[PC] New Build Advice + Parts

aussie123

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 2 to 3 weeks

BUDGET RANGE: $1500-1600 AUD (Don't get rebates cause I live in Australia

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Internet, Parents need to use some accounting software

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, OS (Depending on whether my Dad wants to stay with XP or upgrade to Windows 7, He has stated that he doesn't want Windows 7, propably cause of Vista-Suggestions on how on whether to stay with XP or try to talk him into Windows 7?)

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: http://www.newegg.com

PARTS PREFERENCES:
Intel Core i5 750 2.66ghz Quad LGA1156
ASUS S1156 P7P55D Pro Core i5
DDR3 4GB G.Skill Ripjaws 1600mHz PC12800
Western Digital 1TB SATAII HDD 32M Cache
XFX ATI HD5770 1G PCIe
Antec Nine Hundred 2 Black Case (No PS)
Antec TruePower 650W TP-650
LG H22NS50 SATA 22X+- DVDR Black
Samsung 2033 SW+ 20"
Logitech X-230 2.1 Speakers System
(Selected these parts, which have recieved good feedback from the reviews I've read, would like some feedback on the Speakers)

OVERCLOCKING: No

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No (Maybe in the future but not now)

MONITOR RESOLUTION: What ever the 2033SW+ supports to

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: The 5770, I've heard has had some crashes with some drivers, should I be concerned or should I...(what?) Parts Ok? Suggestions te keep within budget?

sonic-boom

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2009
Looks good, just get a Spinpoint f3 HDD instead of that WD cheaper and faster. The 5770 does not have crash problems, atleast now. New drivers came out 2 days ago and it works great.
Windows 7 is a much better OS than vista and should no way be looked down upon because of vista. IT is a much wiser decision than XP.

aussie123

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Good to hear about the 5770 and Windows 7 :). The store that I'm getting the parts from don't stock the spinpoint, :(, and I've had some bad experience with Seagate and good experience with WD :D.
Thanks for the reply :)

dpaul8

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
Definitely go with Windows 7 over Windows XP. Although I was a big fan of Windows XP, and skipped Vista altogether, I like Windows 7 even more than XP. There are lots of little improvements in Windows 7 that make navigating easier and thoughtful. For instance, I really like the listing of the hard drive path at the top of many screens, so you know where you are and you can jump back anywhere along the path with one click. In addition, the task bar layout and aero interface are cool looking and very functional. Last of all, Windows 7 is very stable, and is great at loading the correct drivers for new hardware.

dpaul8

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009

Windows 7 Professional has an XP mode that should let you run business software according to the link below:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/products/features/windows-xp-mode

I have not tried this so please do not take my word for it. You need to inquire with Microsoft and the software manufacturer about your particular legacy software and its ability to run under Windows 7 (XP emulation mode).

A sometimes equally difficult problem is finding the original software disks to load onto the new computer and getting the software activated. Sometimes you will have to work with the software manufacturer to deactivate the software on your old computer before you can activate it on your new computer.

Good luck.