Acer Travelmate 8000 and Aspire 2020 display comparison.

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 22, 2004 6:55:48 AM

I'm having a hard time deciding between these two notebooks. Both seem
ideal, but since I'm buying blind I don't get a chance to see how good the
screens are.

I read that the TravelMate 8000 has 200-nit brightness (not even sure what
nits are!) but that the viewing angle/contrast is poor. The Aspire 2020
has 185-nit brightness, but most of the feedback I've seen is great for
this display, and it apparently has a great viewing angle.

Can anyone tell me more about these two displays? Also, does the 14-inch
wide body on the Aspire 2020 make it difficult to haul about (I am using
this as a travel-friendly main computer!)?

Thanks!

a b D Laptop
June 22, 2004 12:54:52 PM

"Foofy (formerly known as Spaghetti)" <spaghetti@aspyre.net> wrote in
news:o pr9zhjagf1rrme2@yam.mshome.net:

> I'm having a hard time deciding between these two notebooks. Both seem
> ideal, but since I'm buying blind I don't get a chance to see how
> good the screens are.
>
> I read that the TravelMate 8000 has 200-nit brightness (not even sure
> what nits are!) but that the viewing angle/contrast is poor. The
> Aspire 2020 has 185-nit brightness, but most of the feedback I've
> seen is great for this display, and it apparently has a great viewing
> angle.
>
> Can anyone tell me more about these two displays? Also, does the
> 14-inch wide body on the Aspire 2020 make it difficult to haul about
> (I am using this as a travel-friendly main computer!)?
>
> Thanks!

Not sure about Aspire 2020 screen, but it seems like many laptop owners
agree that SXGA+ screens have worse vertical viewing angle than WXGA.
There are some good SXGA+ screens but not in the Acer line (Acer uses LG
panels).

Hopefully some other people will chime in.

Alexei
!