Sign in with
Your question

Changing the pci express slot for a tv tuner

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 24, 2009 6:07:56 PM

My brother got a pc last year for christmas, but it used onboard graphics, so i put in a video card for him. The problem is, the video card is right above a tv tuner, and it greatly increases the temperature of the video card (ive seen it as high as 85 C). So, im thinking of moving the tv tuner down to the pci express x1 slot under the one its in now, but im just wondering if this would cause driver/performance issues for the tv tuner. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
a c 273 U Graphics card
November 24, 2009 6:22:22 PM

I'm running my TV card in an PCIe x1 slot and it's fine but mine is an x1 card to begin with.
m
l
a c 176 U Graphics card
November 24, 2009 6:23:53 PM

? Why would it?

Depending on the card 85c might be normalish. They do run a lot hotter then CPUs.
m
l
Related resources
November 24, 2009 9:05:59 PM

One time when I had to move a video card from one PCI slot to another (it was a PIII 933) I had to reinstall the drivers. That was all that happened. As for a TV tuner, I would think it would just do a couple of things behind in the background but that should be it.
m
l
a c 176 U Graphics card
November 24, 2009 10:43:04 PM

There is a big difference between a shared bus like PCI, and a direct serial bus like PCIe.
m
l
!