Distinguished
May 25, 2010
Asus p5b-e mobo
e8400 core 2 duo wolfdale 45nm
en9800gt overclocked by asus
Corsair 650w psu
Gskill 2x2gb, 1x1gb pc6400DDRII

OK!
so, I had been running vista x64 for a while on the machine, and everything seemed to be running fine. I tried upgrading to W7, and the install seemed to be clean. However, I started seeing BSOD's while running CODMW2, and operating normally. I figured this to be because Asus has no drivers written for Win7 for my mobo.

So when I go back to Vista, sometimes the install freezes. The couple times it's worked, and I've installed all other drivers etc, the Ethernet controller won't work.

I've tried a few different versions of the drivers, uninstalling and re installing, disabling the nic in the device manager and re-enabling, tried in safe mode, with no luck so far.

Windows seems to have accepted the drivers if they install, which sometimes they don't, they freeze up at like 99.99%. When this happens, windows tells me there is a hardware problem with the Ethernet controller.

Try uninstalling the drivers in your current system. Re-start and when the OS "Found new hardware" pop-up appears, you choose the device (ethernet controller (your make and model), and have Windows search for the driver on the CD that came with the motherboard.