Sound board/driver woes

The sound on my system has become choppy (where it will suddenly get really soft, the suddenly go back to normal volume). There are a few games now where the voices are super soft while the rest of the sounds (ambient noise, effects, etc.) are at a "normal" pitch.

I am semi computer savvy and suspect that there are conflicting audio drivers, but I just can't figure out how to fix the problem. From Belarc Advisor in the Multimedia section:

1)ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio - ATI AA01
2)Creative Game Port
3)Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)

Thanks for the help!
5 answers Last reply
More about sound board driver woes
  1. What version of windows do you have? Iv had issues with Windows 7 and Creative cards
  2. stupid question - you have fiddled with the plugs into the soundcard? some of the sockets can be really picky and don't work if they're jammed all the way in or slightly loose.

i can't imagine it being a driver problem unless the problem started suddenly after changing the settings/installing new drivers etc. reset bios maybe? (in which case you need to on-chip sound back off)
  3. Thank you for the replies! I am using Windows XP w/SP3. The sound was working great but then it started getting goofy, but the timing was paper cut-like, and I couldn't remember exactly when it started.

I did update the drivers for my graphics card (ASUS EAH4850 series [Display adapter]) around the time the sound began to flake out, and when I went back to see what was included I realized that the update included sound drivers. I used the uninstall feature to remove all elements from ATI's Catalyst Control Center and other assorted goodies with the install. I reinstalled the graphics driver and unchecked the audio driver. Alas, the sound is still up and down.
  4. MAYBE try uninstalling the sound drivers (maybe even the card itself), then re-installing in case that can fix it.
  5. Thanks Paperdoc - I uninstalled the sound drivers, removed the card, booted up, reinstalled the card and the newest drivers, and wha-la! The sound is working fine now. Thanks everyone for the help!
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Systems