Sign in with
Your question

Sound board/driver woes

Last response: in Systems
November 19, 2009 9:43:00 PM

The sound on my system has become choppy (where it will suddenly get really soft, the suddenly go back to normal volume). There are a few games now where the voices are super soft while the rest of the sounds (ambient noise, effects, etc.) are at a "normal" pitch.

I am semi computer savvy and suspect that there are conflicting audio drivers, but I just can't figure out how to fix the problem. From Belarc Advisor in the Multimedia section:

1)ATI Function Driver for High Definition Audio - ATI AA01
2)Creative Game Port
3)Creative SB Audigy 2 ZS (WDM)

Thanks for the help!
a b B Homebuilt system
November 20, 2009 6:52:12 AM

What version of windows do you have? Iv had issues with Windows 7 and Creative cards
November 20, 2009 8:11:19 AM

stupid question - you have fiddled with the plugs into the soundcard? some of the sockets can be really picky and don't work if they're jammed all the way in or slightly loose.

i can't imagine it being a driver problem unless the problem started suddenly after changing the settings/installing new drivers etc. reset bios maybe? (in which case you need to on-chip sound back off)
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
November 20, 2009 11:50:43 AM

Thank you for the replies! I am using Windows XP w/SP3. The sound was working great but then it started getting goofy, but the timing was paper cut-like, and I couldn't remember exactly when it started.

I did update the drivers for my graphics card (ASUS EAH4850 series [Display adapter]) around the time the sound began to flake out, and when I went back to see what was included I realized that the update included sound drivers. I used the uninstall feature to remove all elements from ATI's Catalyst Control Center and other assorted goodies with the install. I reinstalled the graphics driver and unchecked the audio driver. Alas, the sound is still up and down.
a b B Homebuilt system
November 20, 2009 2:25:51 PM

MAYBE try uninstalling the sound drivers (maybe even the card itself), then re-installing in case that can fix it.
November 23, 2009 2:19:07 PM

Thanks Paperdoc - I uninstalled the sound drivers, removed the card, booted up, reinstalled the card and the newest drivers, and wha-la! The sound is working fine now. Thanks everyone for the help!
!