OCing Phenom ii x6 1090t issues

pcpro1000

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
So i followed the guide stickied in the OC forums on OCing black edition cpus and i got to 4.0Ghz before it wouldnt boot and i manually set all the mem stuff just like the guide said to. I then took the Vcore out of auto and started to raise it until i could get it to boot windows. I finally booted with the Vcore manually set to 1.393, I then started the 3DMark11 tests to see if it could make it through and be somewhat stable, it makes it through the graphics tests but as soon as it hits the first cpu test it stops running and goes black and i have to hit exc and it comes up with an error saying it stopped working unexpectedly. during the tests my cpu hasnt gone above 47C so i know its not a temp issue. I did read about lowering the mem speed and adjusting the NB frequency and voltage, i didnt try it because i was a little unclear on how to do either of the 2. Ill list my setup and hopefully one of you pros out there can help me get past the 4Ghz mark. If you need anymore info on my system lemme know ill check this frequently until i get this all figured out.

mobo: asus m4a89gtd pro/usb3
cpu: amd phenom ii x6 1090t(black edition)
psu: corsair ax1200
ram: G.skill ripjaws 8gb(2x4gb) 1333
gpu: evga gtx470(gelid icy vision)
case: apevial telstar
hd: WD 1tb

I have lots of cooling and a corsair H100 on the way :)

your help is appreciated!

pcpro1000

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
ok so i turned up the cpu/nb freq to 2600 and cpu/nb voltage to 1.25 and got it to clear 3dmark11!

but then i tried to up the cpu/nb freq to 2800 and the voltage a little too and now for some reason whenever i restart or *** down or anything when i try to come back up the bios take forever, and it gets stuck on autodetecting sata 2...

then after forever it detects my HD as a IDE hard disk and it will take me into the bios

any ideas?

Sounds to me like your overclock goal needs to be lowered. Not all CPU's hit the average frequency everyone is overclocked to. You have a good chip, comes at 3.2 i believe. If you would down it to 3.8 and check it. I have friend that have used your CPu and the 1100T and mostly they just go stable for 3.6,3.7,3.8.

you may want to try clearing CMOS if your BIOS starts getting...funky. ANd start from the bottom again with your overclocking. Take it easy and take your time. Your new to this, there is no need to rush through it. Most people spend hours to overclock to check things for stability, temps and just to see what the board and CPU can handle if they have to settle with that frequency.

pcpro1000

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
you're totally right and i appreciate your honesty. im doing a ton of research been working on this for a good 12 hours now lol i got the bios to clear up and it boots as it should now no more errors with the sata2. i got it to stabilize at 4ghz and saved all the settings. im gonna shoot for 4.1 and if i can get that ill stop haha. if i fry something then i suppose itll be a lesson learned but i got a bonus coming and i want a new mobo anyways. it does make it hard though when every website or forum i go to has different max temps and volts and such, is there one place i can go to with sure fire stats and ratings?

Copying someone's overclock settings is a good idea, but sometimes it isn't allways the smart thing today. Because you must keep in mind... Your chip more than likely came from a different batch than theirs, their motherboard could be better or worse than yours....

If i were you, i'd shoot for 3.9-4.0 and STOP, until i got a better board that i felt stable with.

pcpro1000

Honorable
Apr 3, 2012
ya for sure, that's kinda what i did at first and ran on that for a few days. But the more i read i felt worse and worse about that so i wiped it and started over following some of the guides on this forum, but they just dont go into depth about the NB freq and voltage tweaking or the mem speed adjustment. the only things i look at as far as other peoples overclocks is just to get an idea of the hardwares limits

No reason you can't find a sweet spot around 4GHz -- sounds like you did, and got greedy with your IMC/NB :lol:

You need to re-set your CMOS, and/or possibly re-flash your BIOS to eliminate any possible corruption from your doinks ..

If you could post up your main settings it would help.

What is your HT Link speed? Have you disabled Turbo and the core ratio (or set it 1:1)? LLC? Did you do anything with your memory speed and timings? Lock PCIe to 100MHz? Disable spread spectrum? Ungang the memory controller?

Are you using more than a single utility to verify your temps and volts? It is good to check with a number of programs, but overall the Asus Probe utility and AMD OD work for me.

Advanced cooling is good, but your temps do not appear to be any problem for you. Let's hope that be reality -- and not a sensor/reading issue.

That's a great motherboard/cpu combo. Approaching 4GHz with the IMC/NB around 2500MHz, and your rig can GFLOP with the best of 'em.

It's important at higher clocks and that motherboard to micro-manage LLC and core over-voltage to minimize volt swings -- that's one point in disabling Turbo and the core ratio as it will boost the volts and cpu multipliers to individual cores.