Cooler for A Phenom 955 BE

Niallh

Distinguished
May 21, 2011
I did a search on this but couldnt find anything for it.

Just wondering if anyone can recommend a good cooler for OC'ing my AMD Phenom 955 BE. Nothing too major, this is my first time OC'ing so I dont plan to try anything too risky, will be happy to take it from 3.2 to 3.8 GHz.

Also someone told me to try out the AMD Overdrive, said it is easier than going through the BIOS. Is this worth a look or should I just learn to do it through the BIOS?

jockey

Distinguished
Feb 28, 2010
The stock cooler will handle a mild OC. Make sure you monitor your temps. @ 3.8, I recommend either the Coolermaster 212 series or the CM 520N. Both are relatively small and fit in most cases.
As far as AMD OD vs. Bios, go with the Bios method. It is simply a matter of increasing the CPU multiplier. You can leave the mobo cpu voltage set to auto.
There is a nice guideline at the top of the CPU/AMD forum page here at TH.

Niallh

Distinguished
May 21, 2011

Cheers, I will give it a look.

I had ordered before any of the responses unfortunatly, but hopefully what I went with does the trick.

Ordered a Cooler Master Hyper TX3

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=HS-034-CM

New case and the cooler arrive tomorrow so hopefully all goes well and it fits because I noticed yesterday my RAM and current cooler are within a centimetre of each other.

Thanks for all the other responses aswell, much appreciated