quinnte

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
I recently built a new system and put the PSU at the bottom of the case with the fan pointed upwards. The thing I'm worried about is that the air flows directly into my Radeon 5770, which has it's fan pointed downward. With both of these venting heat into relatively the same area, am I risking overheating? I've got a 120mm fan on the side of the case, one in the front, and one on top, plus a smaller (80mm?) fan on the back about even with the CPU, so I know the air flow's pretty damn nice, but I'm just not sure it's enough to vent out that small, boxed in area between the PSU and the GPU. Any advice?

(i'll try to get a picture posted)

I can't really picture that setup, but it sounds pretty sketchy.

If you can't move the PSU to the top, you might at least see about putting a PCI slot fan in between the PSU and video card, and maybe that'll be enough to exhaust the hot air out the back:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835199010

Of course, with that many fans blowing in opposite directions and competing with each other, it's hard to say exactly what will happen. I'd move the PSU somewhere else if I were you.

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
@capt_taco: PSU positioning isn't that easy. If his case design do have the PSU at the bottom, he can't just put it to the top so easily. Same with the 'somewhere else' you said. That's pretty stupid comment IMO.

@OP: You PSU fan sucks air inside the case, so is the graphics card's fan. They're not blowing to the same place like you said. If that is your case, I suggest you should make the side fan as intake or leave it empty.

Yeah? And do you have any information about whether his case requires the PSU at the bottom? No -- you assumed, just like I assumed there MIGHT be another way to arrange it. And advised him to change it IF it was possible. Kind of pushing it to call someone stupid over that.

quinnte

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
the case is a cooler master HAF 932 and the PSU is a cooler master silent pro 700. I'm assuming the PSU fan vents air out of the PSU and up into the case, which is fine because the 120mm fan at the top vents everything out. the Radeon cards are so long though I think it might trap heat in a little pocket at the bottom of the case.

the case supports the PSU at the bottom or the top, but it came set up for it to be at the bottom. All i'd have to do is remove the top fan and unscrew the back plate at the top of the case and it'd fit just fine, but if it's not a danger i'd like to leave it at the bottom because i like the top case fan.

That's why you mount the PSU on the bottom with its fan facing up - to help provide airflow for that little pocket.

masterjaw

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009

He told it himself, you fool.

You don't even have the basic knowledge of the GPU and PSU fans' scenario (meaning you're just a fool who just barges in to something you didn't know). I think anyone who answered this thread (except you of course) knows how to picture his scenario because they really know it. And even if the HAF 932 is capable of mounting the PSU on top doesn't mean it would be better to do it that way. I speak for myself because it is optimal to put PSU at the bottom because:

(1) lower case center of gravity, low noise
(2) less heating items at the top (away from the cpu)
(3) more room for airflow with exhaust at the top
(4) aesthetics?
(5) etc.

@OP: don't worry about the pocket of air building up between the power supply and the video card. As long as you have an intake at the front, it would be fine. Better yet if your video card is exhausting air out directly from the PCI slots.

Yeah, except that he didn't say anything about the model/design of his case until AFTER the first response I posted. Did you read the thread? Anyone who wrote anything before that was just guessing what kind of setup he had or how it was designed. It could've been anything.

I don't know if you get your kicks by snapping at people over nothing, or what your deal is, but it sure gets old fast.