Sign in with
Your question

Think my PSU is broken

Last response: in Components
February 2, 2010 9:35:08 PM

I've been having problems with my computer for a while now. It will crash, but it's not always a sudden crash. My computer will pause (music stops playing, mouse freezes, and if I'm playing a game it will freeze as well) for a second, then resume for a few seconds until it freezes again. This cycle will happen one or two times (once it happened about 7 times). Eventually my computer will flat out freeze (no BSOD) and the red cpu light will remain on. This problem has been happening for a while, but it recently has gotten significantly worse. I reformatted my hard drive about a month ago, and it hasn't solved anything. I'm thinking that it's a problem with my power supply, so I downloaded two different voltage reading programs. They both say that my CPU (e6400) core1 voltage is 1.18V and core2 voltage is 1.9V, but it should be around 1.25V. Also, it is reading that my +12V line is running at 1.15V and my -12V is at -16.97V. That makes me think that there is something being misread, but I could be wrong. I don't have any PSU to replace it with to test if it works or not. If anyone has any ideas what my problem could be, it would be greatly appreciated.

Additional information: I can't seem to find a pattern to when my computer will crash. Sometimes it will last hours with no problems, others it will crash within 15 minutes of starting up. Sometimes it crashes while I'm playing games, and sometimes it crashes when I'm not at my keyboard and have nothing running.

More about : psu broken

February 2, 2010 10:10:37 PM

I sadly do not have a multimeter.
m
l
Related resources
a c 248 ) Power supply
February 2, 2010 10:12:29 PM

Please list your components, including your power supply.

Which programs or utilities were you using to get the readings?

What programs or tests were you running when you took the readings?
m
l
February 2, 2010 10:48:26 PM

I'm running windows XP.

PSU - Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550
RAM - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) DDR2 800 Model F2-6400CL4D
Mobo - GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3
CPU - Core 2 Duo e6400
Vid card - nvidia 8800 GT

I used speedfan and mbm 5 to monitor the voltages and an exe called cpustabtest to put stress on my cpu, in addition to the programs that start up with windows (live mesenger, open office quicklaunch, HP printer driver, daemon tools, spybot s&d, avg anti-virus, and logitech keyboard drivers)

Additional information: I can't seem to find a pattern to when my computer will crash. Sometimes it will last hours with no problems, others it will crash within 15 minutes of starting up. Sometimes it crashes while I'm playing games, and sometimes it crashes when I'm not at my keyboard and have nothing running.
m
l
!