peedabz

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
Hello,I got this problem before "CHECKSUM error, defaults loaded blah blah blah" appearing evrytime i boot my Windows XP. OTHER SYMPTOMS: the clock is always go on reset and I need to manually change it every now and then. So, as advised here, in this forum, I changed my battery (Lithium 2032, 3v) with new one.

BUT......the problem persists...i can still see that error message during boot...what do you think is the problem?? I noticed that this problems only occured after many updates of this window... PLEASE HELP ME!! =(
:( :( :(

nocheese

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Most likely has nothing to do with XP (or another installed OS) as that is a BIOS generated message. Possibly your CMOS is corrupt.

Check the electrical connections on the battery holder to make sure that is OK, possibly put a new battery in (sometimes even new batteries are bad) and if still happening flash your BIOS to the latest version (or reflash if you are already at the latest).

Generally two ways: from inside Windows or from a boot floppy or USB drive. From outside of Windows is generally safer, but more difficult.

Go to the manufacturer's website and follow the directions exactly. This is one place where, if something goes wrong, you can ruin your motherboard.

Generally, you download the BIOS update and transfer it to a floppy disk, following the instructions. Then you boot from the floppy - you need to go into the BIOS and change the boot order - and let it run.

I don't have a UPS, so being pretty paranoid, if I am going to flash a motherboard BIOS, I do it late at night. The power grid seems to be a little more stable. If your PSU hiccups, well, this is one of those things that can go wrong.

I have had to flash the motherboard BIOS on several computers. Never had a problem, but you need to be aware of the risks.

peedabz

Distinguished
May 25, 2010
Hey thank you for that detailed answer. I just have one concern, wat could be the risk that might happen In doing that FLASHING thing...actually Im not a computer course or even degree graduate. I just do it by myself because I believe I know my PC more than anybody else does....hehehe sounds corny but I wanna do it by myself.

Can I save that downloaded updates in Flash Disk (USB)??? Or I must save it on a floppy??? Coz I already junked my Floppy Drive coz I used USB Flash Disk more often now.

And do you think reformating my PC could resolve the problem??? If so, maybe thats the safest thing to do in my case...

Thank You again...

nocheese

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009

One risk is making the motherboard unusable, but it dounds like we are already there.

How you perform the flash (need floppy, can use USB, etc...) will vary from motherboard to motherboard.

Reformatting your PC won't make any difference. As I pointed out earlier, this is a BIOS issue and has nothing to do with any operating system on the machine.