Sign in with
Your question

Top 5 Most Frequent Drive Accesses by Type and Percentage:

Last response: in Storage
October 16, 2011 11:57:40 PM

http://thessdreview.com/ssd-guides/buyers-guide/the-ssd...

very interesting article.

I would like to discuss with people who are into looking further into these numbers and digging a bit deeper.

I am also interested in if possible finding out the location in windows which would have the most disk activity so i can consider putting those directories on a ram drive or another hard drive / ssd depending on file size and type of access read / write3

Top 5 Most Frequent Drive Accesses by Type and Percentage:
-8K Read (7.60%)
-8K Write (56.35%)
-1K Write (6.10%)
-16 Write (5.79%)

-64K Read (2.49%)

Top 5 account for: 78.33% of total drive access over test period

Largest access size in top 50: 256K Read (0.44% of total)

what i found myself was 8k was the most common for writes and that reads were much less often and much larger average size of 32kb

I would very much like to see some numbers on different ssd for these size reads and writes

does anybody know of a better tool then diskmon
a c 303 G Storage
October 17, 2011 2:04:32 AM

It is a generalization. A lot will depend on configuration, software application, tasks to be performed, and what one does with a computer.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
October 17, 2011 2:14:58 AM

This is a very interesting article, and I wholeheartedly agree with his basic message that transfer rates alone are often a poor indication real-world performance. I'd guess that cases his conclusions are completely valid for the 90% or more of people who buy their SSDs to use as an OS drive.

But there are other cases as well - for example people who buy their SSDs to use as scratch files for photo or video editing or to hold games may well find that sequential transfers play a larger role than random accesses. So it's important to have an understanding of what your workload is like so you know what kind of performance you need to pay the most attention to.

Windows has a built-in tool called "Performance Monitor" (you can run it by clicking "Start", typing "Perfmon", and hitting <enter>) that can tell you things like how deep the queue is to your drives, what the average I/O size is, what percentage of I/Os are reads vs. writes, and so on. It's a terrific tool for anyone trying to understand what's going on inside their system, which is the first step in trying to optimize its performance.
m
l
a c 303 G Storage
October 17, 2011 2:37:27 AM

^5 +1 what sminlal said!

Things like compiling, rendering, and transcoding processes can defintely alter the results.
m
l
October 17, 2011 5:23:08 PM

Sure
like i said for me
its 8k reads
and average 32k writes

does anybody know which ssd would be best with these particular two operations?

also does the writes being behind really slow your system down much or is it mostly reads that are what gives a noticable improvements

for reads your computer can not move forward until they are done but for writes i don't know if windows allows the que to back up and if so how much.

i will check that tool

any body got any ideas on the directories that are being accesed
like the temp folder
or system32
i don't know
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
October 17, 2011 9:46:53 PM

I can't cite any performance figures for specific drives - you'd be best off just checking the review sites for them. If they don't have a specific measurement for 8K reads (for example) then it's probably reasonable to extrapolate an intermediate figure from whatever they report for 4K reads and the next higher block size.

If I was buying an SSD right now I wouldn't loose any sleep over minor differences in performance. As I mentioned in your other thread, a 100X performance improvement in benchmarks doesn't translate to 100X faster wall-clock times - in fact the real-world difference is much, much less. Any SSD is going to perform much better than a HDD - the differences between similar SSDs are very minor in comparison.

If I was buying an SSD right now I'd be more concerned about firmware issues which have been plaguing some of the drives. I'd be looking for a product that's had a stable firmware release for at least a few months before I'd be looking for the fastest possible performance.
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
October 17, 2011 11:43:00 PM

Well, I see that the drive was recalled earlier this year due to "stability issues": http://www.engadget.com/2011/06/08/corsair-recalls-its-...

If I were considering the drive I'd want seek some assurance that those problems have been addressed and no new ones have surfaced.

Maybe there's someone else lurking here that has some experience with them???
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
October 18, 2011 4:29:55 PM

The fact that this firmware has just been released is not the best sign, IMHO. If it were me I'd want there to be a bit of a track record before I trusted it. But that's because I value stability and reliability over performance - your priorities may be different.
m
l
a c 303 G Storage
October 18, 2011 6:11:47 PM

This morning I read several articles about the firmware update. Apparently it is for a specific firmware bug that causes a specific bsod. Not all users experience the exact same firmware bug. Some may be different.
m
l
October 18, 2011 6:21:59 PM

are the mercury extreme drives having problems?
or vertex 3 or agility 3?
m
l
a c 303 G Storage
October 18, 2011 8:13:21 PM

Haven't heard much about OWC lately. OWC specializes in the Apple/Mac market. The company issued a firmware update for their SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd's two months ago. Currently there are no new updates at their web site. That may or may not change.

According to a press release SadForce is making the firmware update available to all companies that use SadForce 2XXX controllers. It is not limited to OCZ.
m
l
a c 303 G Storage
October 18, 2011 8:58:38 PM

alohascott - just saw this at Hot hardware:

"OCZ just made available new firmware that's supposed to fix a handful of stability issues with certain SandForce-based solid state drives (SSDs). Affected SSDs include the Vertex 3 series, Vertex 3 Max IOPS series, Agility 3 series, and Solid 3 series."
m
l
October 21, 2011 9:28:08 AM

aloha
so i followed your advice.
found the fastest drives and then looked down the line until i found one with recent good feedback.
lucky it was on sale

ocz vertex 3 120gb for under 150
at newegg

it is one with a sandforce controller
but like i said the recent feedback for that particular size and model is very positive.
m
l
!