New build, old sound card or onboard?

letsrahk

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Building a new computer and on my soon to be old rig I use a SB Audigy 2 ZS. Will that be better than using onboard sound with a board that uses either VIA VT1828S or Realtek ALC889?

kiren

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
Since you already have it I'd say try both and see if you can tell the difference. I can say that onboard audio has come a long way, my last build I decided that it was 'good enough', but that's a pretty subjective call and you already have the card...

It's true that the Audigy 2 should be able to provide a better sound experience, however the problem is that creative isn't interested in providing you drivers for Win 7 that take advantage of the cards features when they are trying to sell you their new product. Onboard sound has come a long way and is 'good enough' for most. Like Kiren says though it's best to try both (assuming you get the creative to work right :D ) and decide for yourself.

letsrahk

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Yeah, I guess I should just try both. Just seems a bit disappointing that my 4 year old sound card would still work better than onboard audio. The other thing I've considered is if I should get a new sound card but I'm thinking either the onboard or my Audigy should be "good enough"