Sign in with
Your question

New build, old sound card or onboard?

Last response: in Components
February 2, 2010 10:28:07 PM

Building a new computer and on my soon to be old rig I use a SB Audigy 2 ZS. Will that be better than using onboard sound with a board that uses either VIA VT1828S or Realtek ALC889?
February 3, 2010 4:28:02 AM

Since you already have it I'd say try both and see if you can tell the difference. I can say that onboard audio has come a long way, my last build I decided that it was 'good enough', but that's a pretty subjective call and you already have the card...
February 3, 2010 2:10:10 PM

It's true that the Audigy 2 should be able to provide a better sound experience, however the problem is that creative isn't interested in providing you drivers for Win 7 that take advantage of the cards features when they are trying to sell you their new product. Onboard sound has come a long way and is 'good enough' for most. Like Kiren says though it's best to try both (assuming you get the creative to work right :D  ) and decide for yourself.
Related resources
February 3, 2010 2:10:43 PM

I would say you should use it.
It was one of the top Audigy cards and it should have better sound quality than your onboard codec.
February 3, 2010 2:14:43 PM

well the audgy 2 ZS does have win 7 drivers, but there are reports that they are missing features and what nots, but thats near the launch of win 7 and they may have matured now
February 3, 2010 2:50:20 PM

Onboard Realtek HD, can't go wrong and you get very good driver support.
February 3, 2010 6:00:47 PM

Yeah, I guess I should just try both. Just seems a bit disappointing that my 4 year old sound card would still work better than onboard audio. The other thing I've considered is if I should get a new sound card but I'm thinking either the onboard or my Audigy should be "good enough"
!