Status
Not open for further replies.

voj

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Hello,

another person with a strange 5770 issue:

My config:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Ga-P55-Ud3 (latest bios)

Gfx card: Sapphire Radeon HD5770

PSU: ocz modxstream pro 500w (+12V1 18A, +12V2 18A)

Proc: Intel Core i5

Mem: 2x2GB OCZ (1066Mhz)

My computer used to freeze in many different situations (internet browsing, benchmarks, idle) I've updated Bios, done fresh Windows install with the newest drivers and all my problems are gone except hangs with colour vertical lines (the same as presented in other topics)

What's interesting:

- they appear in 3d Mark 06 (but the newest Vantage always runs great!)

- they appear in DX11 Heaven benchmark (dx10 is ok, and other dx11 demos like AMD's Ladybug are OK, I also think that DX11 without tesselation is OK - yet to be checked)

- testing with Furmark shows no problems

- testing with http://www.mikelab.kiev.ua/PROGRAMS/vmt.zip shows no problems at all

What I've done:

- replace PSU (I've read that 5770 should have 40 ampers +12V rail - so I checked Tagan - only 450W but 40 ampers +12V rails) - the vertical lines effect is still there

- give my radeon to a friend - he had no problems at all with my card!!!

- so I thought - maybe my system is wrong: - checked with memtest86+,prime95 - no errors, I replaced my card with GeForce - no hangs/freezing/verticals !!

I don't know what to think about it! Does my "properly working in different computer" radeon card simply refuse to work with my config ? (which has no problems with a different card!)

I also tried to disable Ati's powerplay, turn off energy saving functions in bios - with no effect :(

Do you think that it could be a PSU problem in my case? I don't do OC, I have only one hdd, no other pci cards, only 1 additional fan.

Sorry for my poor English, I'm not a native speaker ;)

rawsteel

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2006
May be overheat prob.

What is the difference between your case and your friends case. May be he have better ventilated case.

Try following:
1. Open your case
2. Set fan at 100% and test if it will still do it
3. downclock the card a little bit using Overdrive

Also It could be driver problem for Windows 7 64 bit. Whats your friends system OS?
If its same , try different catalyst drivers (9.9, I dont think you have great choice here) or the ones that came with the card

voj

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Thanks for the quick answer

I doubt it's an overheat problem. The card temps are normal (never above 75 during stress). I did an experiment - slowed down a fan and run Furmark - @95 degrees - it was very stable (no crash, no artifacts).
It can crash just after turning the computer on - so it I think it can't be realted with the heat.
Maybe it's not overheated - maybe it's too cold? :lol: I've read such suggestions somewhere.
My case is Antec Sonata Solo, every component (with a sensor :) ) seems to have the right temperature.

I'll try the downclock trick.

My friend OS is WindowsXP/Ubuntu (on both the card was stable)
I didn't try 9.9 beacause I've heard that there were problems with card detection (but I'll try)

It's quite hard situation for me, becasue I would RMA the card (my comp is stable with a different card),
but if my radeon works on my friend's computer - it could run flawless during service test and the card will be returned :(

johnnyq1233

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2007
Does your friend have the same mother board/cpu as you?
If he's running an AMD system then it might come down to compatability with the intel chipset....?
Just my thoughts no proof behind this at all !!!!
JQ

voj

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Thanks,

@zipzoomflyhigh
I removed all NVidia drivers/files with driversweeper
It was Tagan, about 450W, 2 rails +12V (20A each), with a switch doing something with dividing the power among rails,
but in both positions the problem was appearing.
Do you think these PSUs could be too weak for such system?

@johnnyq1233
You're right - he's running AMD system (Phenom triple-Core)
If it's a kind of an incompability issue, do you think it could be solved with the new driver/bios?

voj

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Hello,

I have probably found a (temporary) solution!

The inspiration was in this old post: http://www2.yougamers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=106077

In my case the crash, like the one above, was always appearing - for example - during the 10th minute of Heaven dx11 benchmark. GPU-z was logging the core temperature 60 C and the card's fan was at 50% just before the crash.
So, I set the fan rate at 35% in Ati override - and guess what - no crash! The gpu core is about 80-85 C during stress tests.
It appears that the card loves the heat!

What do you think abut it? I know it shouldn't be like this, I'm going to contact Ati or Sapphire, tell them "my story" and ask for the explanation (if there is any logical one...)

What's the safe temperature for such gpu?
I wouldn't like to burn mine, and put in danger people who would like to follow my steps in this issue.

I've noticed another strange thing: just before the crash, in gpu-z log, the value of VDDC Current %OCP (current consumed at GPU voltage level relative to the overvoltage protection limit) was dropping in half:
it was like that: (the values change every second)
28.1 - 28.1 - 28.1 - 28.1 - 31.3 - 29.7 - 18.8 - 17.2 - 17.2 - crash!
or a different example:
28.1 - 29.7 - 28.1 - 28.1 - 28.1 - 29.7 - 31.3 - 18.8 - 17.2 - crash!
Maybe it means nothing, maybe the drop was just after the graphic card crash, but isn't it interesting?

UPDATE: it still CAN crash - I just have to turn on after the night and run heaven benchmark on the cold device... But when it gets warmer - no crash at all for hours.

hunter89

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
Hello guys i have a XFX ATI RADEON HD 5770 graphic card on windows 7 and i have the same problem with those lines appearing when i watch videos(most times on full screen and also when i watch a mkv video file),also some times the mouse's size on the screen become too big,but as you said guys it never happens while i am playing a game.What is going on,is it a problem between windows 7 and the graphic card driver?Dose anyone knows if there is an update or something?

P.S:A friend of mine use Sapphire HD 5850 on windows 7 dealing the same problem....

voj

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Updating Bios to F5 (gigabyte ga-p55-ud3) solved a few issues, like the big cursor.

A fix for playing movies that worked for me was to set clock to 3d mode with amd gpu clock tool.

My theory above about the warmth of the card is no good - it seems to be only a coincidence.

I hope new drivers will solve these issues....

wild_eep

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
Hi all

Same issue here. Windows 7 64 bit and XFX Radeon HD 5770. Crashes occasionally when using Windows Apps such as IE, Chrome or Visual Studio. Crashes within 5 minutes if playing games.

Screen flickers, goes blank or vertical lines. Requires a hard reboot.

Have tried Cat 9.11, 9.12 beta, driver 8.660, 8.663, 8.671. No luck. New mobo, BIOS dated 06/2009.

From my research, it appears that it is a compatibility issue with Win 7 64bit. Everyone I have seen that is having this problem is running Win 7 x64. And if you take the same card and drivers to a WinXP machine, it works fine. I am considering installing WinXP simply so I can use my new rig.

Come on, ATI, fix the drivers. I want to play Dragon Age, not watch vertical lines...

HAVOCCENTRAL

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Hello,

I'm having the same issue with the Sapphire 5770 and Windows 7 x64. I have two hard drives, and the second is running XP x64 and I havn't had a single problem with the card in XP.

I can play games and run benchmarks in Win 7 without a hitch, I played GTA IV for hours the other day without a problem. I thought it was the HD sound driver for the HDMI port on the card causing the problem, but I disabled it and left my computer on over night and this morning it was locked up with vertical lines, so I can rule that out anyway.

Has anyone heard from ATI on this issue?

emmarcel

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
Hi

I also have frequently crashes of the display driver. This is only when the system is almost idle. So crashes during internet or emailing. It's al fine when using BOINC in the background or flying in FSX.

System is a new build Windows 7 64, Asus EAH5770, MSI 790GX-G65 motherboard, Phenom II 955, 4GB, 550 Watt.

battlemarz

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2008
My month old build just started doing this as well with the following specs.

i5-750 @ 3.8
EVGA P55 FTW
Muskin 7-7-7-20 1600 Ram
Sapphire 5850 using 9.11
Corsair 750 TX
Windows 7 64 Bit :/

Through some googling I have found instances of this problem occurring with 4850s as well.

My crashes seem to happen at random, during games, after reboot, sometimes not for 12 hours.

Anyone have any promising fixes?

Additional Note: Thinking back to the crashes I have had, most of them occurred right after I finished an intensive game session. For example: returning to multiplayer game lobby (HoN), exiting a game (Dirt 2), and after watching a World in Conflict replay. But I have also had two crashes right after reboots.

I'm thinking it has something to do with how the card, drivers, and windows 7 64 is handling the temperature sensor, fan sensor, or voltage readings.

BennehBoy

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
Exact same issue for me

Windows 7 x64
Q6600 processor
MSI P6N 680i reference SLI mobo (P33 BIOS)
4GB Corsair XMS2
Saphire 5770

All at stocks speeds.

Random lock ups to grey green or black screen sometimes with virtical lines.

Just installed the 9.12 ATI drivers and got no joy.

amdatigeek101

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
HI
I had the same problem and i fixed it by geting the latest bios update. once thats done use drive sweeper uninsrtall current drivers restart then install the new ati driver current 9.12

hope this helps

voj

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
Thanks amdatigeek101!
Could you give me some details please?
What Bios have you used? And what's your card model? 5770? Is it Sapphire?

amdatigeek101

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
HI

I AM USING A GYGABYTE BOARD GA-MA78G-DS3H F7D BIOS (LATEST) I HAVE AN XFX ATI 5770

"These sorts of issues can be caused by several things. At first, please ensure mainboard, graphics, and directx drivers are up-to-date. Do not overclock any components including .CPU, RAM etc. Please also make sure your graphic card is getting enough power from the PSU - check the minimum +12V AMPS recommendations for the card against the rating on the back of the PSU. Did you make any hardware or software changes, move the PC or notice any unusual messages on start-up before the problems began? Do you get any error messages on restart? If so try removing any recent programs and see if this helps. Also, please check for viruses and close unnecessary start up programs. If possible can you also test your RAM and hard drive to make sure these are ok, and make sure you have the correct voltages and timings for your RAM. If you see error codes at start up, make sure your components are all wired /connected properly and that your CPU / RAM are fully inserted and CPU heatsink is correctly positioned. If after all checks the errors persist please double check the card on another suitable PC to see if the errors show there, and if so contact your reseller for further returns advice."

this is what xfx has emaile

hope this helps you. let me no of the outcome

amdatigeek101

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
My full spec : windows 7 home prem 32bit
Amd pii 940 quad core (cooled by a zalman 9700nt)
GA-MA78G-DS3H F7D
2 GB ocz reaper ram hpc edtion
1TB samsung hdd F3
800w psu
XFX ATI 5770

codeoflife

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2006
same issue. Random blue screens.

XFX HD 5770.
Windows 7 64bit.
GA-MA770T-UD3P mobo
4GB OCZ DDR3
550W PSU

Note: I got the 9.12 driver to install after disabling driver signing, and de-selected the drag-and-drop component during the install.

No crashes after uninstalling the driver and running on the VGA driver.

Planning on RMAing... had the same issue with a Sapphire HD 4890 earlier...RMAd

Looks like quality control on Radeons is gone..time to go back to nvidia.

Clint_NZ

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I have the same issue as well. System crashes randomly during games with with vertical lines and a different coloured screen each time-grey, black, red, white or frozen image. The headphones screach a horible buzzing noise and i have to reset.

Core i5 750 @2.73
Asus p7P55D EVO
Kingston DDR3 8-8-8-20 1600
Radeon 5770
Enermax 620w psu
2 hdds
Windows 7 64bit

It appears we all have a Radeon card, mostly the 5770 and Win 7 in common. The fault must be something to do with low level drivers or software-hardware compatability. I highly doubt it the temperatures in my case because everything is sub 50 during intense gaming.

voj

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
I'm afraid that's the hardware issue. There are lots of threads around the internet about similar problems.
My card also crashed in Windows XP. I did RMA two days ago, I'll let you know how it ends.

MJN24

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2010
I have the same problems using Sapphire 5770 on windows 7 32bit.

Also, I have been a user of Ray Adams ati tray tool for my previous 4870. Then by the time I used 5770, my screen turns grey consistently everytime I try to install ati tray tool. For me, its ati driver or Sapphire bios problem but not sure.

Hopefully this will get fixed soon.

JDDMichael

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2007
My XFX 5770 has been working rock solid on my Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P AMD Phenom II x3 system using a Corsair 750W PS (Windows 7 64-bit) for 3 weeks. Last night when sitting at the Stark Trek Online login screen waiting for the beta servers to come up, I got the blue screen with vertical lines.

Since then, I've had my system not POST at all, POST, flicker and crash at the BIOS, or boot into Windows and behave for upwards of an hour before crashing again (often, but not always, with the vertical blue lines, and the crashes while in Windows have all been while playing a 3D game).

I was laying in bed thinking that maybe this was something about Star Trek Online (pushing the card harder than WoW does, which is all I have played for the last 3 weeks and it only manifested after installing STO), but I got the vertical lines 20 minutes ago in WoW, 10 seconds after launching it, and after letting my PC sit at the desktop for an hour without issue).

I don't know what the core cause of this is, but the fact that my system has crashed while sitting at the BIOS screen (bottom 1/4th of the screen flickered for 10 seconds and then my screen went black), this seems to be heat related. If I let the system sit for a while it will POST and boot without much arguing. If I try to boot right after a crash, fuggedaboutit.

I am pursuing an RMA on this with NewEgg, but I am starting to have concerns that this card is just bad news.

If any of you find out otherwise please let me know, but I don't see this being resolved by a driver update... but then, I could be wrong.

Tonnie

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
I have the same motherboard and same Sappire 5770 and exactly the same problem. With an infrared thermometer I mesured heated parts on the card. Now 14 jan I cool it with a extra fan and it seems for 2 hours that this problem is solved.
Intresting point is that I had the same problem with the 5750 which I turned in for the 5770. My wife has the same motherboard but with a the radeon 8500 (with heatpipes ) and has no hangups. I think I turn in the card today. I did not even used the card for gaming only low performance.

Tonnie

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2010
This is interesting. I have the same configuration as you have. And with the 5750 Sapphire the same problem. I changed it for the 5770 and again the same problem. So you think it must be the motherboard or the memory etc etc etc. The system hangs when I view a video a certain video with flashplayer. Not with Youtube though. Also my mouse pointer changed suddenly 4 sizes larger. But I think it is all a matter of time when the system heats enough to start crashing. Can you cool it with a fan and see what happens with your system then?

Status
Not open for further replies.