Your question
Solved

Life expectancy - opinions

Last response: in Overclocking
a c 122 à CPUs
a c 90 K Overclocking
April 19, 2012 6:10:47 PM

Hi all,
Here's what I'm working with: AMD Athlon II X3 455 - unlocked to Phenom X4 B55 on an Asus M4A88T-M mobo
Got my 4th core unlocked (under water - couldn't do it on air) but I am still running at 75C (45C over ambient) at 100%. I'm not too concerned about torching the CPU (it can be replaced easy enough) - It runs 100% 24/7 (seti@home - the extra core gives me 20% more work). Here's the question (speculation is welcome)...
How long do you think my CPU will last running @ 75C 24/7?
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 19, 2012 6:56:43 PM

C12Friedman said:
Hi all,
Here's what I'm working with: AMD Athlon II X3 455 - unlocked to Phenom X4 B55 on an Asus M4A88T-M mobo
Got my 4th core unlocked (under water - couldn't do it on air) but I am still running at 75C (45C over ambient) at 100%. I'm not too concerned about torching the CPU (it can be replaced easy enough) - It runs 100% 24/7 (seti@home - the extra core gives me 20% more work). Here's the question (speculation is welcome)...
How long do you think my CPU will last running @ 75C 24/7?

Hello,

Hmm. It's hard to say. How long have you had it OC'd? I would guess maybe a solid year or two. Possibly longer if your components are in good shape.

Edit: What PSU do you use to run it? That would be a major factor as well.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 19, 2012 7:10:35 PM

AMD chips have historically done much worse under high heat conditions than Intel chips. On top of that, the X3s I believe (at least initially) are basically just the lowest binned X4 chips that had one of the cores disabled, so they might have other issues.

I'm going to guess you'll start getting stability issues after several months.
m
l
Related resources
a c 122 à CPUs
a c 90 K Overclocking
April 19, 2012 9:16:51 PM

On this machine I have a Coolmax 750W - stable voltage (tested w/i .1V under load)
m
l
a c 95 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 20, 2012 5:37:44 AM

processor is the part of cpu that almost "immortal" (in proper usage..)

there are many Pentium I cpu which release in 93, that means 19 years old, and still running well..

processor designed to working actually at least for 10 years..
but too much heat and to high overclocking decrease life expectancy.

how much..?

maybe you can use this site for details
http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/index.php?pageid=CPUte...

Athlon II X4 (Propus) 70°C - 72°C => because you unlock your processor..

you've running your processor exceed maximum temp listed.
that condition will decrease life expectancy of your processor more than half..

your processor will work maybe for next 2 or 3 years..
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 20, 2012 8:54:10 AM

My question is why let it run that hot in the first place? My PhenomII x2 550 unlocked to a quad b50 and is overclocked/overvolted and is at 50-55C on air at full load and the same ambient. What are your temps with the 4th core off? You seem to have a cooling problem.
m
l
a c 122 à CPUs
a c 90 K Overclocking
April 20, 2012 9:49:21 AM

unksol said:
My question is why let it run that hot in the first place? My PhenomII x2 550 unlocked to a quad b50 and is overclocked/overvolted and is at 50-55C on air at full load and the same ambient. What are your temps with the 4th core off? You seem to have a cooling problem.

With 3 cores running 100%, I was at 35C (ambient 30C), I am on water. A soon as I opened the 4th core, it heats right up - I can keep it 75C but haven't been able to bring it down. On air the thing went over 85C (shut down and relocked) when unlocked and 100%, I was actually hoping for mid 60's with water.
As far as why, extra 20% work, in Seti@home each processors does it's own work unit, more processors = more work done
NOTE: 20% not 25%... 4 cpu cores, 1 cuda core running
I'm going to be watching my reports to see when/if I start erroring - the processor, mobo and GPU will be replaced then
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 20, 2012 9:54:35 AM

Turn the 4th core off - some get a free bonus - some don't.
-Bruce
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 20, 2012 12:22:19 PM

Quaddro said:
your processor will work maybe for next 2 or 3 years..

2-3 years sounds pretty optimistic to me at such high temperatures, especially for a chip that had to have one of the cores disabled at the factory. It sounds to me like there's something wrong with that fourth core causing the temps to get so high, which is why it was disabled.

I'd honestly be pretty shocked if that chip lasted more than a year. You're pushing a chip that apparently failed quality control from the budget line of the budget brand well past its limit. It's just not going to last very long under those conditions.
a c 122 à CPUs
a c 90 K Overclocking
April 20, 2012 6:58:30 PM

I'm actually looking to replace that unit's innards with an 8 core and 680 (I'll be blasting through WU's then) so burning it up isn't any problem but I'm not going to replace a working processor - I'd do another build but I don't need (or want) 3 towers.
m
l
a c 122 à CPUs
a c 90 K Overclocking
April 26, 2012 11:57:27 PM

Best answer selected by C12Friedman.
m
l
!