Sign in with
Your question

GA-EP45-UD3P Dual Channel problems

Last response: in Motherboards
May 25, 2010 3:30:17 PM

My motherboard has been having issues with dual channel ever since I got it back from RMA to fix a problem with my 12v that wouldn't let me post at all. Gigabyte fixed this issue, but now my board does not want to recognize dual channel, for the most part. While I can boot up with my RAM in slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 4, the computer does not stay stable and eventually either blue screens due to memory issues or crashes for other undocumented reasons. Also, sometimes the computer will be stuck in an endless boot sequence, so the results vary pretty heavily.

My computer was built a few years ago, and this motherboard (which replaced an older one I had in September) had been running dual channel for months until the 12v died on me.

CPU: Q6600 - Stepping B (according to CPU-Z) - Revision G0
MOBO: GA-EP45-UD3P Rev. 1.6
RAM: G.Skill F2-8500CL5D 2x2gb
CPU cooling is a Zalman CNPS9500 (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...)
Corsair 750TX PSU

I just changed out my cooling when I received my repaired motherboard, I used to use Arctic Cooling Freezer Pro 7, which I still have, it's not broken either.

I hope this isn't an issue that can't be resolved, I'd rather not have to RMA my motherboard again since I've only had it for a week and a half. I'd really appreciate any help or advice anyone can give.

More about : ep45 ud3p dual channel problems

a b V Motherboard
May 25, 2010 4:58:18 PM

You may need a BIOS update. I was having similar problems on my GA-EP45-UD3R.

The G'Skill web site doesn't list your board specifically, but it does list these.

GA-EP45-UD3L(Since BIOS F9)
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3LR(Since BIOS F10)
Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R(Since BIOS F12)
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
May 25, 2010 4:58:29 PM

First question: what do you have plugged in, in the way of USB devices? You may think that's a wierd question to ask, when the problem appears to be RAM, but GB's just 'don't like' some USB stuff - and the sysmptoms 'look like' 'semi-corrupted CMOS (in other words, like some 'bad' BIOS settings...), and can include 'reboot loops'! Might want to read the 'Boot Loops' & USB Woes sections of the 'sticky'...

So, I think the first thing to do, is to unplug any USB except keyboard and rodent, and follow the "break a 'boot-loop'" procedure at the end of the 'Boot Loops' section. Once that's done, power down, and remove one of the DIMMs; put the remaining one in DDR2_1 (the yellow slot, nearest the CPU). Download Memtest86+ v4.10 - there is a tutorial (about in the middle of this post) on getting it ready to run, as well as 'alternative means' (floppy - don't use the USB version - the USB may be your problem!) of running it.

Start your machine up; enter the BIOS and execute the "Load Optimized Defaults" from the main BIOS screen; do an <F10> to save & exit. Slip the Memtest CD into the drive (or the floppy - whichever way...), and boot to it - let it run a full pass or two... Note whether it shows any errors; repaet the whole procedure, after pulling that DIMM, and replacing it with the other - same procedure - power up, do "Load Optimized", save & exit, boot to Memtest - couple passes. We are looking at two things here: first, whether the actual, individual modules are working OK; second, whether the BIOS can properly 'read and use' the setup data contained in the SPD on each module...

Once that has been done, the same procedure, but this time with both DIMMs, one in each yellow slot; repeat the "Load Opt", save, exit, and reboot to memtest - this time, now that we know the modules are each good, we're going to be testing the memory controller...

In the meantime, I will get a 'parameter set' together for you - so happens I do have a 'canned' EP45 Q6600, but I have to 'recalc' a few things for your setup...

PS - for your peace of mind, I don't think a faulty 12V could have damaged your DIMMs; the highest voltage on a DIMM is the 3.3V supply for the SPD chip itself - every other voltage available is under two volts; so there's no way any 12V supply got anywhere near them [:bilbat:5]
m
l
Related resources
May 25, 2010 5:54:17 PM

bilbat said:
First question: what do you have plugged in, in the way of USB devices? You may think that's a wierd question to ask, when the problem appears to be RAM, but GB's just 'don't like' some USB stuff - and the sysmptoms 'look like' 'semi-corrupted CMOS (in other words, like some 'bad' BIOS settings...), and can include 'reboot loops'! Might want to read the 'Boot Loops' & USB Woes sections of the 'sticky'...

So, I think the first thing to do, is to unplug any USB except keyboard and rodent, and follow the "break a 'boot-loop'" procedure at the end of the 'Boot Loops' section. Once that's done, power down, and remove one of the DIMMs; put the remaining one in DDR2_1 (the yellow slot, nearest the CPU). Download Memtest86+ v4.10 - there is a tutorial (about in the middle of this post) on getting it ready to run, as well as 'alternative means' (floppy - don't use the USB version - the USB may be your problem!) of running it.

Start your machine up; enter the BIOS and execute the "Load Optimized Defaults" from the main BIOS screen; do an <F10> to save & exit. Slip the Memtest CD into the drive (or the floppy - whichever way...), and boot to it - let it run a full pass or two... Note whether it shows any errors; repaet the whole procedure, after pulling that DIMM, and replacing it with the other - same procedure - power up, do "Load Optimized", save & exit, boot to Memtest - couple passes. We are looking at two things here: first, whether the actual, individual modules are working OK; second, whether the BIOS can properly 'read and use' the setup data contained in the SPD on each module...

Once that has been done, the same procedure, but this time with both DIMMs, one in each yellow slot; repeat the "Load Opt", save, exit, and reboot to memtest - this time, now that we know the modules are each good, we're going to be testing the memory controller...

In the meantime, I will get a 'parameter set' together for you - so happens I do have a 'canned' EP45 Q6600, but I have to 'recalc' a few things for your setup...

PS - for your peace of mind, I don't think a faulty 12V could have damaged your DIMMs; the highest voltage on a DIMM is the 3.3V supply for the SPD chip itself - every other voltage available is under two volts; so there's no way any 12V supply got anywhere near them [:bilbat:5]

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate it.

For the USB ports, I don't have anything plugged in but my mouse and keyboard, every other USB input is open. The problem is when I do use the same RAM in slot 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 (to activate the dual channel) my computer is unstable. It can boot up to windows, and it can also last for a few minutes at times, but it eventually forces a BSOD or shut down. If I move the two RAM into slots 1 and 2 or 3 and 4 for Single channel, the problems are non existent.

I'll get to work on the memtest and post the results.

EDIT:

I'm also running Vista, I feel like I should have mentioned that earlier.
m
l
May 25, 2010 6:52:54 PM

I've ran some memtest and from the results it seems that when running dual channel the memory just doesn't want to work. When both modules are individual, they resulted in no errors, however, when switching to double in slots 1 and 3 or 2 and 4 for dual channel, slots 1 and 3 resulted in instantaneous errors while 2 and 4 had multiple errors but not as aggressively as the other slots.

I also tried both RAM in 1 and 2 for single channel, which is also what I'm currently running and received no errors in two passes. This was all done with the motherboard's optimized settings as well.

m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
May 26, 2010 12:53:49 AM

What BIOS are you at? Hawkeye has a point - the latest FE release does say 'improve memory compatibility'...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
May 26, 2010 12:47:14 PM

Quote:
FE release does say 'improve memory compatibility'

The F12 bios for my mobo said the same thing and definately solved my memory problems. :) 
m
l
May 26, 2010 3:10:05 PM

Bios Version: FE 3/11/2010

I'm really at a loss, but I can at least run in single channel.

I was able to boot up with RAM in slots 2 and 4 but programs started crashing left and right, including my web browsers. I removed the ram and put it back into 1 and 2 and they're gone. Worse comes to worse, I'll stick with single channel.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
May 26, 2010 4:46:52 PM

Dunno - may be time to 're-RMA'; both of these worked:

Quote:
GA-EP45-UD3P
Intel Q9550 1333FSB x8.5mult 2.83GHz .85-1.3625V
G.Skill F2-8500CL5D 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 memory: 5-5-5-15-2t nominal 2.1v

If you haven't yet done it, pull out two sticks, start with a BIOS' "Load Optimized Defaults"

Before we start ramping things up, I want to teach you a new skill involving the BIOS: Do the <DEL> at the boot to enter the BIOS;
notice, at the bottom, the <F11> "Save CMOS to BIOS" - hit this, and you should get a menu that will show a number (the count varies by BIOS) of empty 'slots', each of which will store an entire set of BIOS parameters, to be re-loaded from the corresponding <F12> "Load CMOS from BIOS"; this is a wonderful overclocker's feature. What I do with it, is to save my 'baseline' working parameters, so if I change something that 'irritates' the board, and forces a reset of all the parameters to defaults, or, even worse, get so screwed up I need to do a 'clear CMOS', I can get back to my starting point with no effort, and without having to remember 85 separate settings! Another thing it prevents is two hours' troubleshooting, having forgotten a change to a crucial parameter - like, "wait a minute - didn't I have the Trd at seven?!" It's pretty self-explanatory, and I always urge people to start right away by taking the time to give the 'slots' names that mean something: in two hours, "Try2" and "Try3" will not be very helpful, but "450@+10MCH" and "450@+15MCH" will! Another use is for 'green' settings; overclocks, as a rule, do not 'play well' with green features, such as 'down-clocking' and 'down-volting'; with the storage slots, you can set up one profile, say "Green", with all the settings at 'stock' values, and all the 'green' features enabled; another, say "Balls2Wall" with a full overclock, and all the 'green' stuff turned off... Another neat feature of this 'slot' system is, for most BIOS, the mechanism itself will keep track of which ones have booted successfully, and how many times (up to, I believe, a max of five)!

On the "Advanced BIOS Features" page:

"CPU Enhanced Halt (C1E)" to "Disabled"
"C2/C2E State Support" to "Disabled"
"C4/C4E State Support" to "Disabled"
"CPU Thermal Monitor 2 (TM2)" to "Enabled"
"CPU EIST Function" to "Disabled"
"Virtualization Technology" to "Enabled" - this allows use of Win7's fantastic VirtualXp feature...
"Full Screen LOGO Show" to "Disabled"

On the "Integrated Peripherals" page:

Your manual shows "Legacy USB storage detect", but later BIOS say "USB Storage Function" - either way, set to "Disabled"

On the "Power Management Setup" page:

"ACPI Suspend Type" to "S1(POS)" (for now...)
"HPET Support" to "Enabled"
"HPET Mode" to whichever OS type you're running - "32-bit" if an x86 version, "64-bit" if an x64 version...

On the "MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)" page:

"Robust Graphics Booster" to "Auto"
"CPU Clock Ratio" to "8"
"Fine CPU Clock Ratio" to ".5"
"CPU Frequency" - this one can't be set, it's calculated, and will change when we set the next few items...

******** Clock Chip Control ********
>>>>> Standard Clock Control

"CPU Host Clock Control" to "Enabled"
"CPU Host Frequency (Mhz)" to "334"
"PCI Express Frequency (Mhz)" to "100" (not auto...)
"C.I.A.2" to "Disabled"

******** DRAM Performance Control ********
"Performance Enhance" to "Standard"
"Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.)" to "Disabled"
"(G)MCH Frequency Latch" to "333"
"System Memory Multiplier (SPD)" to "3.20B"

"(G)MCH Frequency Latch" which we mostly refer to as a 'strap', is the reason we used a 334 clock instead of a nice even 333: the 'straps' are sets of northbridge timings - much like memory latencies, the faster you go, the 'looser' the timings have to be... There are four straps, corresponding to the Intel FSB ratings: 200 (800FSB), 266 (1066FSB), 333 (1333FSB), and 400 (1600FSB - Intel actually does make a 1600 FSB CPU - the QX9775 - but, I think, it's over $1500 a pop!); each strap has its own set of available memory multipliers (ratios). The 3.2 we used (which is actually an 8:5 bus to bus ratio) is available only on the 333 strap. Anyway, the strap latencies, for some northbridges, don't 'kick in' until one over the selected strap; so, in other words, setting the clock to 334 guarantees that we're getting the 333 latencies/timings...

"Memory Frequency (Mhz)" - again, can't be set, it's calculated...
"MCH Core" to 1.200V"
& "DRAM Voltage" to "2.100V" (this should have been done by the earlier "Load Optimized", but needs to be checked...

And that should do it!

I should point out that getting two reboots in a row here is perfectly normal behavior; it seems that, when you change certain settings (and we don't exactly know which ones - the only sure one I know is Trd - if you change it, I think you get the 'twin' reboot) it boots once to 'see where it's at', recalculates its remaining 'auto' settings, saves them, and then boots again. Three reboots in a row, however, usually indicates that the board was 'given indigestion' by your settings, and is going back to defaults. This sometimes goes astray, and it doesn't get back into proper operation - for example, at this point, mine will sometimes 'lock' itself into 111MHz x a six multiplier - and take a week to do a whole boot - that's time to do a CMOS reset, and use your 'stored' <F12> profile to get back to where you were...

Good luck!

Bill

Quote:
GA-EP45-UD3P E8400 to 3 or 3.6 GHz
Intel E8400 1333FSB x9.0mult 3GHz .85-1.3625V Core E0 sSpec SLB9J CPUID 1067Ah/Core C0 sSpec SLAPL CPUID 10676h
G.Skill F2-8500CL5D 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 memory: 5-5-5-15-2t nominal 2.1v

Gentle (but noticeable), no-risk, low-voltage Overclocking parameters are in italics...

If you haven't yet done it, pull out one stick, start with a BIOS' "Load Optimized Defaults"

Before we start ramping things up, I want to teach you a new skill involving the BIOS: Do the <DEL> at the boot to enter the BIOS;
notice, at the bottom, the <F11> "Save CMOS to BIOS" - hit this, and you should get a menu that will show a number (the count varies by BIOS) of empty 'slots', each of which will store an entire set of BIOS parameters, to be re-loaded from the corresponding <F12> "Load CMOS from BIOS"; this is a wonderful overclocker's feature. What I do with it, is to save my 'baseline' working parameters, so if I change something that 'irritates' the board, and forces a reset of all the parameters to defaults, or, even worse, get so screwed up I need to do a 'clear CMOS', I can get back to my starting point with no effort, and without having to remember 85 separate settings! Another thing it prevents is two hours' troubleshooting, having forgotten a change to a crucial parameter - like, "wait a minute - didn't I have the Trd at seven?!" It's pretty self-explanatory, and I alway urge people to start right away by taking the time to give the 'slots' names that mean something: in two hours, "Try2" and "Try3" will not be very helpful, but "450@+10MCH" and "450@+15MCH" will! Another use is for 'green' settings; overclocks, as a rule, do not 'play well' with green features, such as 'down-clocking' and 'down-volting'; with the storage slots, you can set up one profile, say "Green", with all the settings at 'stock' values, and all the 'green' features enabled; another, say "Balls2Wall" with a full overclock, and all the 'green' stuff turned off... Another neat feature of this 'slot' system is, for most BIOS, the mechanism itself will keep track of which ones have booted successfully, and how many times (up to, I believe, a max of five)!

"Virtualization Technology" to "Enabled" - this allows use of Win7's fantastic VirtualXp feature...

Your manual shows "Legacy USB storage detect", but later BIOS say "USB Storage Function" - either way, set to "Disabled"

"HPET Mode" to whichever OS type you're running - "32-bit" if an x86 version, "64-bit" if an x64 version...

"CPU Clock Ratio" to "9"
"Fine CPU Clock Ratio" to ".0"
"CPU Frequency" - this one can't be set, it's calculated, and will change when we set the next few items...

"CPU Host Frequency (Mhz)" to "401"
"C.I.A.2" to "Disabled"

"(G)MCH Frequency Latch" to "333"
"System Memory Multiplier (SPD)" to "3.20 B"
"(G)MCH Frequency Latch" to "400"
"System Memory Multiplier (SPD)" to "2.66 D"

The strap is the reason we used a 334 or 401 clock, instead of a nice even 400: the 'straps' are sets of northbridge timings - much like memory latencies, the faster you go, the 'looser' the timings have to be... There are four straps, corresponding to the Intel FSB ratings: 200 (800FSB), 266 (1066FSB), 333 (1333FSB), and 400 (1600FSB - Intel actually does make a 1600 FSB CPU - the QX9775 - but, I think, it's over $1500 a pop!); each strap has it's own set of available memory multipliers (ratios). For instance, the 2.66 we used (which is actually a 4:3 bus to bus ratio) is available only on the 400 strap. Anyway, the strap latencies, for some northbridges, don't 'kick in' until one over the selected strap; so, in other words, setting the clock to 401 guarantees that we're getting the 400 latencies/timings...

"DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD)" to "Manual"
You should be able to leave the rest of the memory settings alone; we haven't changed its actual speed, so it should keep working: If overclocking, we simply took it from a system clock of 333 (1333FSB) times a three point two multiplier (333 x 3.2 = 1066), to a system clock of 400 (1600FSB) times a two point six six multiplier (400 x 2.66 = 1066)

"Load-Line Calibration" to "Disabled" (this works differently on different boards - on mine, it's worse "enabled" than "disabled" - the function is supposed to cure a phenomenon called Vdroop - the CPU voltage regulation circuit causes the CPU core voltage to sag, or 'droop' under high loadings; hopefully, we're going to be at a low enough voltage to just ignore this...)
"CPU Vcore" to "1.2500V"
& "MCH Core" to 1.200V" if you intend to add more than two sticks of ram...

And that should do it!

I should point out that getting two reboots in a row here is perfectly normal behavior; it seems that, when you change certain settings (and we don't exactly know which ones - the only sure one I know is Trd - if you change it, I think you get the 'twin' reboot) it boots once to 'see where it's at', recalculates its remaining 'auto' settings, saves them, and then boots again. Three reboots in a row, however, usually indicates that the board was 'given indigestion' by your settings, and is going back to defaults. This sometimes goes astray, and it doesn't get back into proper operation - for example, at this point, mine will sometimes 'lock' itself into 111MHz x a six multiplier - and take a week to do a whole boot - that's time to do a CMOS reset, and use your 'stored' <F12> profile to get back to where you were...

Good luck!

Bill

:??: 
m
l
May 26, 2010 5:47:04 PM

I'll have to check those out, thanks a ton. If they don't work I'll most likely put in a RMA.

Appreciate it.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
May 26, 2010 5:52:45 PM

If you wait a bit - I'll put one together specifically for your CPU - but, gots to go! Gotta water-softener leak, need parts, & weekly WalMart trip - be, probably three hours...
m
l
May 26, 2010 7:38:02 PM

I'd appreciate anything really, you've been a great help.

m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
May 27, 2010 1:15:14 PM

Soorry I didn't get back with this last night - two or three hour quick shopping trip turned into six hours - I was dead!

GA-EP45-UD3P
Intel Q6600 1066FSB x9.0mult 2.4GHz .85-1.5V Core B3 sSpec SL9UM CPUID 06F7h
G.Skill F2-8500CL5D 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 memory: 5-5-5-15-2t nominal 2.1v

Gentle (but noticeable), no-risk, low-voltage Overclocking parameters are in italics...

If you haven't yet done it, start with a BIOS' "Load Optimized Defaults"

notice, at the bottom, the <F11> "Save CMOS to BIOS" - hit this, and you should get a menu that will show a number (the count varies by BIOS) of empty 'slots', each of which will store an entire set of BIOS parameters, to be re-loaded from the corresponding <F12> "Load CMOS from BIOS"; this is a wonderful overclocker's feature. What I do with it, is to save my 'baseline' working parameters, so if I change something that 'irritates' the board, and forces a reset of all the parameters to defaults, or, even worse, get so screwed up I need to do a 'clear CMOS', I can get back to my starting point with no effort, and without having to remember 85 separate settings! Another thing it prevents is two hours' troubleshooting, having forgotten a change to a crucial parameter - like, "wait a minute - didn't I have the Trd at seven?!" It's pretty self-explanatory, and I alway urge people to start right away by taking the time to give the 'slots' names that mean something: in two hours, "Try2" and "Try3" will not be very helpful, but "450@+10MCH" and "450@+15MCH" will! Another use is for 'green' settings; overclocks, as a rule, do not 'play well' with green features, such as 'down-clocking' and 'down-volting'; with the storage slots, you can set up one profile, say "Green", with all the settings at 'stock' values, and all the 'green' features enabled; another, say "Balls2Wall" with a full overclock, and all the 'green' stuff turned off... Another neat feature of this 'slot' system is, for most BIOS, the mechanism itself will keep track of which ones have booted successfully, and how many times (up to, I believe, a max of five)!

"CPU Clock Ratio" to "9"
"Fine CPU Clock Ratio" to ".0"

"CPU Host Frequency (Mhz)" to "267"
"C.I.A.2" to "Disabled"

"(G)MCH Frequency Latch" to "266"
"System Memory Multiplier (SPD)" to "4.00 B"
"System Memory Multiplier (SPD)" to "3.20 B"
"DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD)" to "Manual"
******** Standard Timing Control ********
the memory timings should be good in "Auto"...

"Load-Line Calibration" to "Disabled" (this works differently on different boards - on mine, it's worse "enabled" than "disabled" - the function is supposed to cure a phenomenon called Vdroop - the CPU voltage regulation circuit causes the CPU core voltage to sag, or 'droop' under high loadings; hopefullt, we're going to be at a low enough voltage to just ignore this...)
******** System Voltage Optimized ********
"System Voltage Control to "Manual"
"DDR2 OverVoltage Control" to "+0.30V" (should already be set by the "Load Optimized"...)

"(G)MCH OverVoltage Control" to "+0.10V" if you intend to add more than two sticks of ram...
"CPU Voltage Control to "Normal"
"CPU Voltage Control to "1.3250V"

And that should do it!

Good luck!

Bill
m
l
!