Radeon vs GeForce

Hello fellas,

I was looking to hear some opinions and maybe some insight on the two different types of graphic cards.

I myself have always been a GeForce man because I just understood them better. Never really knew what made what good about different Radeons so I kind of stayed away.

Heres too similar GeForce graphic cards by EVGA.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130433
* 2x Winner of Customer Choice Award - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
* Chipset Manufacturer: NVIDIA
* Core Clock: 626MHz
* Stream Processors: 216 Processor Cores
* Memory Clock: 2106MHz (effective)
$204.99

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130434
* 1x Winner of Customer Choice Award - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards
* Chipset Manufacturer: NVIDIA
* Core Clock: 576MHz
* Stream Processors: 216 Processor Cores
* Memory Clock: 1998MHz
$194.99

I'd definitely go with the first one. $10.00 more and you got yourself more memory clock and core clock speed.

What would be the Radeon "counter" so to speak. 5,000 series, like the 5770 or the even better 5850? 4,000 series, like the 4890?

When you look at their stream processors, Radeon kills them, though I'm told its miss-leading since their stream processors aren't as powerful?

Graphic cards as well as power supplies were sort of my weak spots when it comes to computer hardware.

Thanks in advanced. :)
9 answers Last reply
More about radeon geforce
  1. HD 4870 little bit slower, HD 4890 a little bit faster and HD5770 about the same as HD4870 but never tech with DX11
  2. A GTX 260 216 is somewhere in the neighborhood of an ATI 4870-4890 range as far as performance is concerned. A 5770 would be a good choice as well - it sacrifices a tiny bit of performance, but gives you DX11 and uses less power.

    The 5850 would be quite a lot faster than all of the cards mentioned above.
  3. cjl said:
    A GTX 260 216 is somewhere in the neighborhood of an ATI 4870-4890 range as far as performance is concerned. A 5770 would be a good choice as well - it sacrifices a tiny bit of performance, but gives you DX11 and uses less power.

    The 5850 would be quite a lot faster than all of the cards mentioned above.


    Yeah got my prices mixed up when i saw them. Thought the GeForces were around $300.00. Its actually around $200.00 so its about $100.00 over.
  4. rolli59 said:
    HD 4870 little bit slower, HD 4890 a little bit faster and HD5770 about the same as HD4870 but never tech with DX11


    So the 4870 and 4890 are pretty even with those 2 GTX 260's then? If the 4890 does better then its a no-brainer, because it also costs about $30.00 less.
  5. Here's a nice HD4850

    # Core Clock: 625MHz
    # Stream Processors: 800 Stream Processing Units
    # Memory Clock: 1986MHz
    $124.99

    Not bad

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161235


    Heres another HD4850 by XFX, I know they are good with GeForce cards.

    # Core Clock: 625MHz
    # Stream Processors: 800 Stream Processing Units
    # Memory Clock: 1990MH
    $120.00

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150337
  6. The 4850 will be a bit slower than the ones you initially mentioned.

    For your budget, here's what I would get: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161299&cm_re=4890-_-14-161-299-_-Product
  7. cjl said:
    The 4850 will be a bit slower than the ones you initially mentioned.

    For your budget, here's what I would get: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161299&cm_re=4890-_-14-161-299-_-Product


    You must be psychic. :D haha.

    I added it to cart before i saw your post. The package deal

    ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
    HIS H489FN1GH Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
    OCZ 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model OCZ3X1600R2LV6GK - Retail

    I was going to get the 2 other items anyways, already had that mobo added to cart.

    $586.97 for the 3 in the combo

    -$18.00 Instant
    -$45.00 Combo
    $20.00 Mail-in Rebate Card
    $20.00 Mail-in Rebate Card

    $104.00 savings on some of the already lowest prices on the internet. Gotta love it. :D


    Mom would be so proud :"( haha.

    Though, I haven't heard much about the company HIS. Will have to look into them.
  8. HIS is pretty good quality. I've used them in the past, and been perfectly happy. If you really prefer XFX though, they have a nice 4890 with an aftermarket cooler for $199.
  9. cjl said:
    HIS is pretty good quality. I've used them in the past, and been perfectly happy. If you really prefer XFX though, they have a nice 4890 with an aftermarket cooler for $199.


    I think that HIS should do just fine. Thank-you very much cjl!

    I liked the colors of the XFX geforce's, black/green like the case I'm using. XFX and EVGA are well known for quality and lifetime warranty on their graphic cards.

    Check the new build forum if you want to check my complete build.
Ask a new question

Read More

Graphics Cards Stream Processor Geforce Graphics Product