"Could Not Access Network Location:." also Error 1606

cantankerous9

Honorable
May 22, 2012
Hello,
I have a dual drive, dual boot OS. XP Pro SP3 is the main and default drive and OS I use for
legacy programs and licensing reasons. System 2 years old. XP was a native install on the
drive, not an upgrade.

Kaspersky Internet Security Suite 2012 discovered 2 Vulnerable applications. Prompted me to update Java
and also Quick Time Player. Java installed only after downloading the beta 7 version. Quick
Time no success.
Tried a 'Repair' of Kaspersky Suite, and again received the 'could not access network
location.' Tried uninstall of software, same message. Tried uninstall of other non Microsoft
programs, and again same message. Need to keep XP Pro because of a license issue.

Have tried Microsoft Fixit Solutions 50640, 50356, and another also. Have reviewed the Tom's
Community earlier posts regarding this issue, dated 2005, and no solutions found.
Have viewed all the registry areas Microsoft recommends. Only variation there is that in the
'User Shell Folders', I have no listing for the "Recent" entry field.
Been working on this for 4 weeks, spent numerous hours online looking for answers, and nothing
seems to work.
Also did a system restore back several restore entries to no avail.
Anyone have another miracle solution out there?
Thank you very much. 22-05-2012

me 1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
U have tried almost everything! I got to admit that this is very rare! :D

Don't know if U did this or not, but...
- Removal tool for Kaspersky, on their website
http://support.kaspersky.com/faq/?qid=208279463

- try uninstall it from cmd
wmic
product get name
product where name="kaspersky,bla..bla...bla..." call uninstall
(use the name from the list)
Then type y for confirmation.

- try a new user account (because some of this errors also relates to user profiles)

:hello:

cantankerous9

Honorable
May 22, 2012

Thanks for the response,
Tried adding a New User Administrative Account, and it still came back as Could Not Access Network Location. Tried to do 1st on the Quick Time program that needed to be updated.
Also downloaded the Kaspersky manual uninstall files, and will try later.
Have not tried uninstall from cmd yet either. Will also try that later.
Again, thanks for the tip.

cantankerous9

Honorable
May 22, 2012

To me 1

For future reference sir, the corrections I was able to accomplish for this issue are as follows:
To uninstall Kaspersky Security Suite 2012, I used their forced uninstaller called 'Kavremover' which you directed me to.
Was then able to reinstall the updated version without any error messages.
To correct the security issue with Quick Time that would also prompt the 'could not...." I utilized the Microsoft 'Windows Install Clean Up' tool. That forced out the offending Quick Time version 7.7....something. I was then able to install the new Quick Time
version 7.72.80.56 without the error message 'could not access....' Quick Time offered no support regarding this issue of error 1606 on their site.

Thanks for your help,
cantankerous9

me 1

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2010
Hi again!
I had a little problem with my internet connection for the last few days, so I could not answer you...
I used the Kav remover on someones laptop and it was ok, and I'm glad to see it worked for you too...
And yes, sometimes support sites are terrible at certain stuff...but finally...there is always a solution (well, 99.999999 cases :pt1cable: )

( "For future reference sir..." PS: I'm a she! )

:hello: