Sign in with
Your question

Need advice on first overclock E7300

Last response: in Overclocking
April 19, 2012 9:50:00 PM

Hi Guys, this is my first post so hello to everyone.

I'm looking to potentially overclock my cpu but Im not sure if its possible with my motherboard,
here is all the information on my computer:

Core 2 Duo E7300 currently runs at 2.66ghz

Motherboard = MSI G41M-P28 (Supports 1333MHz FSB)

Ram = generic Kingston (2x2gb) DDR3 1066MHz CL7 1.5v PC3-8500

Other info:
500w Casecom Psu
Arctic cooling Freezer 7 Pro
Sapphire ATI Radeon HD5570 1GB GDDR3
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm 16mb
Casecom 6788 Case
2x 120mm Fans

In the manual for my mobo it says it can support an FSB of (1333) 333MHz as the E7300 has currently an FSB of 266MHz Id therefore like to increase it to 333MHz which would get me up to 3.33GHZ which Id be happy with

My BIOS currently reads:

Intel EIST: (Enabled)
Adjust CPU FSB frequency MHz: [266]

DRAM TIMING mode: (Auto)
1N/2N memory Timing: (Auto)

FSB/DRAM Ratio: (Auto)

Adjust PCI-E Frequency MHz: [100]
Auto disable DRAM/PCI Frequency: (Enabled)

Spread Spectrum: (Enabled)

There doesn't appear to be a section on voltages? Ive had a look around the various menus
Can I just adjust the CPU FSB Frequency to [333] or do I need to change any of the other settings? Ram settings? Is it a problem that I can't adjust the voltage to the cpu if so could Increase the FSB to say [280] without adjusting any voltage for a mild overclock

Thanks in advance for any help Im new to this. I hope ive provided enough information
Cheers Josh

More about : advice overclock e7300

a b K Overclocking
April 20, 2012 1:07:50 PM

Try reading our basic overclocking guide. It will help you a lot.
If you cannot change voltages then that motherboard probably isn't very good to overclock but we'll see what we can do for you.

Since you cannot change the voltage then you're limited to whatever's stable at stock voltage. You can try guessing or simply raise it slowly until it's at the limit. Also don't forget to change the FSB/DRAM ratio to manual so that it doesn't exceed your RAM speed
a c 197 K Overclocking
April 20, 2012 5:25:33 PM

I am not familiar with the MSI BIOS.

This should be your first stop.
Core2 Overclocking Guide (generic guide based on an Asus motherboard)
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/259899-11-core-over...

Shadow's Gigabyte motherboard OC guide:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-245679_11_0.ht...
It's for an EP35-DS3L.

Both of these guides are good for background, but not actual BIOS settings.

Next stop should be a guide for your particular motherboard or a similar MSI Core2 board. Google is your friend.

You will have at least two problems. First, the G41 has limited OC capabilities. Still both the motherboard and the CPU should run with a 333 MHz FSB freq.

Your second problem is your RAM. It is DDR3-1066 RAM with means that it is rated for a 266 MHz FSB freq (no overclock headroom :( ). You may be able to extend the operating freq by running it at 1.65 volts (that is safe for a Core2 CPU) and relaxing the timing to something like 8-8-8-24.

Assuming that you have access to some of the BIOS settings, take your memory settings off Auto and do whatever you need to adjust the mem clock to 1066 MHz.

MSI may have provisions to set the FSB:RAM ratio. If so, set it to 1:1.

Now start increasing the FSB freq and voltage (if you can) to maintain stability.

Most G41 boards have an FSB limit around 340 - 360 MHz.

Do not exceed core voltage of 1.45 volts or load temps of 70 C.
Related resources
April 23, 2012 10:58:55 AM

Ok thanks for the replys guys I'm looking in to it some more at the moment, if I were to purchase 1333mhz ddr3 ram would that remedy the problem in that area?
according to the motherboard manual

" Supports two unbuffered DIMM of 1.5 Volt DDR3 800/1066/1333* (OC) DRAM, 8GB Max "

Im guessing that means it would run at 1066 but can support overclocking? so would the ram would be fine in that respect id just need to set the FSB:RAM ratio to 1:1
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 24, 2012 11:40:49 AM

ram with heatspreaders are preferred as they do produce some good amount of heat @ 1.8V. btw, follow jsc's steps and you should be flying off.
!