Sign in with
Your question

Pairing Ram for Thinkpad t410

Last response: in Memory
Anonymous
a b } Memory
May 25, 2010 8:09:30 PM

I just bought a Thinkpad T410 that came with 2GB PC3-8500. It has an available RAM slot and the system supports upto 6GB. I would imagine that 2x 3GB sticks would be ideal, but could I do a 4GB and a 2GB (assuming all other factors were the same)??

I often see a 2GB and a 1GB in laptops today so I would think the 4+2 approach would work. but I do not want to invest in something that will harm my system.

Thanks for the help..
May 27, 2010 6:44:00 AM

Quote:
I often see a 2GB and a 1GB in laptops today so I would think the 4+2 approach would work. but I do not want to invest in something that will harm my system.

What CPU is in that system? The newer Intel chips will certainly support unmatched RAM sizes, but you'll only get the performance benefits of dual-channel access for part of the RAM; my new i5 laptop has 4GB + 2GB and according to Intel's documentation the bottom 4GB are treated as dual-channel and the top 2GB as single-channel (so about half as fast).
m
l
Anonymous
a b } Memory
June 1, 2010 4:06:09 PM

MarkG said:
What CPU is in that system?

It is an intel core i5.

Thanks for the response. I wonder if I will notice the benefit of 6GB over 4GB or RAM?
m
l
!