Thinkpad 770Z better than 600E?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 22, 2004 5:23:23 PM

Hi,

looking for a good laptop for my brother I am wondering whether
I should go for a 770Z or rather try to get a 600E?

Anybody here knowing both of them and wanting to give me a hint?

Main purpose will be: Textprocessing (OpenOffice 1.1.2 and the like)
using newest Linux Distributions.

TIA
Karl-Heinz
--
Karl-Heinz <mailto:khz@indeview.org> <mailto:khz@kde.org>
Zimmer I n d e V i e w K D E

More about : thinkpad 770z 600e

June 22, 2004 5:33:13 PM

>looking for a good laptop for my brother I am wondering whether
>I should go for a 770Z or rather try to get a 600E?

I have used both for years. The 770z is a good desktop replacement;
whereas, the 600e is more portable. If your brother will be carrying it
a lot, he will REALLY appreciate the 600e over the 770z. They will
both accept 100Mhz RAM. The 770z will accept ANY mobile HDD,
while the 600e will not accept the 17.5mm (height). Both offer the
best keyboard feel ... especially, the 770 series. The UltraSlim Bay
in the 600e will support most peripheral including CD-RW.

Regards ... John
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 22, 2004 5:56:33 PM

Karl-Heinz Zimmer <khz@kde.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> looking for a good laptop for my brother I am wondering whether
> I should go for a 770Z or rather try to get a 600E?
>
> Anybody here knowing both of them and wanting to give me a hint?
>
> Main purpose will be: Textprocessing (OpenOffice 1.1.2 and the like)
> using newest Linux Distributions.

They're both at the top of the heap WRT build quality, display, keyboard,
etc. However, the 600X can be had with processors up to a PIII 650MHz while
the fastest 770 was a PII 366MHz.

The 770 series is an absolute TANK! Built like the proverbial brick
shithouse and weighs as much at 8 lbs. The 600 series is a much lighter and
smaller unit and weighs approx. 5 lbs.

Normal display for the 770 series is 14.1" XGA, _only_ display for most 600
series machines is 13.3" XGA.

Personally, I'd go for a good condition 600X over a 770Z.

--
Regards,

James

a b D Laptop
June 22, 2004 5:56:34 PM

"JHEM" <James@ESAD_SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> writes:
> Normal display for the 770 series is 14.1" XGA, _only_ display for most 600
> series machines is 13.3" XGA.

770 series machines were made with both 13.3" and 14.1" XGA displays.
The 14.1" overhangs the edges of the machine a little and is slightly
awkward because of that. I believe, but am not sure, that there were
a few 770Z series machines with a 13.7" SXGA. I have a 13.3" XGA 770
(233 mhz Pentium MMX) and found the display diameter to be just fine.
One always wants more resolution, however.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 22, 2004 8:21:49 PM

Am Dienstag, 22. Juni 2004 15:56 schrieb JHEM:

> Karl-Heinz Zimmer <khz@kde.org> wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> looking for a good laptop for my brother I am wondering whether
>> I should go for a 770Z or rather try to get a 600E?
>>
>> Anybody here knowing both of them and wanting to give me a hint?
>>
>> Main purpose will be: Textprocessing (OpenOffice 1.1.2 and the like)
>> using newest Linux Distributions.
>
> They're both at the top of the heap WRT build quality, display, keyboard,
> etc. However, the 600X can be had with processors up to a PIII 650MHz
> while the fastest 770 was a PII 366MHz.
>
> The 770 series is an absolute TANK! Built like the proverbial brick
> shithouse and weighs as much at 8 lbs. The 600 series is a much lighter
> and smaller unit and weighs approx. 5 lbs.
>
> Normal display for the 770 series is 14.1" XGA, _only_ display for most
> 600 series machines is 13.3" XGA.
>
> Personally, I'd go for a good condition 600X over a 770Z.

I see, so the statement "the 600E is more portable" _is_ to be believed..

Since my brother will be using it a lot on train it probably would be
wise to go for a 600E (or 600X, resp., as you say) and forget about
the 700Z --- at least for this time. Nect time (once I finally will
have enough money to buy such a device for myself) I might take a
700Z because I am not travelling as much. :-)

Anyway my impressions from last weeks Thinkpad maintenance made me an
absolut friend of these laptops. Having owned Acers since years I am
quite impressed to see what I have missed and how happy I could have
been - had I only not wasted time on these!

Karl-Heinz
--
Karl-Heinz <mailto:khz@indeview.org> <mailto:khz@kde.org>
Zimmer I n d e V i e w K D E
Föhren Presentations Beyond Limitations Conquer your Desktop
www.fiehr.de www.indeview.org www.kde.org
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 22, 2004 10:43:21 PM

"Paul Rubin" wrote
>... I believe, but am not sure, that there were a few 770Z series machines
with a 13.7" SXGA.

That's true.

I'm still sitting here with my baby, the ThinkPad 770Z, 9549-8AU.
The display, 13.7", has a resolution of 1280x1024.
Creme de la creme.
The ThinkPad 770X, 9549-7AU, had that display too.

The 600's had three advantages over the 770X/Z.
Weight, CPU-power and the CD-RW option.
But the 600's had severe problems with the Li-Ion battery, where no such
things ever were an issue for the 770X/Z-series.

I'd prefer my 770Z over the 600X at any time.
Carrying all that weight is a privilige and an honour.
Well.....personal opinion.

My best regards
--
Brian Hougaard Baldersbæk
Frejasvej 14

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid&gt; wrote:
> "JHEM" <James@ESAD_SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> writes:
>> Normal display for the 770 series is 14.1" XGA, _only_ display for
>> most 600 series machines is 13.3" XGA.
>
> 770 series machines were made with both 13.3" and 14.1" XGA displays.

True, but the point I was trying to make is that the _normal_ display you'd
find on a 770 series machine would be the 14.1" XGA. The early 770s came
with the same 13.3" display found in the 600 series.

> The 14.1" overhangs the edges of the machine a little and is slightly
> awkward because of that.

No it doesn't!

> I believe, but am not sure, that there were
> a few 770Z series machines with a 13.7" SXGA.

Yes, there were 2 models of the 770X and two of the 770Z that came with the
13.7" SXGA display. Very rare and highly sought after machines.

--
Regards,

James

a b D Laptop
June 23, 2004 1:25:25 AM

"JHEM" <James@ESAD_SPAMMERS.thinkpads.com> writes:
> True, but the point I was trying to make is that the _normal_ display you'd
> find on a 770 series machine would be the 14.1" XGA. The early 770s came
> with the same 13.3" display found in the 600 series.

I don't know which one I'd say is normal. The original 770 came in three
models, two with the 13.3" XGA and one with the 14.1" XGA.

> > The 14.1" overhangs the edges of the machine a little and is slightly
> > awkward because of that.
>
> No it doesn't!

Yes, put then next to each other, I've owned both models (still have
the 13.3" version) and am familiar with them.

> Yes, there were 2 models of the 770X and two of the 770Z that came
> with the 13.7" SXGA display. Very rare and highly sought after machines.

Yeah, I sort of wanted one but got the a20p instead. The a20p has its
advantages but I think the 770's were more solidly constructed. My a20p
is more or less falling apart now and it will be time for another round
on the laptop upgrade treadmill soon. My thoughts run toward an Athlon 64.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 23, 2004 7:35:14 PM

Paul Rubin <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid&gt; wrote:

> I don't know which one I'd say is normal. The original 770 came in
> three models, two with the 13.3" XGA and one with the 14.1" XGA.

When I said I was referring to the 770 series, I meant the entire family of
770 to 770Z.

There were 19 models of 770s, 11 of which had 14.1" displays, 4 had 13.3"
displays and 4 had 13.7" displays.

> Yes, put then next to each other, I've owned both models (still have
> the 13.3" version) and am familiar with them.

Perhaps this was something only seen on the early 770? I don't have one
around and don't remember that being the case, but I _do_ have seven 770X
and 770Z machines lying and none of the 14.1" displays overhang the lower
case in any way.

> Yeah, I sort of wanted one but got the a20p instead. The a20p has its
> advantages but I think the 770's were more solidly constructed. My
> a20p is more or less falling apart now and it will be time for another
> round on the laptop upgrade treadmill soon.

Surprising to hear that about a "p" model.

--
Regards,

James