Graphics cards, and power supply, Amps and Wattage.

fatedcloud

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
I've heard a lot of people using graphics cards that have a higher minimum requirement for Watts, and still have it work in their system. What are the negative effects this has on the system, and the GPU?

Also i've heard many people using graphics cards that require, say 26A on the 12V rail, on a 300W power supply that only supplies 16W on the 12V rail, and had it working, and most the time the GPU's minimum would recommend a 400+W power supply. I'm pretty curious and would like to know all the negative effects, and also the positive effects being above or at the GPU's recommended power settings have on the system as a whole, and the GPU. Be it better performance, or extended life of all hardware involved.

fatedcloud

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2009
The question moreover is what happens when you use a graphics card with an underperforming PSU as recommended. I found the answer online so it's alright.
The answer is what i came to a conclusion to after making sence of it, and what would seem to be the obvious and most logical conclusion. Ah, whatever ^.^ just thought maybe someone would come to a conclusion of the same sort or something, providing more evident information, through performance testing.