Solved

Using CopyWipe 1.14 to move old HDD files to External HD

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Windows XP
  • Product
Last response: in Windows XP
May 23, 2012 1:47:23 AM

Hello all. I have a question about CopyWipe 1.14 from Hiren's BootCD. My old Toshiba Satellite A105 S2071 crapped out on me a little while ago and I am hoping to move the old contents to another laptop.

I booted Hiren's and chose Mini XP and from the Hiren's program list picked CopyWipe 1.14.

In the past I have tried Ubuntu Linux to locate the HDD from the laptop-itself, but it was unable to mount. I read about booting into the Recovery Console from the XP recovery disc and running chkdsk in order to fix the mount issue. But, that is all beside the point.

I am now trying to use CopyWipe to move the contents of my HDD that is in my Toshiba onto my External HD. My external is not empty but has plenty of space. Whenever I set my hard drive to copy onto the external a warning message shows up: "Warning target drive contains partitions that will be deleted when the process starts."

I am asking if the contents on my external hard drive will be wiped out if I proceed. The source drive (the internal Toshiba HDD) shows one partition when highlighted and pressing f6. The target drive (my 1TB external) lists two partitions, one being 2MB of "free space."

Am I attempting something safe?

Thank you,
Michael

More about : copywipe move hdd files external

May 23, 2012 1:33:46 PM

Maybe you want to use a different utility? CopyWipe is not the best thing to do here. Just boot off a Linux Live CD and copy your files manually.

CopyWipe is used for secure erasing and over-writing not really just to copy files. http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/copywipe.php
m
l
May 23, 2012 1:42:40 PM

I have tried the Linux Live CD and when I locate the laptop's HDD I am unable to mount. I receive an error message. I have looked up this message and read about booting from the XP Recovery disc and going into the Recovery Console and running chkdsk to fix this mount issue.

Do you recommend that action?
m
l
Related resources
May 23, 2012 1:48:01 PM

Should not cause any issues with running chkdsk, but you may have an issue with the hard-drive if Linux can't do anything with it. What exactly happened to make the laptop not work? You can also get a $10 external USB drive cage and pop the hard-drive in that. You can boot off several Linux disks without a hard-drive in the system.
m
l
May 23, 2012 1:59:26 PM

Yeah. I'm afraid the HDD is the issue-itself. I think that I'm in denial and refuse to believe it might be beyond saving. :( 

The laptop failed to boot one day and would not even boot in safe mode. After the long safe mode list is finished a blue screen flashes for a second and the computer shuts down. In my research I concluded it was a HDD issue (my laptop often ran really hot).

I can locate the C: drive (HDD) in Linux but it will not let me view its contents.
m
l

Best solution

May 23, 2012 2:04:28 PM

If the drive is bad, chkdsk won't do much. Try connecting it as an external and see if a computer can read it. A utility like deskdisk may be able to recover partitions off the drive, but if the issue is a physical fault with the drive, nothing can be done short of repairing the drive which can get very expensive. The moral here as is with the other 10,000 posts about bad drives, is backup BEFORE you need to restore data.
May 23, 2012 2:11:14 PM

Thank you for your responses. Your use of hyperbole, however... :lol: 

The contents on the drive are not important enough to back-up as all of my important data are stored on externals and flash drives. I only wished to recover items that would be difficult (but not impossible) to re-create. I am also trying to familiarize myself more with computers and computer issues and so I wanted to pick the brains of much more knowledgeable people in that endeavor.

Would you be able to recommend a good USB external drive cage?

Thank you.
m
l
June 18, 2012 5:52:00 AM

Best answer selected by The_Wheel.
m
l