Sign in with
Your question

Gigabyte P55-UD4 unstable with 2x RAM modules

Last response: in Motherboards
May 25, 2010 10:17:40 PM

Hello. Since i bought my new PC i had random blue screens / crashes. Sometimes it works for weeks non-stop with me playing hardcore on it, sometimes it crashes for an infinite number of times after entering windows or even before loading it, ending up to ruining my Windows 7 i have installed on it, for several times.

Testing my RAMs with OCCT i found that it would always crush at 47%. I tried changing my RAMs with my friend's Corsairs and no change. The only thing that worked was running my system with only 1 RAM module (mine or my friend's). I tested one single RAM module with OCCT (any of the 2 I or my friend have) and the test completed succesfully and no more crushes happened ever since.

My system components are:

Mobo: Gigabyte P55-UD4 rev 1;
RAM: Team Xtreem Low Voltage Overclocking Memory Modules 2x2Gb TXD34096M1866HC8DC-L (DDR III 1866, CL:8-8-8-24, 1.65v);
CPU: Intel core I5-750;
HSF: Scythe Mugen;
GPU: Sapphire 4870 1Gb standard version;
PSU: Gembird 650v.

Yes, i have the latest BIOS version (F8) and every single driver is up-to-date.

I would realy apreciate some help!
Thanks in advance and sorry for the poor English!
a c 111 V Motherboard
May 26, 2010 1:25:39 AM

Your post suggests that the problem could be either a configuration error or just plain bad RAM. You were on the right track of testing known working RAM (your friend's), so kudos, but because you haven't mentioned it I need to ask...

1. With either of the pairs of RAM (yours or your friend's) installed, was the BIOS configured/adjusted? -- A lot of times this oversight is the reason for BSOD.

2. Is your BIOS configured for overclocking? -- If so, try running your RAM test at default settings with both DIMMs occupied and with only one at a time. I do see the specs of your RAM, but that doesn't mean you OC.

3. When you were testing the RAM, did you test both DIMM's with all four RAM modules? -- You likely did, but just seeking clarification because this will help determine if you have a bad mobo.

On a side note, the popularly recommended RAM tester is MemTest86+ (download from www.memtest.org). Burn the disc image to cd, restart the computer, and the test runs itself. Try this out and come back with results.

Good luck.

a c 177 V Motherboard
May 26, 2010 12:28:07 PM

Memtest instructions about in the middle of this post...
Related resources
May 26, 2010 3:24:24 PM

With 2 RAM sticks and BIOS with optimized defaults my system had the problems i described u above.

With 2 RAM sticks overclocked (m.i.t. Set on profile1) and CPU with standard configuration my system would enter windows and run for like 1 minute. After that it automatically power off and power back on in a few seconds, the power off / on action happening earlier and earlier with every try to enter windows, in 4 tryes leaving me with not enought time to even load optimized defaults from BIOS. I managed to solve this problem by unplugging the PC and waiting for a few minutes, after that the whole "running windows for 1 minute" story starting all over again.

With only 1 RAM stick overclocked (m.i.t. Set on profile1) and CPU overclocked to 3.57 GHz everything worked as intended, so this is the configuration i'm running my system with at the moment.

The testing with OCCT was done with loaded optimized defaults.

I tryed running the OCCT test with both RAM sticks in single channel mode (slots 1+2 instead of 1+3) and nothing changed, the system was unstable with 2 sticks and crushed at 47% again.

Will test the RAM with MemTest86+ asap i get home as i'm posting from my phone at work.
May 26, 2010 3:45:59 PM

I'm realy imbarassed but need to confess that OCCT was the software i used to check if the CPU was stable after overclocking and the software i used to test the RAM was indeed MemTest86+. Realy sorry about the confusion, running my new system with only 2Gbs of RAM while seeing the other 2 on my desk is realy realy frustrating! :( 
May 26, 2010 11:36:01 PM

Today i entered BIOS, loaded optimized defaults to undo CPU overclocking, overclocked RAM to the parameters that Team Group recomanded (1866, CL: 8-8-8-24), set system performance enhance to "standard", set CPU voltage to "normal" and run MemTest86+ with no errors.

After 20 minutes my system crushed. I installed a new copy of windows considering my previous was broken due to recent crushes and after i finished installing the drivers it cushed again...

Is it possible that memtest86+ missed the errors?
a c 111 V Motherboard
May 27, 2010 12:36:56 AM

Clear CMOS (to restore factory defaults), then come back with results after you've performed the following:

1. Try loading Windows
2. Windows Safe Mode
3. MT86+ (if either 1 or 2 doesn't work, or if BSOD occurs)
4. MT86+ (second test to see if results change)

The reasoning beind a second MT86+ test is to determine if the problem is in RAM or mobo. Your original post suggests that you may have a bad DIMM, but since you're getting different results with your MT86+, I think the best thing is to keep BIOS at factory settings and then to run MT86+ a couple (or more) times to see if you'll get the same results. Of course this could also be done with OC settings, or "Optimal Defaults", but putting the mobo back to the condition it was when it left the factory would be the best place to start.

Good luck.
May 27, 2010 3:49:49 PM

Last night i run 6 mt86+ full tests with no errors.

When i powered on my pc today windows was a total mess, windows explorer and web browsers would not start at all. I run mt86+ again and it found a large number of errors from the very begining (pass 24%, test #6 - 5376 errors), so i let it run and will post the new results after several tests are done.

BIOS Optimal Defaults:
Vcore = 1.128v
qpi/vtt = 1.1v
dram voltage =1.584v
June 15, 2010 5:02:54 AM

Hi. Had this problem with my mates computer. The i5 Cpu's max memory multiplier is 10. Therefore your computer needs to up the baseclock to 186 to get your ram to rated settings. If you use XMP it will set it as close as it can to that value and lower CPU multi to keep cpu speed the same (or similar)

But it still ups Cpus uncore speed and this requires higher qpi/vtt Voltage.
There's probably nothing wrong with your ram.
So try putting in more vtt until its stable. You shouldn't need more than 1.21Vtt
August 9, 2010 9:37:46 PM

hey shadowdog you are a saint, and saved the tech guys of my seller from my 2nd and more furious wrath.

I have p55-ud4, i5 760, OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Gold Edition:

Spent all my weekend, ending up with various bsods.

Only way I managed to install windows was to reduce everything on bios to disabled, 1 core and 1 ram module.
Then tried to move up the settings but windows just kept bsoding for random times and random applications, even at login screen.

Then I have rained my wrath on the seller, spend my 3 hours in their base, arguing to their tech team and finally get them test the rams and see they are OK and decide that the mobo is faulty. I have got it changed with the same brand and model.

Came home, setup the pieces together, leave bios to default, boot: BOOM... bsod

I was going to do some murders tomorrow bec of them wasting my whole weekend and +3 hours this evening.

Then I have seen your post like the glimpse of light...

Then I first increased to qpi/vtt to 1.21 and hey! I managed to boot windows with 2 ram modules! But it kept bsod on random applications.

Then I have started to play around with dram voltages and "expert" ram timings. I have made a wild guess and increased dram to 1.6 and set the timings like 9-9-9-27 (it was something like 7-7-7-18 on auto, but I know that my rams are 9 9 9 something), and than: Now it is working like a miracle.

I am quite suspicious that I am far below from the potential of my computer, that I wish to ask recommendations for getting a stable and expected performance from my PC. I dont have any interest in overclocking at this point.

:bounce:  thanks
!