Sign in with
Your question

Please help! Screen goes black.

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
November 20, 2009 7:08:09 AM

Hi, please help, my computer doesn't boot, the screen just go black! * The system starts, all fans PSU, CPU, graphics card fan, starts, * The HD sounds like it's running * I hear no beep from the mother board when it starts. * It's possible to shut down the system by holding the power button. It worked fine until one day when trying to start it the above was the case. My friend has an exakt copy of the system, all tests have been done between our machines. This is (a sample) of what I've tried: 1. Exchange graphics card to a working one. 2. Test RAM in another machine 3. Test CPU in another machine 4. Bought a new motherboard and replaced the old one. 5. Changed battery 6. Tried the system without HD, Keyboard and mouse connected (in all variations) 7. Checked all chords (also pulled them out and puttning them back when changing mother board obviously) The strangest thing though: After replacing the motherboard, the computer started ! (with a minor delay) Then it worked for a few minutes, started up windows and everything. While we were toasting with a fine whisky it died again and all was back to "normal", i.e. the problem persits! I have no idea what to make of this! Please help, I'm pulling my hair out! Many thanks in advance, Johan ***Specs*** Antec Chassi 450W Sonata II - Piano Black Gigabyte - Socket 775 - ATX IP965 (GA-965P-S3) - DDR2 / SATA2 / Gblan Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 "Allendale" 2x1.8GHz / 800MHz / 2MB (Boxed) Kingston DDR2 2048MB 667MHz CL5 (Kit of 2) Samsung 250GB SATA II Spin P120 NCQ (8MB Cache / Sata) Samsung Intern SATA DVD±RW 18x - Svart (Dual Layer / SATA) (Bulk) Asus ATI Radeon X1950 Pro 256MB DDR3 (EAX1950PRO/HTDP/256M) - PCI-E / Dvi

More about : screen black

November 20, 2009 8:04:52 AM

you have eliminated a few possibilities, did you try changing the PSU?

another possibility is that the motherboard is shorting out, did you use the standoff's?
m
l
November 20, 2009 8:06:45 AM

Suggestions,in no particular order take it out of the case and breadboard it with graphics 1 stick of ram and a floppy,,,if you are not getting a single beep upon startup then the system may have a bios related problem,,also try with another psu,,,AND ,,, check the video cable between the case and the monitor,make absolutely sure that the hsf is properly mounted and secure..????...:) 
m
l
Related resources
November 28, 2009 8:58:01 AM

Thanks a lot for all your advice, I'll try them all starting with another PSU. Can I use one which in mounted in my friends computer and just use all the chords from his? Anything I should bear in mind when changing PSU? Cheers, J
m
l
November 28, 2009 9:00:19 AM

dokk2 said:
Suggestions,in no particular order take it out of the case and breadboard it with graphics 1 stick of ram and a floppy,,,if you are not getting a single beep upon startup then the system may have a bios related problem,,also try with another psu,,,AND ,,, check the video cable between the case and the monitor,make absolutely sure that the hsf is properly mounted and secure..????...:) 

Sorry for being stupid, but do you mean boot the system with as few components as possible plugged in? I don't have a floppy will a cd do the trick?

What is hsf?

thanks!
m
l
December 8, 2009 10:24:35 AM

tarquinbiscuitbarrel said:
you have eliminated a few possibilities, did you try changing the PSU?

another possibility is that the motherboard is shorting out, did you use the standoff's?

With standoffs I assume you mean the metal screws holding the MB up, correct? If so yes, I used them. Could the MB be shorting out for some other reason?

Btw, will try the PSU thursday, ordered a new one some time ago and will try with that.
m
l
December 15, 2009 5:37:40 PM

I exchanged the PSU, now all is fine. Thanks so much for your help!

cheers J
m
l
!