5850 Boot Delay?

cbb77

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Was able to locate a Sapphire 5850 and installed it yesterday. Graphics are noticeably better / smoother in all games; even with setting cranked up. Only gripe appears to be with pc boot-up. For some reason, now my pc takes a good 45-50 secs after I hit the power button, to post and begin load into Windows. Never had this before. I've rechecked the card and all cables. Am using a Corsair tx-750W power supply which is support and should be sufficient. Curious are other users with this card experiencing the same thing? Do I have a defective card?

cbb77

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
I am currently running Asus Striker Extreme. Yes, I replaced an older video card, XFX 8800 GT Alpha Dog Edition, that did not exhibit these symptoms. My system has been stable and without issue until now. Note, everything works fine once the system boots. No errors, or issues to speak of. It's only the initial power on that's weird. I suspect it may have something to do with the card's bios or conflict with existing MB bios setting, but this is what I am looking to confirm from other 5850 owners. My MB is older (1+ year) but have installed latest BIOS.

gramps

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2004
I have got the 5850, and I noticed that my machine now takes longer before it does the POST beep, but nothing like yours, maybe 5 seconds longer at the most. As to the cause, I have no idea, I didn't really worry about it, 5 seconds is marginal, but you, nearly a minute?! (otherwise a damn good card in my opinion...)
Good luck with that...

eastonia

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
Yeah excactly the same problems with me, almost a minute before POST beep.

I have been monitoring this issue on overclockers.co.uk forums and alot of people are having the same problems.

My current System spec is:
Windows 7 64bit Ultimate
XFX 5850
Asus P5N32-E-Sli
850W Hiper PSU 60A on 12V rail

I still dont know if its a card defect or motherboard conflict.

Works great once booted which is the reason I haven't RMA'd it yet.

Easty

mmathiou

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2009
Exactly the same problem here as well.

I have Asus Striker Extreme (Latest BIOS)

I replaced an MSI 8800GTS with a Sapphire 5850 and I have the same cold boot problem (almost 45 sec) before goes to post.

The OS does not affect this problem.

Enermax 650W PSU (Enough for a PC without SLI or Crossfire)

No error after boot.(so far)

-Manos

DeeJee

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
Looking round google for answers to my problem I found this topic.
I have the same problem.
Running a:
- asus P5N32-E SLI plus main board (nvidea chip set, no on board gfx))
- 750 real power psu
- 4 gig's of kingston hyper memory
- E 6600 CPU

Problem started after uninstalling the previous video drivers removing the old card ( Nvidea 8800GTS) and putting the new card back in.
New card: Club 3d HD 5770
Problem:
After power on button is pressed it takes a good minute before bios post beeb comes and the thing starts with the boot up proces.

I found no other information on google so I wonder what to to with this.
After boot up the performance is good, and there are no other problems so far.
Was thinking about RMAing it, but after reading this I think that will not solve my problem.

Could it be a conflict with the onboard chip set being nvidea..??
maybe that bites the ati/amd gfx card..??

evilangelic

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2010
I have the same problem!

I bought a XFX 5850 for a new build, but am waiting for the new mobo and cpu to arrive.

The Graphics Card is CURRENTLY in a old Abit NF-M2S with a AM2 X2 5600+... (in a X8 Pci-e 1.0 slot...)

I did have an ancient 7800GTX, but have just popped the 5850 in for now as a laugh 'til new components arrive.

When I boot there is no display, but the HD5850 "revs" the fans about 6 times e.g. 0%-100%-0%-100% etc... etc... before BIOS post is visible on screen.

Occasionally before arriving at the Windows 7 login screen, the fan goes 100% until I login/catalyst must take over.

There is so much over the internet about it, we should try and bring it in greater attention to the manufacturers AND ATI itself.

It makes boot time about double or more, from power on! RIDICULOUS

cbb77

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Well it definitely appears to be an issue / conflict with older systems. I pulled the trigger and updated my system to a Core i5; thus new motherboard. The problem no longer exists and boot up is just about immediate. Based on this and everyone else's comments it's definitely something the older BIOS/boards don't work well with. Hopefully ATI can correct as not everyone will have opportunity to upgrade as I did.

cbb77 no longer has a problem now that he/she has upgraded to Ci5 and I didnt have this problem with my 5850 and Ci7 920 system.

Maybe a BIOS update for older motherboards or new drivers from ATi will fix the problem, has no one contacted the manufacturer of their card?

Paoki

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
I did but nothing yet...Some say that Asus send them new bios via e-mail and the problem solved.

My system don't even start, so I cannot install new catalyst.
:-(

I read to other forums and everyone with an nForce-SLI chipset has the same problem...
This card is driving me crazy!

DeeJee

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
My asus board (P5N32-E sli plus) maybe 2 years old now but it recently went back to asus (RMA) and got updated with the latest bios version.
So I doubt that the bios is causing this problem.

I also have a spare board here that is a bit newer (same socket though ) with witch I could try if it works better then.
Only downside is that the spare board has an intel chipset and the board I have installed right now hasd a nvidea chip set.
With windows xp that would not be a problem but vista can't handle the change in chipsets without needing to reinstall vista.
So I am not really keen on just trying that just for the test of it..

It works now, and yes I still have the nearly 1 minute delay in booting but I think I can live with that for now.
I may try and contact the manufacturer with the problem and see what that brings.

Paoki

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
"Dear customer

Please, wait the new version of BIOS to resolve this issue.

Asus Help Desk"

This was the answer I got from Asus...
Wtf, are theu kidding us??

DeeJee

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2010
I got a reply, 1 month later..:
thanks for sending in your request. The issue you mentioned was not reported so far. We suggest to update your mainboard bios to the latest version and try to contact Asus as well.

Please also use latest Catalyst 10.1 Hotfix driver which can be found at the following link:
http://support.amd.com/us/kbarticles/Pages/Grey-screen-and-vertical-line-corruptions.aspx
My bios is up to date and the latest catalist is bull becuase that isn't loaded in yet before booting.

Yeah, sounds like a MB BIOS issue. I have no problem with mine, but obviously the board and BIOS are new. Rarely do I see GPU BIOS updates (if that would even help), so if your MB manufacturer is feeding you lies rather than BIOS updates you probably are out of luck.

kutuup

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
You might also wanna check that the monitor cable is REALLY firmly connected at both ends, screwed in and everything, I know some cards get upset if you try to boot with no monitor attatched. My hd5870 will just keep revving and no post will happen if the monitor is disconnected.

Could be a loose connection causing the monitor to not be detected right away.

Enkindlers

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
I have the same problem with Sapphire HD 5850. It worked for about 1 month and died suddenly. No post after that. It's not about updates and other things, it's all about ATI dissapoint as they used too. I'll never buy ATI card again.

Enkindlers

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
I agree. It's so frustraiting because I used only nVidia cards before and never have any issue and now as an ATI first time user I get this totally ridiculous problem. I even changed the motherboard because of this and the problem is still on the go... I wish for this problem to end and it will end soon with the new GF 100 here in my PC.