Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Windows XP SP3 Endless Update Loop?

Last response: in Windows XP
Share
May 23, 2012 6:26:31 AM

Oh boy shoot me already,

I came home today from work, went into the computer room and pushed the power button on my computer. Windows XP SP3 loaded up as fast as usual, it quickly loaded to desktop and then was just unresponsive for 60-90 seconds as if stuck in limbo. The only function that worked was Task Manager which showed 2-4% CPU usage and Page File was at 240MB with 33 Processes.

I was then notified that there were three High Priority Updates (listed below), I have Automatic Updates set to "Download updates for me", but let me choose when to install them". So I installed them, and restarted computer for updates to take effect. It loaded to desktop as quickly as the first time except that same 60-90 seconds of limbo was back, a few minutes later I was notified of three high priority updates (sound familiar), so I went directly to the Windows update websight and installed them manually.

No change, Windows still indicated I needed the same three high priority updates as before. I don't know how many times one can update his or her computer before one goes crazy, this Windows Update loop is quite frankly driving me nuts! I will also note that my computer has been operating perfectly fine all of today since the first power on, it's when I power on or off the computer is when things get complicated and Windows goes into limbo. Also note that all of today Windows is indicating "Updates are ready for your computer".

Below are a list of everything I have done to try and fix this issue to no avail, also High-priority updates listed below.

1. System Restore fails or incomplete.

2. Chkdsk checks out 0 errors, 0 bad sectors.

3. Sfc /Scannow performed.

4. Reset Windows Update components, Method 1 fails, Method 2 fails and all methods fail.

Microsoft Windows XP

1. Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86
(KB2633880)

2. Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86
(KB2572073)

3. Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86
x86 (KB2518864)
May 23, 2012 9:33:53 PM

systemlord said:
Oh boy shoot me already,

I came home today from work, went into the computer room and pushed the power button on my computer. Windows XP SP3 loaded up as fast as usual, it quickly loaded to desktop and then was just unresponsive for 60-90 seconds as if stuck in limbo. The only function that worked was Task Manager which showed 2-4% CPU usage and Page File was at 240MB with 33 Processes.

I was then notified that there were three High Priority Updates (listed below), I have Automatic Updates set to "Download updates for me", but let me choose when to install them". So I installed them, and restarted computer for updates to take effect. It loaded to desktop as quickly as the first time except that same 60-90 seconds of limbo was back, a few minutes later I was notified of three high priority updates (sound familiar), so I went directly to the Windows update websight and installed them manually.

No change, Windows still indicated I needed the same three high priority updates as before. I don't know how many times one can update his or her computer before one goes crazy, this Windows Update loop is quite frankly driving me nuts! I will also note that my computer has been operating perfectly fine all of today since the first power on, it's when I power on or off the computer is when things get complicated and Windows goes into limbo. Also note that all of today Windows is indicating "Updates are ready for your computer".

Below are a list of everything I have done to try and fix this issue to no avail, also High-priority updates listed below.

1. System Restore fails or incomplete.

2. Chkdsk checks out 0 errors, 0 bad sectors.

3. Sfc /Scannow performed.

4. Reset Windows Update components, Method 1 fails, Method 2 fails and all methods fail.

Microsoft Windows XP

1. Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86
(KB2633880)

2. Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86
(KB2572073)

3. Security Update for Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 on Windows Server 2003 and Windows XP x86
x86 (KB2518864)

Systemlord: I experienced the same identical problem yesterday - 4 or 5 times. I think the last two times I cancelled the updates, then on shutdown the system insisted on installing them again. When I show updates on the add remove programs, it shows no updates installed for .net framework. Go Figure, huh ? - Today the computer, as yours is working per usual, and have received no further updates. I also posted here in xp forums, but received no responses....
m
0
l
May 24, 2012 12:39:02 AM

ksiemb said:
Systemlord: I experienced the same identical problem yesterday - 4 or 5 times. I think the last two times I cancelled the updates, then on shutdown the system insisted on installing them again. When I show updates on the add remove programs, it shows no updates installed for .net framework. Go Figure, huh ? - Today the computer, as yours is working per usual, and have received no further updates. I also posted here in xp forums, but received no responses....


It's been two days since the problems first occurred and it seems to have worked itself out, I changed the way Windows updates and that might be why there are no more problems. Before when I had the issue Automatic Updates was set to automatically download and install updates 1:00pm, I changed it to notify me of updates and let me choose when to install updates. Then I ran that program to fix the issue and ignored the constant update notifications until they disappeared altogether. Then to confirm I went directly to Microsoft Windows update page and it said there were not updates needed at this time. I think the problem will go away with time.
m
0
l
May 24, 2012 7:03:07 AM

systemlord said:
It's been two days since the problems first occurred and it seems to have worked itself out, I changed the way Windows updates and that might be why there are no more problems. Before when I had the issue Automatic Updates was set to automatically download and install updates 1:00pm, I changed it to notify me of updates and let me choose when to install updates. Then I ran that program to fix the issue and ignored the constant update notifications until they disappeared altogether. Then to confirm I went directly to Microsoft Windows update page and it said there were not updates needed at this time. I think the problem will go away with time.


There have been couple of other posts re this. In my case, I already had the update setting to let me choose when to install, but the issue prevailed.
As I mentioned, things are back to normal.
m
0
l
!