Sign in with
Your question

How to enable smart in IDE HDD

Last response: in Windows XP
May 23, 2012 7:35:10 AM

How to enable smart in IDE MAXTOR HDD

More about : enable smart ide hdd

May 23, 2012 12:32:23 PM

Depending on the age of the drive, it may not have SMART. Also, you can't enable it in the drive. The drive manufacturer's set this. If you think your drive has SMART, then enable it in your bios. You can also use a program such as speedfan to check the smart status of the drive.
m
l
Related resources
July 24, 2012 5:01:13 PM

Great, but how does one enable/disable SMART in the bios? (Asus Crossfire IV Formula Mboard).
m
l
July 24, 2012 5:33:41 PM

That leads to an interesting and relevant thread but it does not tell me how to enable and disable SMART in the BIOS?
m
l
July 24, 2012 5:53:12 PM

It depends on your motherboard/bios. When you computer is starting, look for the function key that says "setup" or "bios" and press that key. once in the bios, look for SMART.

OR

just read your motherboard manual like the rest of us do!!!!
m
l
July 24, 2012 6:11:54 PM

I have done the RTFM thing (like some of the rest of you :-)), and checked the BIOS on startup, both when I built this particular computer and many times since. I am quite experienced with this stuff, but this one eludes me.
m
l
July 24, 2012 6:48:41 PM

I just downloaded your manual. Unfortunately the PDF is protected to prevent copying so I can't copy/paste.. Chapter 3.4.4 says your bios detects if the drive has SMART and automatically enables it.
m
l
July 24, 2012 8:57:18 PM

Thank you so much. I had the manual on my desk and so I checked immediately I read your comment. I just had not gone to the descriptions for individual drives in the BIOS, and ASUS tech support could not point me to this section! Nor could I find that page in the manual, despite scanning it many times. By chance I have just had lunch with an expert on this subject and he had told me that S.M.A.R.T. is a feature of many hard drives, rather than of the BIOS itself in this case. Hence, no off/on option at that level. Thanks again for the pointer.
m
l
July 25, 2012 11:47:12 AM

A lot of bios's have SMART enable/disable. This may just be to show warnings during POST since windows and hard drive utilities can still read the SMART values directly from the drive.
m
l
July 25, 2012 2:11:44 PM

Yes, and as you pointed out for me, so does mine although I could not find it. I think the reason was that I was not thinking in terms of it being something built into the drive rather than the BIOS itself, or its related utilities. I gather this is now a common accompaniment of new drives.
When we looked at the drive with Linux, the same message appeared at Post, telling us
Hard Disk: S.M.A.R.T. Status BAD. Backup and Replace.
The drive was coming up sometimes in the BIOS (and therefore in Windows) and so I had performed a (secondary) backup on one of those occasions. Chkdsk hung every time, and a format from the command prompt would not complete. In Linux, we could see the files listed but not access them, nor could we format the drive. Every attempted maneuver resulted in an Unhealthy Drive notice. It has now been declared officially dead or mortally wounded, and that is that.
I have been working with computers since before PCs arrived, programming etc. (in a physiology lab for the first experiences) and for many years have been building my own; my current desktop includes four internal drives and four more in a Drobo box. This is the first time I have had this experience (with or without SMART technology). I guess it had to happen sooner or later.
Thanks again. No need for you to attend the memorial service. :) 
m
l
August 10, 2012 9:37:52 AM

Maxtor HDD I connect with another MBD, this time HDD SMART Check enable. So is it possible that configuration in MBD,OR BIOS Setting ?
m
l
!