Sign in with
Your question

Zalman Copper fin JUST AS GOOD as Corsair H70 - What am I doing wrong?

Last response: in Overclocking
April 20, 2012 8:39:58 AM

I purchased this Zalman Copper Fin cpu air cooler a long time ago, and under load I was getting about 44C. (I had a case fan blowing right on it which helped so much)

But anyway I decided to clean up the area so I went with a H70 and have a push/pull exhausting the air out the back of the case, but I'm getting 45-52C now. I checked to make sure I didn't have one fan on backwards, both fans are running 100% and the pump is running from bios settings.

Any thoughts or questions?

Also my pump has been ticking since I got it, sort of like an air bubble that never went away. Anyone else got that too?

Thanks for the help guys

---
Phenom II Quad core @ Stock 3.4GHz
890FXA-GD65 Mobo
Patriot 8GB RAM
H70 Liquid CPU Cooler
Some cheap 50$ case (decent airflow in my opinion though)
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 20, 2012 9:08:12 AM

can you post a pic of your case innards?

the slight airlock in your cooler will not affect temps, in fact, if there was an airlock, the temps would've caused the pump to stall and make the cpu skyrocket.

welcome to the forums newcomer!
m
l
April 20, 2012 9:38:39 AM

Hey Lutfij thanks for the warm welcome, I can tell these forums are going to be a safe haven for me, so much knowledge!

Here's the picture:
http://i.imgur.com/lp1vJ.jpg

Taken with phone so ignore the poor quality.

The side cover is connected to the fan controller, so the fan you see on the side is well the side fan in case the picture is unclear.

Also I wasn't concerned about the ticking noise being an airlock it's just an annoying sound that can be heard sometimes but it never went away as some people say it does.
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a c 150 K Overclocking
April 20, 2012 9:39:27 AM

Tilt/move the case around!
m
l
April 20, 2012 9:41:59 AM

amuffin said:
Tilt/move the case around!

I've had the H70 for about a month now and I tried moving the case while the pump was running, nothing seems to have made it go away. I don't believe it's impeding performance so it's more of just an annoying sound than a troublesome problem.
m
l
April 20, 2012 10:00:06 AM

Hate to cut it to an end but I have to go, bed+work etc etc etc I would love to hear feedback when I get back so I will talk to you guys then, thanks.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 20, 2012 12:28:01 PM

i asked for a pic of your innards because most users complaining of the issue are:
1| people who are worried of sudden noises
2| people who fear their pump is failing
3| bad case airflow
4| no cablemanagement (again a point stemming from 3)
5| having hot hardware in proximity

so:
1| tidy up the cables since i can see there are cable hiding options on the mobo tray
2| have HDD on teh bottom most level
3| move ODD up one notch/the top most notch
4| see how temps are without that LED exhaust fan
5| try to get a fan thas near the same specs as the corsair fan on the H70
6| are you runnign any overclocks along with the crossfire'd setup?
7| lastly, what are your ambient/room temps?
m
l
April 20, 2012 2:31:04 PM

Lutfij said:
i asked for a pic of your innards because most users complaining of the issue are:
1| people who are worried of sudden noises
2| people who fear their pump is failing
3| bad case airflow
4| no cablemanagement (again a point stemming from 3)
5| having hot hardware in proximity

so:
1| tidy up the cables since i can see there are cable hiding options on the mobo tray
2| have HDD on teh bottom most level
3| move ODD up one notch/the top most notch
4| see how temps are without that LED exhaust fan
5| try to get a fan thas near the same specs as the corsair fan on the H70
6| are you runnign any overclocks along with the crossfire'd setup?
7| lastly, what are your ambient/room temps?

1) Which cables are you pointing to tidy up? I JUST routed all my cables behind the Mobo and stuff, the Fan Controller is in the front of the case so the wires have to go across the Mobo sadly, and the Blue LED Fan has a 4-Pin Electrical that I have an adapter to 3-pin Fan and that sticks out badly.
2) I can't move the HDD because the Sata Power cable is not long enough, I could move my SSD AND the HDD to the top maybe?
4) I will give the No-LED Fan a try and see what I have.
5) Same specs as the "Corsair fan on the H70" I have the H70 barebone (I should have mentioned that) So right now I just have a 2000RPM fan (The black one) and the BlueLED fan Idk what speed it does.
6) I am currently not overclocking my cards but I want to, I'm actually troubleshooting right now on a different thread whether I am bottlenecking them or not
7) Haha I would have to say ambient is like 90F living in Arizona sucks sometimes.

So I mean other than that anything jump out at you? I mean I feel I have good airflow, all the fans are 2000RPM and I think that would move the air around enough, I just hope I don't have any dead spots that are hurting things.
m
l
a c 100 K Overclocking
April 20, 2012 2:44:00 PM

Try putting the 2000rpm fan on the "pull" side, with nothing on the push side. If the fans are different speeds or have different performance, they can hinder each other.

You might also want to consider contacting Corsair about the ticking, they should be fairly quiet. At high speeds just a "motor whine" should be audible. Also, if the H70 unit is plugged into the mobo "CPU fan" socket, have you gone into the BIOS and tried adjusting the speed? You should have pump speed control, the higher the better.
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
April 20, 2012 2:50:22 PM

Where is the the radiator mounted and orientation and are the inlet/outlet tubes on the bottom, top, sides, etc.

Unmount the radiator, lift it higher than the pump, turn on PC, and rotate the radiator slowly and return the tubing at the bottom and the radiator upright.
m
l
April 20, 2012 3:01:00 PM

Wolfram thanks ill give that a shot when I get back from work, I can't believe I never thought of that, I feel stupid haha.

Thanks for the advice about the fans ill change my fans around for the p/p to have identical fans.

Rubix the connectors are on the bottom currently, I don't think I could move it around but I was unaware if orientation mattered. I will try the manuevering of the rad when I get home from work aswell. Thanks for the tips guys!
m
l
a c 330 K Overclocking
April 20, 2012 4:02:36 PM

Orientation really shouldn't matter as much, but we've seen many instances where there is still some air in these systems and the pump isn't really powerful enough to overcome an airlock. Unmounting the radiator and rotating while on helps to dislodge air and push it into the rad and away from the tubing to get sucked in by the pump.
m
l
a c 78 K Overclocking
April 20, 2012 4:07:20 PM

wow, I've missed alot!

what fans are you talking of when you say they are 2000rpm?

before i did my H50 mod, i did an extensive read on the H50/60/70/80/100 owners club where they discuss and mod their units - wouldn't recommend modding :) . There i learn't that with the rad build , they run best/optimally when they have fans in push/pull setup and as intake - only a deg or 2 increase if you run them as exhaust. But what stands out is the need to have slower rpm fan in pull than in exhaust say something like:

pull<rad<push
1500rpm<rad<2000rpm

i also misinterpreted the ticking as an airlock, could also be that the pump may be failing. +1 to contacting Corsair Support.

judging from the picture, one of your gpu's blow more than 50% of the hot GPU air inside the case so your rad is drawing in warm air, coupled with the warm room temps :) 

generic LED fans aren't a good option as a rad fan either.

Quote:
I don't think I could move it around but I was unaware if orientation mattered
the manual, if not, the video on youtube states how you setup the rad.

points, you can consider about cabling

Quote:
there is still some air in these systems and the pump isn't really powerful enough to overcome an airlock.
true almost had my pump die on me when i had an airlock, good thing my snoopy eyes caught onto it before failure point.
m
l
April 21, 2012 1:31:22 AM

Alrighty guys thank you so much for all of the feedback!

I just got home from work so now I will begin trouble shooting all of the great advice, I have already moved the rad around while it's running, and it seemed to work, the clicking noise has decreased in volume since I first heard it, so I don't think it's a problem anymore!

Now I'm going to start changing my GPU configuration, I will try switching them and seeing if what Lutfij said is true about the XFX pushing hot air around the case.

-- Maybe I should make my side fan an exhaust? Any thoughts on this??

After that I'll go into BIOS and see if I can make my pump run any faster.

--------------

You guys are great, I opened another thread about my CPU possibly being bottlenecked, could you guys check it out and see if you can have some insight into it? Link
m
l
a c 92 K Overclocking
April 21, 2012 1:41:39 AM

Stephen72000 said:

-- Maybe I should make my side fan an exhaust? Any thoughts on this??

I personally don't like that idea, I think maintaining positive pressure in the case is helpful both for your GPU's and your airflow through your rad.
m
l
April 21, 2012 1:54:40 AM

Thanks, hey I just confirmed something I noticed before:

When I first startup both cards are clocked at stock speeds
GPU Speed: 900Ghz
GPU Clock: 1050Ghz

And it never goes down UNTILL I do something GPU intensive (Such as play BF3 for 5 seconds) then when it goes back to idling it will kick the cards down:

(One card clocks down differently<-- I don't think this is a problem)
One card:
Speed: 100ghz
Clock: 100ghz
Card Two:
Speed: 300ghz
clock: 300ghz

But see AFTER they properly clock down the temperatures drop enormously (60C to ~45C each) I know I have the latest drivers too!

Do you have any insight to this?
I'm still just monitoring my temps to see what the norm is I'll be bios testing in the next few minutes.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
April 21, 2012 4:43:05 PM

Your GPUs clock down? My 560Ti sits at 950/1900 MHz Core/Shader all the time and only hits 20-25C idle from boot up. As long as the GPUs aren't doing anything the temps should be staying down.

I'd say go for a complete reinstallation of the GPU drivers. Uninstall in Windows, download DriverSweeper and run in safe mode before reinstalling the drivers.
m
l
April 21, 2012 4:54:47 PM

boiler1990 said:
Your GPUs clock down? My 560Ti sits at 950/1900 MHz Core/Shader all the time and only hits 20-25C idle from boot up. As long as the GPUs aren't doing anything the temps should be staying down.

I'd say go for a complete reinstallation of the GPU drivers. Uninstall in Windows, download DriverSweeper and run in safe mode before reinstalling the drivers.

I will give that another shot, I had done that once already before.

But yes, AMD clocks down during idle periods. My stock is 900/1050 and my cards will drop down to ~100/150 and lik3 300/350 until they are used again.

But yes I know the temperature is way out of control for idle, 60C and they aren't being used not even 1%. I'll give the reinstall another try and see what it comes back with, thanks for the idea.
m
l
April 23, 2012 5:07:14 PM

edit: nvm i misread your post
m
l
!