Dumb question!

cryo

Distinguished
May 3, 2001
OK, so I am a networking newbie with a dumb question or two.

Basically, I want to connect 2 computers (WinME,Win98) now and another later (Linux). I also want to have all 3 utilize my DSL connection (I have the DSL modem already).

I was thinking I needed a hub (looking at the NetGear EN104TPNA), but was told by a self-proclaimed expert that I would actually need a router. I think he's full of it personally, but thought I better check with you folks before a made a foolish error!

Thanks!

Cryo

mattuconn

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2001
You can you use either a hub or the router to connect multiple computers, but there is a big difference. You can assign a router an IP address, say the one issued to you from your dsl provider, and then the router can assign several local ip addresses to the computers. This way you only have to pay your provider for one ip address. A hub is not assigned an ip address and it tries to assign an ip address to each computer. Therefore, if you attached two computers to the hub, and the hub to your dsl modem, the hub will try to assign two ip addresses. Because of this you would have to pay your provider for 2 ip addresses.
Now if you had a computer and put two network cards in it, you can make it a small server. Connect the dsl modem to one network card and hub to other and install a simple proxy program to give yourself a small inhouse network. But this does require alot knowledge and setup time.
Best bet is to go with the "Linksys® Cable/DSL Router, 4-Port, 10/100 Switch".

FatBurger

Illustrious
Best of luck to you...I'd hate to have to network WinME, Win98 and Linux together. I've had enough problems just with W2k and 98, or W2k and ME.

Apple? Macintosh? What are these strange words you speak?