Sign in with
Your question

Job position

Last response: in Work & Education
February 14, 2011 2:52:10 AM

Hello Tom's Hardware Forum,

I am currently learning the procedures in the CompTIA A+ exam. As you can see, the current level I am at is indicated below.

Now, where can I go with an A+ certification? There is a PC repair store here in town I like to visit to see what they have and chit-chat with the guys there about tech stuff. I asked several times the requirements of getting a job is. They said, "Just bring us a resume and we will have our boss look at it and call you." Another time was, I came into the store and asked if they needed any extra hands around the chop. They asked for my info and gave it to them and asked them to call if they need anything.

What are the chances of getting a job there with an A+?

More about : job position

February 14, 2011 3:50:50 AM

dogman_1234 said:
Hello Tom's Hardware Forum,

I am currently learning the procedures in the CompTIA A+ exam. As you can see, the current level I am at is indicated below.

Now, where can I go with an A+ certification? There is a PC repair store here in town I like to visit to see what they have and chit-chat with the guys there about tech stuff. I asked several times the requirements of getting a job is. They said, "Just bring us a resume and we will have our boss look at it and call you." Another time was, I came into the store and asked if they needed any extra hands around the chop. They asked for my info and gave it to them and asked them to call if they need anything.

What are the chances of getting a job there with an A+?

Every tech that I've talked to who mentioned his certifications first was an idiot. I don't know how many employers realize this however.

If I were in charge of a repair store I would ask a bunch of hardware questions up front, just to root out the idiots, then move on to software. Guys with A+ certs seem to be pretty good with that stuff :) 
February 14, 2011 4:04:47 AM

Sorry. I don't see how this helps. Maybe I am an tech idiot ;) 
Related resources
February 14, 2011 4:28:56 AM

dogman_1234 said:
Sorry. I don't see how this helps. Maybe I am an tech idiot ;) 
Let me reverse-engineer my response: I'm hoping most shops have, like me, come to value practical experience as a prerequisite to considering additional qualifications. As such, were I to write a cover letter, I would write in the order "I have xxx practical experience in addition to an A+ cert" rather than vice-versa.
February 14, 2011 12:37:00 PM

And practical experience would be like how long I have worked as a tech? If so, then how can anyone who has not been a tech get a tech job. That is my question.
February 14, 2011 1:09:24 PM

I found that an A+ was just the first step to getting my foot in the door. You have to really want it, ask tons of questions and if its an entry level job and you're young tell them you want to learn and work hard while doing it. Lots of old IT buffs do have a soft spot for the up and coming youngsters.
February 14, 2011 3:37:49 PM

dogman_1234 said:
And practical experience would be like how long I have worked as a tech? If so, then how can anyone who has not been a tech get a tech job. That is my question.
Everyone has practical experience of some kind, no? You probably have a computer, you're a member of the Tom's Hardware community, I'm sure you have some evidence of your practical knowledge...
February 14, 2011 5:43:08 PM

So, it will go something like this on the resume:

" Has worked 1000+ hours on Windows based Operating Systems and is CompTIA A+ certified."
February 15, 2011 5:28:50 PM

No response?
!