Computer resets and Windows load screen, hangs at crcdisk.sys

wbobeirne

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009
Hey guys, built my second computer and I'm having some troubles. Installed a copy of Windows Vista and now at the windows load screen, it lasts about a second there, flashes a BSOD (Too quick to read) and restarts my computer.

Now here's the tricky part. Running in safe mode it stops at crcdisk.sys every time, and then restarts. However, this does not happen to any other computers, just mine so it can't be the Hard Drive. Strangely though, other peoples hard drives work on this computer. I tried using different memory and removing the video card so those can't be a problem. The only thing left is the CPU or Mother Board but the fact thaht someone elses hard drive works on mine makes me think theres something wrong software wise, but I've tried installing multiple times with different discs.

If anyone can enlighten me, you get 20 cool points. Thanks for reading.

Solution

Well, I'm at a lost then.

Clone one of those hard drives or do a clean install would be my next suggestion.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
Windows and Linux see hard drives a little different. A bad hard drive will come up in Linux but not in Windows. That's my experience.

I think it's a bad hard drive. Try running check disk or try doing a fresh install?

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009

I'm sorry, I thought you said that you stuck other people's hard drive in your computer and it worked fine.

Or, did you stick your hard drive in other people's computer and it worked fine?

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009

Well, I'm at a lost then.

Clone one of those hard drives or do a clean install would be my next suggestion.

Solution
There are a number of causes of this problem; you don’t give enough information to give a definitive answer. However causes are installing vista with 4GIG of memory or more, installing certain drivers with certain updates. These problems should all have been fixed with SP1. Reinstall vista with SP1 or SP2 intergrated.

wbobeirne

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2009

This is a fresh install so no drivers were added, I also only have 2 gigs of RAM. Maybe it's time for me to upgrade to Win7 though.