New Gaming (mainly) build ~ 600 $

gsopa

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
Hey everyone,
I'm new in here, and I really like how the community responds to guys like me who is having prbs deciding on a new build. First of keep in mind that I'm in Europe, so prices will change a little, but I think they will be close to what are there.
I was planning to go for a Q9550 but today I read a lot of posts in internet saying good words about AMD. Also prob will go for ATI HD 5770 and aroud 4gb ram (2x2 so I have 2 slots free).
Basically I need some advice from you, if this is going to be a good build for a cpl of comming years and with what motherboard, PSU should I go.

Just FYI, I have a hdd that I plan to use (250gb) and also have monitor, keyboard and mouse.

Thank you in advance,

Gsopa

Getting an 80+ certified PSU should guarantee its not junk. Brands like Corsair, Antec, Seasonic, PC Power & Cooling are reliable.

Either go for an AM3 motherboard with an Athlon II or Phenom II CPU or go for an intel i5 and a P55/socket 1156 motherboard, depending on your budget. AMD does alot better at the low budget range.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
The Q9550 is a great chip. I have one right on a X48 motherboard, but it is a dead end socket. You're much better off with an AMD Phenom II X4 955 or 965. I wouldn't get the 140W AMD chips, they just suck up too much power. AMD has just released a 125W version of the 965. Prices are dropping almost everyday on these chips.

Bottom line: Get an AM3 motherboard, with DDR3 Ram, and a Phenom II instead of that Q9550.

gsopa

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
Thnx for the quick replay.
Just crossed Q9550 off the list. Now its up to AMD Phenom II x4 955 (125 W) or i5 750. Price-wise I would prob save some if I go with AMD, but what about performance ?

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009

If you want performance, then you can't beat Intel.

Motherboard prices between the P55 and X58 are about the same for the low end boards. AMD boards are only a few bucks cheaper. It's the ram that's gonna cost you more depending on whether it's dual or triple channel.

nofun

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009

i5-750 beats Phenom II x4

Err our very own forums had conducted detailed reviews, test set ups and articles and one needs just a tricore for a gming rig really @@ Whats with the P2X4, Q9550 & i5 ?? Planning to encode/render a lot? $600 is not a lot of money and every cent pumped into as good a GPU is the most sensible thing one could do with this budget. So building castles in the air and compromising real frames in real games? No thank u!
total.png

That and a GPU with enuff teeth for your desired resolution/games is about the best bang for buck u can get presently @@

gsopa

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
@ Batuchka, sry dude I couldn't get what u were trying to say really. I checked a lot of graphs and as the other guys said, going with i5/P2X4 is better than with Q9550, better for the future (even tho I might end up buying a new Mobo either not only a CPU). As I said the Hd5770 looks promising and I'm not ready to go with 5870 or 5970 'cus of the prices. What would you suggest me, go with an older CPU ?

I visited a local store today to check some prices.

I was thinking to go with this now:
AMD Phenom II X4 955 / compared to i5 from what I read isn't far with performance but the price drops alot
ASUS M4A79XTD EVO
Radeon HD5770 I would prefere this, but I know that 4870 isn't bad either, it would save me some $$ but I'd prefere to have that DX 11 in to it.
DDR3 1GB Kingston (x2) This is the minimum, we all know. But it is enough for now, and in the future I can switch these two for a 2 gig and buy another 2 Gb.
Corsair TX-Series 750W (or 650w) Either this or a OCZ 650.

I have a HDD that I will use and will go for a cheap case 'cus I don't care about the looks.

Anyways, all this at the local store came with quite a high price (around 620 Euros)

This isn't really what I had in mind, and was hoping if any of you could find a way to squizze the price somehow (no, I can't rob the store :p).
And if we leave the price in one side; Is this build a good one and is it going to work properly ?

Thnx,
Gsopa

gsopa

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009

Can you be more specific. Name the CPU / GPU combo you would rather go with plz