Sign in with
Your question

PLL confusion

Last response: in Overclocking
April 20, 2012 3:13:40 PM

Hey all
I've read quite a few posts on PLL voltage and a lot contradict each other which is really confusing me. Here is my understanding. Please let me know if I am right.

If core temperature is the limiting factor, you should try lowering it to lessen heat and possibly get a higher overclock for the cores. If stability (and not temp) is the limiting factor, you should raise it to try get the CPU more stable (provided you can handle the increased heat).
Is that right?

Also, I've never played with those types of voltages. Is it similar to basic CPU voltage in that you are pretty much safe (without going over stupid high values) if you do it slowly and monitor temperatures, or are there certain values you should avoid irrespective of temp, etc.?

Thanks
Alan

More about : pll confusion

a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
April 20, 2012 3:33:18 PM

The technical side of phase-locked loops: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phase-locked_loop

In practice, you hardly have to touch this value. As far as I know it doesn't affect CPU temperatures.

I think higher voltage just helps bring all your different frequencies into phase, so if you are using crazy multipliers it can help. In reality I'd only touch it if nothing else works (higher Vcore, higher IMC/QPI, disabling EIST, disabling C States, higher DRAM)
April 23, 2012 7:53:04 AM

Thanks for the reply.
Strange thing is that I see a lot of posts about people dropping it to 1.7 and achieving a faster overclock. That's what is confusing me. I would have thought a higher voltage would produce a more stable system but they are getting the opposite.
a b à CPUs
a c 100 K Overclocking
April 23, 2012 2:44:06 PM

Hm yeah that is weird. Although without seeing what they tried, it could be a coincidence. But I suppose we need an electrical engineer to help us figure out why that is the case.

Like I said before though, generally it shouldn't be touched except as a last resort for stability. And apparently that means trying to raise and lower it lol. Maybe I should give that a try.
!