Monitor for 200 bucks for gaming

killwish

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
looking for a good monitor with a 200 dollar budget. uses will be gaming and watching movies mostly. graphics cards are 3 4890s in crossfire.

i can squeeze out a bigger budget if someone can give me a good enough reason.

also looking for tips on pickind the right monitor. like what specs are important?

so far i found a samsung 23" with 2048x1152 resolution and 5 ms response time. should i look at a something with smaller res and faster response? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824001317

Solution

The difference between a "2ms" and a "5ms" monitor is marketing. When actually measured, they tend to be about the same.

Get a monitor for image quality, resolution, and low input lag. Don't worry as much about the claimed response time unless it is absurdly high.
I would get something with a 2ms repsonse time. May have to sacrafice some res but little to no ghosting is better than a higher res IMO....

That sammy is about as good of a deal as they get for that pricerange... A 2ms at that res is going to cost you around 300.00$+

killwish

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
any recommendations for something with a 2ms response?

i found this asus http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010190020+1106217860+131061713&QksAutoSuggestion=&ShowDeactivatedMark=False&Configurator=&Subcategory=20&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

The difference between a "2ms" and a "5ms" monitor is marketing. When actually measured, they tend to be about the same.

Get a monitor for image quality, resolution, and low input lag. Don't worry as much about the claimed response time unless it is absurdly high.

Solution

Really? I thought there was a bigger gap between both...

efeat

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008

Not to derail the topic or prod intrusively, but why aren't you looking at ginormous monitors with that kind of graphics power to back it up with? I would think a $200 monitor wouldn't be nearly sufficient to really let those 4890s flex their muscle.

The size of the screen is not as important as the resolution, a 22" screen @19 x 10 will require a more powerful card than a 40" @ 10 x 7.

killwish

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
the reason im not spending more is because i really dont have more money to spend. and besides to max out these cards would require a budget of several times my current one.... hell my parents have a 42 incher in the living room that they paid over a grand for and this pc would still walk all over it...

i was lucky enough to win this pc from tom's sbm give away in the first place. it the $2500 build from September btw.

i think im going back to that samsung since response time doesn't matter so much. any other idea's guys?