Sign in with
Your question

Will a defective CPU thermal sensor risk damage to the CPU?

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
February 3, 2010 8:24:05 AM

Hi. I have tried HWMonitor and Core Temp and many others and it seems my thermal sensors are not working as i get no/stuck reading for either core on my ACER 6935G with Core 2 Duo P8400 (6 months old). I was going to send it back but after reading the waranty conditions am having second thoughts (I could get sent a different laptop and loose my software documents etc and also end up with dead pixels or possibly other issues which my current laptop has none).... But obviously I dont want to fry my cpu if it gets too hot due to defective sensors.

So please any helpfull advise would be much appreciated :) 

P.s I can hear the fan changing speed... could it be that the sensors are not defective and for some reason the software is just not able to read them or is the fan fluctuating due to other internal sensors GPU, HDD etc and there for still at risk of overheating if the fan doesn't respond to temps in the cpu?

Thanks again

More about : defective cpu thermal sensor risk damage cpu

a c 159 à CPUs
February 3, 2010 9:36:18 AM

I don't know why you feel the need to use any thermal sensors with a laptop. The cpu heatsink is limited by the space available; it's going to run warmer than a desktop no matter what brand you use. I would take it out if it goes between the cpu and socket. It's really not necessary and not going to affect your temps; I haven't used a laptop yet that could overclock. Most fans do change speed in a laptop; slower uses less energy for longer battery life.
February 3, 2010 1:32:46 PM

Well, some laptops do have stock overclocking and support light overclocking.
(The Asus ROG laptop series, has 'turbo boost' for example, as well as a few other brands I can't name off the top of my head)

Other than that though, o1die (as per usual) was dead on.

If the CPU/Shroud fan kicks on, it means that a thermal sensor is working.
Where are you seeing the heat readings?
The BIOS?
3rd Party Software?
!