Your question

FSB

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • RAM
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
February 3, 2010 10:04:34 AM

Does the fsb of the cpu, mobo and ram need to match?
For example if my processor and mobo both have a fsb of 1066, do i need to get a ram stick with the same fsb?
I live in India and the ddr2 1066 ram will cost me nearly as much as the whole build will, hence the question if i need to match the fsb or if i can settle with a ram with a lower fsb; the 800fsb will cost me about half the price of the 1066.

Here is the config i am considering:
Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 2.93GHz
Intel D102GGC2 mobo
2 Transcend 2GB DDR2 1066 Mhz sticks
Samsung 22" 2233SW TFT
NVIDIA GeForce PCI-E 8400GS

Any suggestions? Am i making the right choice with the harware selected?

PS: I'm not going to be doing any over-clocking or anything and use the pc for mostly browsing and document work. I tend to have two browsers open with about ten tabs in each, with media monkey and a half a dozen word and excel files open; do i need 4 gb ram for such applications, or will 2 or 3 gb suffice?

Lastly can i use one 2gb stick and one 1gb stick?

More about : fsb

a b à CPUs
February 3, 2010 11:11:27 AM

The motherboard need to support the CPU and ram type. Other than that, no- you don't need to match the fsb to your ram frequency.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 3, 2010 12:14:26 PM

Keve said:

For example if my processor and mobo both have a fsb of 1066, do i need to get a ram stick with the same fsb?
do i need 4 gb ram for such applications, or will 2 or 3 gb suffice?

Lastly can i use one 2gb stick and one 1gb stick?

Keve
First, I have several concerns about your 2+1 configuration. I'm not sure which, but either you will only get 2GB of dual-channel memory, or 3 GB of memory being treated as single channel. Or is that not a dual-channel board? I couldn't tell from the specs I saw!
I looked up the specs for the "Intel D102GGC2." It supports DDR2, but only up to 2 GB (1 GB max each slot). And only 533/800; the 1066 sticks won't be (officially) supported.
Second, speeds don't need to match. It used to be that having a 1:1 ratio processor FSB to memory gave the best performance, but the more recent chipsets overcame that (of course, slower memory will lead to a slower system).
Second, you didn't mention the OS, did you? Just looked again and I don't see it. A 32-bit OS can't use above 3GB, so the question would be irrelevant. I don't see anything in your list that would be too demanding.
m
l
Related resources
February 3, 2010 1:27:31 PM

Sorry for the incomplete info

What config would you guys suggest? i'm not adamant that i need that config.

Id like something that allows me to use photoshop once in a while on my own photos, and the ability to have a whole lot of browser tabs and word files open simultaneously. Iv stayed away from AMD for fear of overheating, it gets pretty darn hot in India and the place where the computer will be used doesnt have air conditioning.

I plan to use windows 7 on the new setup
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 3, 2010 3:16:34 PM

how much cash are u ready to spend ?? i am an indian too... would be able to help u if u state ur budget...
m
l
a c 87 à CPUs
February 3, 2010 3:25:58 PM

I typed out a long post that didn't take. Short answer now.

The E7500 needs at least DDR2-533 ram. You should get at least that, or DDR2-667 or 800 depending on your budget. Double check that board supports the E7500 if it can't handle 2GB sticks.
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
February 3, 2010 3:27:18 PM

While we are talking about memory, let me say, "There ain't no such thing as DDR2-1066 RAM." Got your attention now, yes? :)  DDR2-1066 RAM is simply DDR2-800 RAM that has been tested to run at the higher speed, usually at an increased voltage and more relaxed timings.

Save your money.

An E7500 has a 266 MHz FSB. For this, all you need is DDR2-533 RAM if you are not overclocking. If you do plan on overclocking, you will never go past the capabilities of DDR2-800 RAM. And if you are on a tight budget, save more money by buying CL5 RAM instead of CL4 RAM.
m
l
February 4, 2010 6:56:50 AM

abhishekk89 said:
how much cash are u ready to spend ?? i am an indian too... would be able to help u if u state ur budget...

30-35k is what i was hoping for
m
l
February 4, 2010 6:57:31 AM

4745454b said:
I typed out a long post that didn't take. Short answer now.

The E7500 needs at least DDR2-533 ram. You should get at least that, or DDR2-667 or 800 depending on your budget. Double check that board supports the E7500 if it can't handle 2GB sticks.

thanks!
m
l
February 4, 2010 7:02:00 AM

jsc said:
While we are talking about memory, let me say, "There ain't no such thing as DDR2-1066 RAM." Got your attention now, yes? :)  DDR2-1066 RAM is simply DDR2-800 RAM that has been tested to run at the higher speed, usually at an increased voltage and more relaxed timings.

Save your money.

An E7500 has a 266 MHz FSB. For this, all you need is DDR2-533 RAM if you are not overclocking. If you do plan on overclocking, you will never go past the capabilities of DDR2-800 RAM. And if you are on a tight budget, save more money by buying CL5 RAM instead of CL4 RAM.

thanks for the advice, although id like to know if my calculations are correct..

mobo fsb 1066
cpu clock speed: 2093
multiplier: 7 (fsb/4, 1066/4=266; 2093/266=7.8 approximately 8 )
actual operating frequency: ~261 (clockspeed/multiplier; 2093/8 )
ddr2 ram 533mhz also operates at 266 (533/2)

which still doesnt help me understand how the mobo's fsb comes into play... :o 

If i am wrong id really love to know how the fsb for a mother board ram and processor are calculated and matched. thanks!
i will be considering a slightly better processor in all probability and dont wanna have to keep coming back and pestering you guys to check if it matches or not :sol: 
m
l
a c 87 à CPUs
February 4, 2010 10:44:59 AM

Relax, your math is fine.

The CPU FSB matters because thats what sets the bus speed for the ram. For example, if you use the chip your looking at, you need at least DDR2-533. If you get one of the 1333MHz FSB chips, then you need DDR2-667. You can also work backwards. If you want to OC to X frequency with Y chip, then you know you'll need Z FSB. Divide that in half and thats what speed ram you'll need.
m
l
February 4, 2010 11:24:07 AM

4745454b said:
Relax, your math is fine.

The CPU FSB matters because thats what sets the bus speed for the ram. For example, if you use the chip your looking at, you need at least DDR2-533. If you get one of the 1333MHz FSB chips, then you need DDR2-667. You can also work backwards. If you want to OC to X frequency with Y chip, then you know you'll need Z FSB. Divide that in half and thats what speed ram you'll need.

bloody brilliant! all clear, thanks!

m
l
February 4, 2010 11:25:37 AM

an update for all the guys who took time out to help me, this is the final config im settling for:

Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00GHz
Ram: 2 Transcend DDR2 2GB
Motherboard: Gigabyte G41 GA-EG41MF-US2H
Monitor: Samsung 22" 2233SW
HDD: Seagate 500GB Internal Sata
Cabinet: iBall Work Horse
SMPS: ATX SMPS 400 WATS
Input: Keyboard and mouse
DVD writer: Samsung DVD Writer 22X SATA

I have gone a bit beyond my budget but i don't really mind, for a few bucks more i think this seems to be a much more promising system :) 

Few questions or rather things im wondering about:
Ram: Is it better to use two 2gb sticks or four 1gb sticks?
Motherboard: "The PCI Express x16 slot share the PCI Express x16 bus with the HDMI and the DVI-D ports. When the PCI Express x16 slot is in use, the HDMI and the DVI-D ports become unavailable" this is the comment on the Gigabyte website, and make sme wonder what I could do if i ever need the PCI Express x16 slot in the future. Im guessing the only reason ill need it is to install a graphics card which will have HDMI and DVI-D ports of it own, can you think of any reason why this should be a problem? I considered the MSI G41 G41TM-E63 but i must say the Gigabyte sounds much better with the copper wiring and everything, what do you think?
Monitor: Will this monitor work well with my on board graphics card? A little worried considering the sizes and native resolutions, never bought a tft before, leave alone a 22 incher.

btw, I will be running windows 7

Waiting to hear what you think of the system

m
l
a c 87 à CPUs
February 4, 2010 1:02:04 PM

2x2GB runs better then 4 sticks of ram. Running four sticks in some configurations will cause the ram to run slower. The "issue" with the PCIe 16x slot is pretty common actually. Its not really an issue as the card you put in there should have DVI at least, and DMI is possible. The only time you wouldn't want this is if you wanted the onboard to stay on so you could run 3 monitors. (two on the card, one from the mobo.) Stay with an AMD 5xxx series and you can run three from the card anyways so its not that important.

The biggest issue I see with your build is the junk PSU/SMPS. You failed to list the brand, and I get the feeling at 400W its a junker that comes with the case. You might want to cut down a bit on the CPU if you can get a quality PSU. You don't need a huge one, but I'd feel better with the 380/430W Antec or the 400W Corsair.
m
l
February 5, 2010 5:16:39 AM

checked up on the corsair (antec isnt available) costs about 4.5k inr..
any idea how an iball smps would be? seems to be a reputable company in india and costs a fraction of the price at about 1kinr
m
l
February 5, 2010 5:26:20 AM

These are my options:

Zebtronics (450w)
Technotech (450w)
iBall (400w)
Enterage (450w)
Cooler master (460w)
Cooler master (500w)
Corsair (400w)
Corsair (450w)
Gigabyte (460w)
Tagan (600w)
m
l
a c 87 à CPUs
February 5, 2010 5:33:19 AM

Which of those options can you actually afford? Never heard of iBall, do you know who really made it? For example Corsair doesn't actually make thier PSUs, they are made by several different companies including SeaSonic and CWT. If the company that made the iBall is a good one, then its ok to use. Otherwise you're better off staying away from it.
m
l
!