pyrolysis

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I have a pair of 2gb Team Elite DDR3 1333hz rams. First boot up with 4gb of rams works fine. Even with restarting or turning off and turning it on again after a couple of minutes. But if the pc is turned off for a long period of time (like 1 hour), the next boot up comes with BSOD. Tried to take out one of the rams and put it back in the same position, no more BSOD. Turn off pc again for a long time, the next boot up gives BSOD again. Do the same thing (removing and replacing one the rams in the same slot where it is removed), no more BSOD. Even changing rams position would give me the same error. First time changing the ram position solve the BSOD problem, but when i turn off the pc for a long time and turn it on again, the BSOD would come. No matter what ram positions i put. I also noticed that that when the rams are positioned in this way [l][][][l], only 2gb is detected. When rams are positioned this way [l][][l][], pc wont boot at all. While the rest of the positions would give 4gb. Any solution regarding this problem? It has been bugging me since i got my new pc 3 months ago. All my hardwares are new.
My system specs:
i5 750
Asus P7P55-M
2 x 2gb Team Elite DDR3 1333hz ram
Silverstone Strider st56f 560W
Sapphire HD 5850
Samsung 500gb HDD
Lancool K58

You need to spend some quality time in the motherboard owners manual. It will tell you what RAM slots you're supposed to use. You'll need to double check in the owners manual, but I'm 99% sure you're supposed to use the blue RAM slots on your motherboard.

I can't seem to find the detailed specs of your RAM online. Does the RAM have a sticker on it that lists its rated timings and voltage? You should manually set the RAM speed, timings, and voltage to their rated values in the BIOS. Once you get the RAM in the correct slots and the values set correctly in the BIOS you should perform an overnight Memtest86+ test to check for faulty RAM.

pyrolysis

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Thanls for your reply.
http://www.teamgroup.com.tw/teamgroup/en/productDetail.php?pd_id=348&pl1_id=2&pl2_id=47
This website contains the specs of my rams.
My rams are put in the blue slots, both of them, running in dual channel mode. All my rams' settings are set to auto in the bios. I ran memtest overnight with both of rams in and detected no errors in 7 passes. Do i need to manually set the RAM speed, timings, and voltage now? What values should i put?

Memtest86+ is good at detecting faulty RAM, but often doesn't fail due to incorrect settings. Your RAM is rated at 1333MHz with 9-9-9-24 timings at up to 1.575v. I would manually set all those values in the BIOS.

What OS are you using? Did you perform a fresh install of the OS on this hardware? What are your idle/load CPU temps?

The motherboard owners manual will tell you how to manually set the RAM values. All the settings should be in the "AI Tweaker" section of the BIOS. You have to change the DRAM frequency from auto and manually set the speed (1333MHz).

http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/articles/2009/10/31140214846l.jpg

You have to change the DRAM voltage from auto to the correct value (1.575v).

You also need to go into the "DRAM Timing Control" section and set the first four values to 9-9-9-24.

http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/articles/2009/10/31140217249l.jpg

pyrolysis

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
I did everything you tell. DRAM voltage is now 1.575 and its in yellow colour. DRAM frequency is now DDR3 1333Mhz. First four values in the DRAM Timing Control are now 9-9-9-24. Everest shows DRAM Bus Voltage of 1.605V before this and now its 1.575V. Is it showing the voltage for the rams? And could it be too high before this causing BSOD (1.605V)?