options for analog cell modem service

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
June 22, 2004 8:54:42 PM

I own a relatively new (<1yr) Toshiba Satellite laptop. My work in the oil
and gas industry takes me far from cities, often I am in areas with only
analog cell service. I note that most of the major providers in my area
(western Canada) seem to offer service on their "1X" CMDA2000 digital
networks using something like Sierra Wireless's AirCard, with no mention of
any type of analog cell modem service.

Does anyone know of a hardware/service solution that would allow me to
connect to the internet via either my cellphone in analog mode or via some
other PCMCIA card modem/cellphone?

Dave
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 22, 2004 8:54:43 PM

"Dave" <dspear99ca@yahoo.delete.com> writes:
> Does anyone know of a hardware/service solution that would allow me to
> connect to the internet via either my cellphone in analog mode or via some
> other PCMCIA card modem/cellphone?

There were analog cellular modems made for various analog phone
models, but they were horribly unreliable. You rarely got more than
4800 bps connection, and the connections dropped all the time.
June 22, 2004 8:54:43 PM

"Dave" <dspear99ca@yahoo.delete.com> wrote in message
> I own a relatively new (<1yr) Toshiba Satellite laptop. My work in the
oil
> and gas industry takes me far from cities, often I am in areas with only
> analog cell service. I note that most of the major providers in my area
> (western Canada) seem to offer service on their "1X" CMDA2000 digital
> networks using something like Sierra Wireless's AirCard, with no mention
of
> any type of analog cell modem service.
>
> Does anyone know of a hardware/service solution that would allow me to
> connect to the internet via either my cellphone in analog mode or via some
> other PCMCIA card modem/cellphone?
>
> Dave

You can still connect on Verizon Wireless using the voice channel at ~14.4kb
(or less). You need a data cable for your phone and you simply set up the
windows dialer to use the phone.

Obviously that is a solution for the US but there is probably something
similar there. I would start by getting a data cable for your phone.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 24, 2004 6:53:04 PM

On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 16:54:42 GMT, "Dave" <dspear99ca@yahoo.delete.com>
wrote:

>I own a relatively new (<1yr) Toshiba Satellite laptop. My work in the oil
>and gas industry takes me far from cities, often I am in areas with only
>analog cell service. I note that most of the major providers in my area
>(western Canada) seem to offer service on their "1X" CMDA2000 digital
>networks using something like Sierra Wireless's AirCard, with no mention of
>any type of analog cell modem service.
>
>Does anyone know of a hardware/service solution that would allow me to
>connect to the internet via either my cellphone in analog mode or via some
>other PCMCIA card modem/cellphone?

I do it with cingular and my Nokia 6340i. It connects through the
infrared port but all I get is 9600 baud. This is perfectly usable
for checking email and doing a slight amount of web surfing with
images turned off.
!