can't use my cdrom drives, help

I just did a clean install two days ago of windows xp home,
and I was able to play audio cds fine until this morning. I
had an MP3 cd in my dvd drive, and removed it. later, I
tried to play a cd in my cdrw drive as the dvd drive was
hot, and I received an error message saying that I needed
to "go to the control panel and install and configure
system components". I tried using different cds in each
drive, and now both drives give me the same message.
I'm a nooby to this stuff, how can I do this?

The simplest way to solve the problem, which seems somewhat strange, is to
go to Start/Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager and under the tab
labelled DVD/CD-ROM Drives delete both drives. Now reboot and the machine
will automatically detect and reload the drivers for you drives. Both
drives should once more be OK.