Need suggestion on Programming Desktop

nj121

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Guys,

I need you suggestions about the ZT systems 7337ma desktop (no monitor). I will be using this computer for my programming / development purpose. I looked around and found this one with the decent price so I am planning to pull the plug but would like to hear your opinion.

I also saw some thread on the same machine and you guys made comment about the power supply and graphics card.

I don't play any game at all (yes, serious). I will use this computer for general office use and for heavy duty programming (need lots of ram, i guess).

please let me know if i should reconsider or you guys know of any better machine.....

current price is 599

here is the link to this computer and some information:

http://www.costco.com/Browse/Produc...esc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC5-Cat84&topnav=

Processor & Memory:

AMD Phenom™ II X4 Processor 945 (3.0GHz)
AMD 780V / SB700 chipset
8GB DDR2 SDRAM memory (4 x 2GB, shared)

Drives:
1TB (7,200RPM) SATA Hard Drive
22x max DVD±RW optical drive
Front panel 19-in-1 multimedia card reader

Graphics & Video:
Integrated ATI Radeon™ HD 3100 graphics with DVI

Communications:
10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN

Audio:
8-channel capable audio with Jack Sensing
Keyboard & Mouse:
ZT 104-Key Desktop Keyboard
ZT Optical Mouse

Expandability (total bays):
2 x 5.25" external (1 occupied)
2 x 3.5" external (1 occupied)
4 x 3.5" internal (1 occupied)
1 x PCIe x16
1 x PCIe x1
2 x PCI

Ports and Slots:
DVI port
VGA port (15-pin)
6 x USB 2.0
2 x PS/2
6 in 1 Audio-out port
RJ-45 (LAN)

Operating System & Software:

Microsoft® Windows 7 Premium - 64 bit
Symantec Norton Internet Security 2009 (90-day trial)

Additional Information:
CPU Dimensions: 14.25" H x 7.2" W x 16.5" D
CPU weight (approximate): 25 lbs.
Power Supply: 300W ATX

Hardware Warranty: 2-year limited hardware parts and labor from date of purchase
Lifetime 24/7 toll-free phone support
Email and fax support from 9am-6pm EST
For information, visit www.ztsystems.com/support

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
for an office machine it would be more than enough, the 8 GB of ram and a quad core thing for 599 is nice and on par with what I would think you can build it for with an OS, while the PSU is likely no name, it should be able to power at least the system as long as you are not planning to max out the CPU usage 24/7 like a folding rig, if it's simple office and programing and general multi-tasking with 10+ apps and what nots then yeah this would be sufficient.

The 1 TB hard drive should last ya if you don't multi media at all and thus the psu should likely not power a second or third hdd, and you should be safe.

The only downer is that this is an older generation tech, being based on DDR2 and not DDR3 and it is using the older socket AM2 Ph IIs rather than the newer AM3, but chances are this thing won't be upgraded anytime soon from what I'm hearing you are doing to it.

Unless you are doing some funky programming with some heavy duty stuff that is.

nj121

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Thanks for your response.

Yes I will be doing a heavy duty programming. At this point, I can easily utilize 2-3 gb ram just doing my programming work.

Yes, in a given day I run around 7-12 application at the same time. Will be running multiple application servers as well.

My current laptop is lenovo t61 with intel 8100 processor and 3 gb ram. At times, I feel that i need little more ram / speed.

I need little stable environment which laptop can't provide so I am looking for heavyduty machine (like this, I thought) to work on my stuff

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
yeah should be more than enough, the 8100 is a duo core and the Ph II is a quad, while it is older generation, it competes very well with your t61, at friggin 600 for it and the ram in a complete package with some okay IGP you are fine for office work

although one thing that I'll add to this but is completely optional to you is that you seem like someone that can actually use eyefinity and multiple monitors for you work, while it is going to be a somewhat expensive upgrade (considering the psu may need to be replaced) but if you look for some of the lower end radeon 5000 series cards with eyefinity for 3 monitors it may be great for ya, I know when I program for school I have things like the IDE, word, internet and some pdfs open and I would love an eyefinity setup for something like that.

nj121

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010

Thanks man for your great info....

I have to look into eyefinity setup....

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
Yeah, but remember it's not going to be extremely cheap eh

you need a gfx that can do it, and most likely it's around 100 dollars, less when AMD releases it's lower end non gaming parts, but who knows if they can do eyefinity

then you need the monitors that is able to use the outputs, which at this time, you need some sort of display port monitor (expensive as hell) or an display port to DVI adapter and do a DVI + DVI + DP -> DVI setup (the cheapest of them all), and I have no clue how much those are, and add in around 200 dollars per monitor and assuming you have one, you could be paying more for the monitors and gfx and adapters than you did for your computer!!

just a suggestion eh, cuz this isn't going to be a cheap solution and while it is great for relatively high end solutions, it may not be the best for ya.

I really don't like sending people in to a situation where they feel they have to have something without knowing the cost lol, as much as I like the buy more and more and more approach, it isn't possible for some ppl, yeah i'm sore about the cost of good 1920*1200 monitors X.x

nj121

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2010
Sorry to drag this thread but I just saw one of desktop and want to share with you...

ZT 7351ma : 699
Processor & Memory:

* AMD Phenom™ II X4 Processor 955 (3.2GHz)
* AMD 760G / SB710 chipset
* 8GB DDR3 SDRAM memory (16GB Max, 4 DIMMS)

Drives:

* 1.5TB (7,200RPM) SATA Hard Drive
* 22x max DVD±RW optical drive
* Front panel 19-in-1 multimedia card reader

# Power Supply: 300W ATX

ZT 7337xa = 599

Processor & Memory:

* AMD Phenom™ II X4 Processor 945 (3.0GHz)
* AMD 780V / SB700 chipset
* 8GB DDR2 SDRAM memory (4 x 2GB, shared)

Drives:

* 1TB (7,200RPM) SATA Hard Drive
* 22x max DVD±RW optical drive
* Front panel 19-in-1 multimedia card reader

Just want to know if any of these computer are worth considering for development use?

If yes, is 7351 model for 699 is really worth than 7337 for 599? if this computers doesn't sound right to you then the only other options i see is dell poweredge 310.....

I would like to order something really soon so please let me know your suggestions.

-R

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
well do you want 6 cores? do you want to drop more money on memory upgrades to 16 GB (EXPENSIVE AS HELL)?

500 GB extra isn't exactly bad, but it's not steller, so unless if you want to upgrade (do it your self eh) in the future then you want to get the cheaper system, 8 GB is basically what I call the max sensible cost with 4 * 2 GB sticks, to go higher you need 4 * 4 GB sticks and they are not cheap for consumers, and i have no clue if they are going to drop in price before DDR4 or w/e comes out...

look at this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220466&cm_re=8_GB_ddr3-_-20-220-466-_-Product

2 * 4 GB kits for 464 dollars, in order to get 16 GB you need 2x of that and that puts ram at around 1000 dollars if you want to upgrade to any higher amount of ram (there are no 1 * 3 GB kits)

you gota ask your self is it worth it to drop it on this much ram, and if the answer is yes then you may really want to look at building your own or get a high end workstation with opterons or xeons rather than a desktop, because a usual server board with 2 processors (xeon 5520s for example) supports 12-16 DIMM slots or 6-8 DIMM with just one processor, and they would definitely give you more ram and not cost that much more than spending 1000 dollars on ram that works on your desktop, or at the least a i7 based workstation with a mobo that gives you 6 DIMM slots.

Secondly, on the processor, if you want to go 6 cores, you get the first one with the 955, and it should hopefully be a drop in replacement when "Magny-Cours" (6 core amd processor) comes in, and the mobo they uses allow it, if you want this you should call up the manuf and ask them if they will update the bios to support the new processors, or build your own at this point.

But if you don't need the more ram and the 6c proc, the cheaper one is going to be as good as it gets (even better than if you built it your self I would imagine), I would try to inquire about the psu and its make and model and check to see if it's a good one and try to haggle with them for a better branded one (corsair, pc & c, OCZ, thermaltake, etc.) if it's a no name or crap like flower power