Help! unit powers on and mouse, keyboard and monitor does not!

sweetie64

Distinguished
May 26, 2010
Help! Powering up my pc and the fans, usb linksys, hardrive kicks on. The mouse, keyboard and monitor does not turn on. Thing is, press the power button and it turns on unit but what used to be a blue light when powered on is no longer on, yet fans, linksys and hard drive is running but mouse, keyboard and monitor is not powered on.
Do I need to buy another motherboard and if so, do I have to re-install evertything and wipe out my hard drive which I really don't want to lose everything, but I can't see anything because monitor is blank and won't power on when I power up. I blew out all dust particles, took off heat sink and applied silver artic thermal to cpu and still nothing to mouse, keyboard and monitor but everything else powers on when button is pushed and light does not turn blue like it should. Please advise as what should be done. :cry:

sweetie64

Distinguished
May 26, 2010

Hello followed steps and now just the fans are running, no light when power button is pressed but it won't shut off unit either. Does this mean I need a new mother board?

In my experience, I have found that display problems are seldom caused by a bad motherboard; however, there have been a couple of instances where the mobo was indeed the culprit.

If you've performed every possible step in the troubleshooting guide (made sure all connections are secure; swapped GPU; ran MemTest86+ 4.1; tested your components in another system; et al) and jsc's breadboarding guide (pulling out the mobo and building the system out of the case [on a non-conductive surface]), then I suppose it is safe to assume that the motherboard is faulty.