Sign in with
Your question

Is something wrong with my GTX 580? And is this a bottleneck?

Last response: in Overclocking
April 21, 2012 2:58:38 PM

Hey all. (Newbie warning)

Just built a new system and using MSI afterburner my "GTX 580 Twin Frozr II OC" memory clock shows as 2048 mhz, but it should be 4096mhz as that is the specification I saw when purchasing the card online, and on MSI's website.

Also wondering if my system is bottlenecked, specs below:

Mobo: Gigabyte z68xp-ud3p
CPU: Intel core i5 2500k @ 4.7 ghz
GPU: GTX 580 Twin Frozr II OC
RAM: 8GB DDR3 Vengeance 1600mhz

April 21, 2012 3:09:28 PM

Quote:
2024 mhz is perfectly correct.
4048mhz is it's effective DDR5 rate.

Ah I see, thanks for clearing that up for me :)  any idea about the bottleneck? i've seen people say "be careful not to bottleneck" but I have no idea what that is or if my system is bottlenecked
April 21, 2012 3:20:13 PM

Quote:
You have no bottleneck at all!
You could run 3x 580's with no bottleneck, rest assured.

Ah great, thanks very much for your help :) 
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a c 224 K Overclocking
April 21, 2012 5:01:31 PM

ryrai said:
Hey all. (Newbie warning)

Just built a new system and using MSI afterburner my "GTX 580 Twin Frozr II OC" memory clock shows as 2048 mhz, but it should be 4096mhz as that is the specification I saw when purchasing the card online, and on MSI's website.

Also wondering if my system is bottlenecked, specs below:

Mobo: Gigabyte z68xp-ud3p
CPU: Intel core i5 2500k @ 4.7 ghz
GPU: GTX 580 Twin Frozr II OC
RAM: 8GB DDR3 Vengeance 1600mhz

recon-uk has already answered except I think he missed 2048mhz is dual data rate = 4096mhz.

MSI Afterburner is only setting memory in half values so multiply the setting by 2 to get the actual outcome speed.

If you're going to use MSI Afterburner to further overclock you 580GTX don't get too aggressive, because you do not have the cooling for it. Just a word of caution.
a b U Graphics card
a c 224 K Overclocking
April 21, 2012 5:15:55 PM

Since MSI Afterburner is being used.

If the TF model did a better job of cooling the memory modules themselves he would have more memory OC headroom but unfortunately memory is the weak link in the chain.

Temperature wise the individual memory chips are not monitored and all it takes is one chip not making good thermal contact, it overheats and the card is ruined.

So I suggest if intentions are to OC the 580GTX overclock the GPU clock and leave the memory alone, but ryrai, I'm just recommending caution, it's your money to do with what you want.
April 21, 2012 6:11:46 PM

Thanks both for your input, everything is clear now. I don't plan on overclocking anything as I bought the system overclocked, I don't know how to overclock myself :p  my system can play all the games I want to play at 60-100fps anyway and thats all I wanted :) 
a b U Graphics card
a c 224 K Overclocking
April 21, 2012 6:48:57 PM

That's a sweet performing system!
!