Hey all.

Just built a new system with the following specs:

Mobo: Gigabyte z68xp-ud3p
CPU: Intel core i5 2500k @ 4.7 ghz
CPU Cooler: Antec h20 920
GPU: GTX 580 Twin Frozr II OC
RAM: 8GB DDR3 Vengeance 1600mhz
Case: CM Storm Enforcer

Just wondering if the following temps seem normal, as I have no idea what is the normal range, but these seem high to me:

Idle my CPU temps range from 40-50 degrees
Running FFXIV Benchmark they went to 71 degrees max

Idle my GPU temps range from 31-35 degrees
Max load 65-70 degrees

EDIT: All degrees are in celsius

ryrai

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012

Thanks for your reply, sorry I forgot to add that i'm using an Antec h20 920 water cooler, but it's only just been installed

ryrai

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012

I bought an overclocked bundle from Scan.co.uk, so i'm not sure :( the overclock on the cpu is: 4718.70MHz, BCLK: 100.35MHz, multiplier 47.00, Voltage 1.4888V -- I have no idea what any of that means lol just looked at the software that came with the motherboard that tells me my overclock details.

Playing BF3 my CPU went to 76 degrees maximum, which seems very high to me :(

andrewcarr

Distinguished
That voltage is too high the highest you should set it at is 1.4 volts. Change that as fast as possible. The BCLK is base clock and the multiplier if how many times the base clock is multiplied to get to the overall clock. Voltage is the voltage of the CPU and on Sandy Bridge don't set it above 1.4V for longevity 1.45V (although I wouldn't) at the very highest. Over 1.4V and the life of the CPU will decrease. The highest the CPU should run as stated by intel is 72.6 degrees C. http://ark.intel.com/products/52210

ryrai

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012

Thanks again for the help and information. Unfortunately I bought the bundle (motherboard/CPU/RAM) from Scan overclocked, I don't know how to overclock myself...since the temperature went to 76 degrees, would it of caused any damage? it didn't stay at 76, just reached it for a few minutes...the software that came with the CPU cooler isnt working so I cant control the CPU cooler fans and the fan is at a very low speed permanently :/ I need to up the fans somehow.

andrewcarr

Distinguished
Well unless you want that $200 CPU to self destruct I would go into the BIOS and try to change it. Are you sure the software isn't working and there isn't just a mechanical switch?

robertris2

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

It is absolutely correct that your voltage is far to high! That being said, a general rule of thumb for OC is that, your voltages will vary greatly depending on your hardware capabilities. 2 different i5 or i7 cpus may all get up to the same clock speed, but the required voltages to sustain said clocks may vary greatly. It seems to me, the company you bought it from didn't know what they where doing to ship a customer a "professionaly overclocked" rig running at such high voltages.

Sorry to be a buzz kill =/

However, the bright side is, you do not neccesarily have to keep these settings. First of all, If I where you, I would lower my vcore (also knows as vcc or cpu voltage) to about 1.35 volts. Download prime95 or intel burn test. These programs will generate a max load on your cpu and tell you if it's stable. If it is not stable (program may alert you or your computer might freeze, BSOD, or just crash) you will increase your voltage by the smallest incriment and try again. Don't attempt it if you don't feel comfortable enough to get in to BIOS, change a few settings, and lots of trial and error.

This is only a suggestion.. ultimately though, I would call the company you purchased the rig from and complain, something to the effect of "My cpu voltages are too high!".

I've seen 5.0Ghz overclocks using less voltage..

robertris2

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

Also, on this, 76 degrees is probably a high limit to CPU temperatures. Generally most people will not go over 80, and the CPU will start to throttle around ~90-98. I do believe you should be getting better results though. My default BIOS settings had my i5 running at 1.28 volts for stock clock ratings. I manually adjusted that to 1.12 volts and saw a 15 degree difference in CPU temperatures.

On the fan subject, why does the software not work? You can also plug those fans in to your motherboard in the CPU_FAN connectors and your MOBO will manually adjust them. Uually the BIOS will also have the option of choosing profiles for fan speeds.

since the temperature went to 76 degrees, would it of caused any damage?

That kind of temp is more of something that decreases longevity than something that causes immediate damage. 90+ is where bad things can happen quickly, which is why it starts to throttle then. But yes, decreasing voltage is the best way to bring temps down, even though with a high OC, that's not always possible.

ryrai

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2012

I see, thanks for all that information. First thing Monday I will phone the company (Scan) I purchased from and tell them I want the voltages lowering (i'm a bit scared to do it myself, i've never entered the BIOS myself). Should I avoid using the computer until I have got the voltage lowered? or will short term use not matter as long as the vcore is lowered on Monday?

robertris2

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012

That won't be necessary as you will not be using it to its limits. Just make sure they take care of it!

JunoNH

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
you're still going to get at least a 4.4 out of that chip @ 1.4v's so i wouldn't be too dissapointed.

but definately press them under the grounds that they missold you a product. i'm pretty sure they aren't allowed to advertise an unsustainable speed/voltage.

i know i can boot into 4.5ghz+ on this setup and mess around on facebook for 30 minutes, but it wouldn't pass 10 seconds on prime95 + i'd have to have everything else on stock.

i shouldn't be allowed to then sell this as a 4.5ghz computer.

Captain Archer

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012

I know this is a little late but in case it still helps or can help somebody else..

Do you have " chillControl V" installed for your H20 920? If not go to the Antec site and download it. You should be able to control many aspects of the H20 920 with the software.

http://www.antec.com/product.php?id=704370&pid=17

My FX-8150 is way more power hungry than your i5 ever will be. I can prime95 for days @ 5ghz on my processor and my temps never go beyond 65 which is quite cool for this processor.

More than likely the place that did your system was trying to dial in the best power savings while gaining the best performance at the same time and failed. After you have control over your fans with the Antec software, you can set your own fan configuration so that it can ramp to full speed when necessary.

I'd also lower your voltage a little as suggested by other members.

TRENDING THREADS