Xp repair stalls

materene

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
Hello,
I replaced my motherboard and trying a repair using my xp home disc,all was going well but something happened that has caused it to stall and not progress after loading the setup files. It just sits there and does nothing after the please wait while setup initializes your windows xp configuration. If I reboot at that point the setup screen comes up at 39 minutes but just sits there. I cannot use safemode now , is there anyway to get rid of that file that is halting the repair. It is not my motherboard or hardware because I just installed a clean install so I could see my other drive I am trying to repair. There has to be a file someplace that is halting the repair. Any help appreciated

Would you walk through exactly how you are doing the repair reinstall?

Is this a home built, or a brand name computer?

Curious if the repair got no further than you say the old HDD will still boot to the old M/B right?

It would be trouble but:

Additionally you do have another option since you have already done a fresh installation on another HDD, you can use the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard, located in System Tools, to transfer all your important settings and information, and it works very well.

You collect the transfer information from the old machine store it in a file and transfer the data to the new HDD, using the Wizard.

That's not exactly accurate.

With most cases except some brand name computers HDD tagged, you can do a Repair Re-Installation of WinXP and not have to do a fresh install.

Even in a worse case scenario you still have the Files and Settings Transfer Wizard to save the day.

materene

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
I finally had to do a parallel install to salvage my important stuff, not exactly the way I wanted it to go since it is a 1TB drive and so many programs installed. The repair would have been fine except I forgot to uninstall sp3 and explorer, I think it may have something to do with the stall even though some people say using the repair from your system disc will still install and the two cause no harm except maybe explorer would not work. The repair just looks at the hardware exactly as it does on a clean install and a new motherboard gets new drivers. In my case the system32 config got messed up and locked me out of safe mode and also it does not give you a second chance to repair if a first attempt is botched. Still lucky my entire drive was intact and no data was lost. So all is well that ends well, I'm using the machine typing this and next week soon as I get a new external I'm going to move things to it and just reformat this drive. Only about 2/3rd of my stuff works, all that has no registry entry of course will work, some games are like that and write nothing to the registry, like Ghost Recon1 & 2. My photoshop plugins are balking and I would need to reinstall all of them to get rid of the bugs, so that's the main reason I'll reformat soon.
It was a learning experience since I never had the need to do a parallel install, if you can still see your data then the parallel is a last resort to save things.

Thanks to all the input from everyone