hotshot_hodson

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
Hi all,

I've been out of the system building game a long time now, but have gotten to the point where my old 'rig' just won't cut it anymore, so i'm out to build a new machine, mainly for gaming.

The machine does have a budget, so parts i suggest here may well not be the best around, but from what i've seen i can afford them.

I am going for an Intel i7 860

on a Asus ROG Maximus III Fomula P55 mobo

with upto x4 Corsair Dominator GT DIMMs totalling 8gb

My main question here is that i've looked at getting the amazing looking Cooler Master V8 CPU cooler. But it does look fairly substantial!

Does anyone know if all this will fit together? Mainly will the V8 fit over that RAM on this board, With/Without the supplied RAM cooler.

Any help would be much appreciated!

hotshot_hodson

Distinguished
May 1, 2008

**Shameless Bump**

1. Please provide a link to the exact Corsair Dominator GT memory modules you want to purchase. We need to look at the specs and images in order to determine if the memory module will interfere with a tower style cpu heatsink.

2. Please provide a link to the exact pc case you intend to use. We need to check the width of the case in order to determine if the case is wide enough to accomodate a tower style cpu heatsink.

Here is a link to a very good web site with a lot of useful information about cpu heatsinks that will help you make an informed decision:

http://www.frostytech.com/top5heatsinks.cfm

You can use the Google embedded search feature at the web site to find more information about heatsinks for specific cpu sockets.

The memory modules will have to be installed without the tall, comb like, heatspreaders. A memory module with a tall heatspreader located in the memory slot closest to the cpu socket will interefere with large tower style heatsinks. Tom's Hardware has published several memory articles. The articles mentioned that tall heatspreaders are a waste of time. Other sites have confirmed the findings. Optimal meamory cooling is achieved with no heatspreaders. The cpu heatsink fan is so close to the memory that it pulls air right over the memory modules.

The Jeantech Unicorn case is 235mm wide. That works out to 9.17 which is much wider than a typical case. The case can easily accomodate any of those extra large, 160mm tall cpu heatsinks and still have room left over for a fan on the case side panel.

I took a look at images of the motherboard. I did not see anything that would intefere with a cpu heatsink.

hotshot_hodson

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
Wow that's an extremely thorough and concise reply.

Thank you very much JohnnyLucky, i doth my cap to you sir.

I shall go ahead with my purchases, and set them up as you have suggested.

Once again, many thanks!