Sign in with
Your question

Can a Giga-Byte GA-7N400 Pro2 Motherboard benefit from an SSD drive?

Last response: in Storage
October 18, 2011 3:51:09 PM

I have a Giga-Byte GA-7N400 Pro2 Motherboard with an Athlon 2800+. I am using HDD drives and would like increased load speed, etcetera from a SSD drive. I this probable? The motherboard has IDE connectors and only SATA-raid, IDE-raid.

Andy
a b V Motherboard
October 18, 2011 4:05:06 PM

any computer will benefit from it. but you have sata 1 which is 1.5 Mb/s. so getting 75% of that theoretical speed is still about 4 times faster than you have now. which is about what to expect. 4 times faster load times.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a c 292 G Storage
October 19, 2011 12:50:01 PM

Yes, an SSD will improve your load speed, but you might get a better speed improvement from a more modern motherboard and CPU. The trick is to identify the bottleneck component, and if that board only has SATA I it must be pretty old. I checked - it's more than six years old.
m
l
October 26, 2011 1:14:22 AM

afm64junk said:
I have a Giga-Byte GA-7N400 Pro2 Motherboard with an Athlon 2800+. I am using HDD drives and would like increased load speed, etcetera from a SSD drive. I this probable? The motherboard has IDE connectors and only SATA-raid, IDE-raid.

Andy

...more info...

I would upgrade to a newer motherboard EXCEPT that I need the card slots (old style) for the two Delta 44 sound recording cards I have. The newer ones have only have the PCI-E (express?) slots. UNLESS I am misinformed because I looked a while ago and dropped the whole idea so no further research.
m
l
Related resources
!