Sign in with
Your question

To use air filter or not?

Last response: in Components
February 3, 2010 3:11:59 PM

My case has PSU mounted at the bottom and it has an air filter over the hole. The bottom of the case is like only 5-10mm off the ground. With the air filter would this result in too little air entering the PSU and cause it to be noisy and overheating? Is it better to remove the filter to give it more airflow?

More about : air filter

a b ) Power supply
February 3, 2010 3:59:11 PM

Nope - having it that close to the floor it is going to need the filter - otherwise it will be pulling all kinds of dust etc. into the case (figure dust particles etc. tend to fall to the ground surface and having a fan right above it sucking in all of that debris is going to need a filter !) - I'd suggest getting some type of small legs or a small platform (possibly a couple boards or similar) to raise it a few inches off of the ground if it needs the room for airflow instead of removing the filter.
m
l
February 3, 2010 4:17:40 PM

JDFan said:
Nope - having it that close to the floor it is going to need the filter - otherwise it will be pulling all kinds of dust etc. into the case (figure dust particles etc. tend to fall to the ground surface and having a fan right above it sucking in all of that debris is going to need a filter !) - I'd suggest getting some type of small legs or a small platform (possibly a couple boards or similar) to raise it a few inches off of the ground if it needs the room for airflow instead of removing the filter.

I flip the computer case over, looked at the bottom of the PSU and it is already collecting dust. It has only been there for a week. That's pretty much end of the debate.
m
l
!