How often is Pentium 4 CPU the point of failure?

Tags:
Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 22, 2004 2:58:01 PM

I have a Toshiba Satellite 1905-S301 that has gone unstable recently.
The problems range from hanging in the BIOS on boot to Blue Screens
of Death when entering Win XP.

I cleaned off the heat sink, and re-applied heat sink grease. That did
not help. It looks like it is a problem with the mainboard. In general,
what percentage of mainboard failures are caused by the CPU?

Tim
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 22, 2004 4:08:17 PM

Tim Gepp wrote:
> I have a Toshiba Satellite 1905-S301 that has gone unstable recently.
> The problems range from hanging in the BIOS on boot to Blue Screens
> of Death when entering Win XP.
>
> I cleaned off the heat sink, and re-applied heat sink grease. That did
> not help. It looks like it is a problem with the mainboard. In
> general, what percentage of mainboard failures are caused by the CPU?
>
> Tim

There are no publicly available data on which to make a conjecture.
However, the main points of system failures appear to be failed RAM and
HD. There are many mainboard failures from abuse, spills, and the like
having nothing to do with the CPU. How do you arrive at the CPU as the
source of your computer's problems? Does it fail during POST or fail to
POST? What Windows errors are reported?

a b D Laptop
June 22, 2004 8:16:21 PM

quaoar,

At this point, I am just desperately trying to find another solution
than to replace the $700 mainboard.

I am unsure when it hangs in POST. Sometimes it gives a LONG SHORT SHORT
beep sequence. The Blue Screens of death go by so fast, I can't see
them before it reboots.

My guess is that it is RAM. Are those chips usually soldered in on
the mainboard?

Thanks,

Tim

"Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message news:<qsydnQxhxNYP6EXdRVn-tw@comcast.com>...
> Tim Gepp wrote:
> > I have a Toshiba Satellite 1905-S301 that has gone unstable recently.
> > The problems range from hanging in the BIOS on boot to Blue Screens
> > of Death when entering Win XP.
> >
> > I cleaned off the heat sink, and re-applied heat sink grease. That did
> > not help. It looks like it is a problem with the mainboard. In
> > general, what percentage of mainboard failures are caused by the CPU?
> >
> > Tim
>
> There are no publicly available data on which to make a conjecture.
> However, the main points of system failures appear to be failed RAM and
> HD. There are many mainboard failures from abuse, spills, and the like
> having nothing to do with the CPU. How do you arrive at the CPU as the
> source of your computer's problems? Does it fail during POST or fail to
> POST? What Windows errors are reported?

June 23, 2004 2:41:29 AM

I've never experienced a mobo or CPU failure, but I do know that CPUs fail -
and the main reason, in my opinion, is overheating. So make sure your
cooling fans are working, and blow out the dust occasionally with one of
those compressed air cans sold at computer stores.

Having said that, however, the most frequent failures occur with RAM, and
that could very well be your problem.

"Tim Gepp" <timgep@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I have a Toshiba Satellite 1905-S301 that has gone unstable recently.
> The problems range from hanging in the BIOS on boot to Blue Screens
> of Death when entering Win XP.
>
> I cleaned off the heat sink, and re-applied heat sink grease. That did
> not help. It looks like it is a problem with the mainboard. In general,
> what percentage of mainboard failures are caused by the CPU?
>
> Tim
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 23, 2004 2:48:39 AM

Tim Gepp wrote:
> quaoar,
>
> At this point, I am just desperately trying to find another solution
> than to replace the $700 mainboard.
>
> I am unsure when it hangs in POST. Sometimes it gives a LONG SHORT
> SHORT
> beep sequence. The Blue Screens of death go by so fast, I can't see
> them before it reboots.
>
> My guess is that it is RAM. Are those chips usually soldered in on
> the mainboard?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Tim

>> Tim Gepp wrote:
>>> I have a Toshiba Satellite 1905-S301 that has gone unstable
>>> recently. The problems range from hanging in the BIOS on boot to
>>> Blue Screens of Death when entering Win XP.
>>>
>>> I cleaned off the heat sink, and re-applied heat sink grease. That
>>> did not help. It looks like it is a problem with the mainboard. In
>>> general, what percentage of mainboard failures are caused by the
>>> CPU?
>>>
>>> Tim
>>
>> There are no publicly available data on which to make a conjecture.
>> However, the main points of system failures appear to be failed RAM
>> and HD. There are many mainboard failures from abuse, spills, and
>> the like having nothing to do with the CPU. How do you arrive at
>> the CPU as the source of your computer's problems? Does it fail
>> during POST or fail to POST? What Windows errors are reported?

For the Windows errors, in Device Manager, Advanced Tab, Error
Reporting... uncheck the box Automatically Restart on Error. Google for
memtest and run it in full diagnostic mode. Check the manufacturer of
the HD for a drive diagnostic. Check Toshiba for the beep code,
probably do this first. RAM is rarely soldered to the mainboard these
days. It is accessed from (typically) an access panel on the bottom of
the laptop.

a b D Laptop
June 23, 2004 7:03:11 AM

Papa wrote:

> I've never experienced a mobo or CPU failure, but I do know that CPUs fail -
> and the main reason, in my opinion, is overheating. So make sure your
> cooling fans are working, and blow out the dust occasionally with one of
> those compressed air cans sold at computer stores.
>
> Having said that, however, the most frequent failures occur with RAM, and
> that could very well be your problem.
>

> "Tim Gepp" <timgep@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>I have a Toshiba Satellite 1905-S301 that has gone unstable recently.
>>The problems range from hanging in the BIOS on boot to Blue Screens
>>of Death when entering Win XP.
>>
>>I cleaned off the heat sink, and re-applied heat sink grease. That did
>>not help. It looks like it is a problem with the mainboard. In general,
>>what percentage of mainboard failures are caused by the CPU?
>>
>>Tim

Hi,
There is such thing as hardware T&D(test & diagnostics).
Why don't you run one and see?
Tony
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 23, 2004 4:18:31 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions from everyone. I have already
blown the dust out of the fan and heat sink. I think I will
concentrate on the possiblity of RAM as the failure, and
try running a diagnostic.

Tim

!