Sign in with
Your question

Q6600 OC & Upgrade

Tags:
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
April 22, 2012 12:01:00 AM

Hi there, Ill first give you a desc of my actual rig so you know what I have to work over right now.

- Intel Q6600 @2.4Ghz (OC 3,00Ghz(333*9) running 24hrs primer95/100rds Max IBT stable at 1.3125V. Temps are 31º/68º (notice 68º are only with prime95/IBT, it has never gone past 58º even under heavy gaming or HD encoding)

- Motherboard Gygabite P35-DS3L rev2.0 (BIOS updated to F8f, wich is the recomm version in the mb oc post guide)

- Cpu HSF CoolerMaster Hyper 212+

- Ram Transcend 2x2Gb DDR2-666Mhz 5-5-5-15) ValueRAM

- Nvidia GT520

- PSU Phoenix 550W Silent Power (nt very good, 1x12v, no 4/6pins pcie..)

- Case Thermaltake Soprano RS101.

- Windows 7 64bits

So now, I am aiming to struggle my cpu the most trying to reach 3,6Ghz. Its running at 333*9(3Ghz) right now totally 24h stable with a 1.3125v. I have a somewhat little big Vdroop (dunno whats the avg) wich Ive been trying to get rid of with the Vdroop pencil mod for my mb model, it didnt seem to work much so Id try it again or asking a friend wich is a proff solderer (nt rlly sure its spelled right) to make the hardmod for me.

- RAM
The main problem to OC right now seems to be my RAM. It wont get past 333Fsb no matter what Vdimm/timmings I set. Ive been doing many tests with Vcores incr and timmings and Im sure is just a matter of low-q ram. I got 2x2Gb OCZ Titanium PC2-6400 4-4-4-12@2v wich were totally stable with a higher oc. Unfortunately one of the modules were faulty as hell and I had to send it back to the vendor (they were nt new). So looking at the prices of the new DDR2 modules I have to say, WTFF????

How is it even possible 2x2Gb DDR2-800 its way more expensive than a 2x4GB DDR3-1600 both from the same brand? Its just hilarious CL4/5 ddr2 costs double the cl9 ddr3. Any explain? Take into account Im from Europe so I cant buy them from newegg and a few popular only US/Canada online shops. Any advice for an online shop ordering good DDR2-800 wich could be somewhat pricey? How far do you think I could push my rig with it? Im nt very sure abt getting PC2-6400/PC2-8000.

- Cooling
Now for the cooling part, Im using the included fan with the case (not a clue abt brand but it seems to have a good airflow, even being a bit noisy) as frontal intake, it was first used as rear exhaust but I moved it when I got the hyper 212+. I though the hsf fan would be able to act for it (the hsf fan is placed to the right of the hs, as intake (air from ram slots going thru cpu)) and it seems to be doing really good.
Anyway, I have a Coolink Swif2-120P fan ordered wich Ive seen some reviews and it has a real grt airflow/rpm only to the cost of a few more dbs (60-120cfm for 9-27dbm I think it was). Should I use it as exhaust? or maybe replace the case fan as front intake and get the stockcase fan back to exhaust? I tho abt getting a 2nd one like this and using both of them along with the fan from the 212+ (wich Ive been unable to get the model-specifs) for a push-pull-pull set up. HSFan - 120P-HS-120P would be a good idea? or should I get rid of the stock fan and use one of three as intake and forget abt push-pull-pull?

- PSU/GPU
Tbh, my PSU sucks hard. I know, I think its the same one I was using with my prev rig. It has only one 12v line (12v/6A), no 4/6 pin connectors for PCI-e comps and wiring sucks. It looks the worst of my actual setup. I have a plan to get a new Saphire HD6870 wich I think would be the best spent money right now in a gpu (amanzing perf/cost). So Im sure Id have to change my PSU for a new and better one. I want it to play actual games such as Crysis, Skyrim, BF3, CoD, DIII when it releases... u know

Ive seen all of the moderm PSUs (well, abt every psu alive atm shld be newer than mine) have the fan in the top of the case. This is a problem, since my case has no superior grill. My actual PSU has the fan (8cm) in the back, just over the rear exhaust fan. But I couldnt get a new one with the fan in the top for obvious reasons, any advice?

I wouldnt like to spend a whole lot in the PSU but I dnt want a crap-one. About 75$ max. I dont plan to make more upgrades to this rig so If it can work along with the actual comps its ok. Also, I could get an used psu (ofc If I find a good one, Im nt scared of 2nd-hand market) if that means Its a better-branded-quality one. Any model/watt advice to start from?

I think thats all, sorry for the eng and the text-wall, but I wanna be sure to be the more specific I could so you can have a good view of my actual chances/options.

any help appreciated, thx in advance :hello: 

More about : q6600 upgrade

a c 197 K Overclocking
April 22, 2012 12:50:44 AM

OK ....

I will address the overclocking later.

RAM -------------------------------

RAM - DDR2 is more expensive because DDR3 is now the mainstream product with most of the production facilities focused on making DDR3. DDR2 is now a more expensive niche product. You want DDR2-800 (PC2-6400). Most DDR2-1066 is simply -800 RAM that has been tested at the higher speed, usually at a higher voltage and more relaxing memory timings.

DDR2-800 RAM will be running at rated speed when your CPU is at 3.6 GHz (400 MHz X 9). So save your money and do not buy anything faster.

Power ------------------------------

You will need a better PSU. Now, do not worry about the pictures of the fan on top of the PSU. It is just for advertising. If you have a case with a top mounted CPU, you will mount the PSU with the fan facing downward toward the inside of the case. The fan will exhaust air out the back of the PSU. That is very common now because you can use a larger fan (130 - 140 mm). That means that because you can move the same amount of air at a slower rpm, your PSU is more quiet.

One of my systems has an OC'd Q9550, 4 GB RAM, a GTX260 - a card with slightly higher power requirements than a 6870, a Gigabyte EP45-UD3P motherboard, 3 hard drives and an optical, and a Soundblaster card all powered by a Corsair TX750.

Running 3 instances of Prime95 to load the CPU and 3DMark06 to load the 4th CPU core and GPU, it pulls 375 watts from the wall as measured by my Kill-a-Watt meter. Figuring 80% PSU efficiency, the system pulls 300 watts (average) from the PSU. Peak is probably 10 - 20% higher, but the meter only reads average power.

I like to operate my power supplies at no more than 50 - 60% of capacity (need to save some power for Murphy :) ), but I'd recommend no less than a good 500 watt PSU with at least 30 amps on the 12 volt rails.

Cooling -----------------------------

You definitely need better airflow through your case. You have one of the best economy coolers around but airflow through the case is choking it. Take the side off and place a table fan to blow into the case. I bet you will see a significant drop in load temps.

Basic rule of thumb when adding fans is
Front and side: intake, and
Top and back : exhaust.

Overclocking ----------------------

Shadow's Gigabyte motherboard OC guide:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-245679_11_0.ht...
It's for an EP35-DS3L.

Go through the guides. Then take your core voltage off Auto and set your memory voltage to factory recommended values. Change the System Memory Multiplier from AUTO to 2.00. Then when you increase the FSB, the memory clock will rise in in proportion with it. At an FSB of 266 MHz, your memory clock should be at 533 MHz. That seems low with DDR2-800 RAM, but at 3.3 GHz (367 MHz X 9), your RAM will be running at 733 MHz. You may not be able to reach 3.6 GHz, but you should be able to hit at least 3.3 - 3.4 GHz.

You should maintain a 1:1 FSB:RAM ratio for two reasons:
It is the most stable (when you are pushing an extreme overclock, you want all the stability you can get).
Second, overclocking RAM in a Core2 system little if any real improvement in performance.

Here's one place we talked about that:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/251715-29-ratio-myth

You will probably reach temperature limits before core speed or recommended voltage limits (1.50 volts).

I wouldn't worry about less than .05 volt vdroop.

a b K Overclocking
April 22, 2012 1:32:58 AM

for starters your psu could be causing problems with your overclock you should be able to get around 3.6 out of that cpu but the 212 might have a hard time keeping it cool but you could put the 2nd fan on it for push pull just keep it under 1.45 for longevity sake. as jsc said ddr2 is a thing of the past and ddr4 spec are being sorted now so in a few years ddr3 will go the same as ddr2, unfortunately deal with it or try and pick some ddr2 off friends that are getting rid of their old compus. what you may have to do to get you overclock up is if there isnt memory straps to keep the ram with in its operating speed you could try slowing the timings on them and giving them a little more volts, its been a while since i used ddr2 now though. also your motherboard was on the cheaper side also which wont help. all that said if you can get it running at 3.4-3.6 with the new video card and possibly an extra 4 gig ram you should be able to play any game out there at reasonable settings
Related resources
April 22, 2012 3:56:26 AM

I cant totally oc my current rams anymore from 666 (333fsb), even at 733mhz/+0.2v and timmings lowered from 5-5-5-15 to 7-7-7-21 I get stability issues. I know I would be able to push with that Vcore becouse as I said, in the time I sent back the faulty modules I did test with the good one, being able to get past 3Ghz with little Vc add. I think its just the module being way too lazy/crap.

I tho the Gygabites P35 were a good mb for oc, at least from what Ive been able to read, Ive found many ppl running their q6600 oc with these, and some of them were getting equal or higher ocs than Im trying.

Anyways, Ive been thinking abt the option of getting a new mb. If I could get a good one with:

Socket 775
DDR3 (so I could save many bucks from ram buyout)
SATA-III (as the only thing I could barely upgrade besides the psu/gpu/ram could probably be a SSD in a near future. I guess Id take adv of the 6Gb/s sata port.

I found these ones in a country dealer, any advice wld be appreciated.

http://www.pccomponentes.com/gigabyte_ga_g41m_combo.htm...
http://www.pccomponentes.com/gigabyte_ga_g41mt_s2pt.htm...
http://www.pccomponentes.com/asus_p5g41t_m_lx3.html
http://www.pccomponentes.com/asus_p5g41t_m_lx.html

Theres some Asrock aswell but tbh I dnt feel them any trustworth, recently got a friend to get a 775 one and he had to deal with jumper-crap for every little bios opt.

I could get one of these mb and 2x2Gb or even 2x4Gb ddr3-800 for abt the same price as 2x2Gb ddr2.

PD: wouldnt an exhaust fan under the psu conflict in any way with the 212+ push/pull airflow? My psu is located right over my cpu socket.

thx for responses
a b K Overclocking
April 22, 2012 4:44:00 AM

Toperharrier said:
I cant totally oc my current rams anymore from 666 (333fsb), even at 733mhz/+0.2v and timmings lowered from 5-5-5-15 to 7-7-7-21 I get stability issues. I know I would be able to push with that Vcore becouse as I said, in the time I sent back the faulty modules I did test with the good one, being able to get past 3Ghz with little Vc add. I think its just the module being way too lazy/crap.

I tho the Gygabites P35 were a good mb for oc, at least from what Ive been able to read, Ive found many ppl running their q6600 oc with these, and some of them were getting equal or higher ocs than Im trying.

Anyways, Ive been thinking abt the option of getting a new mb. If I could get a good one with:

Socket 775
DDR3 (so I could save many bucks from ram buyout)
SATA-III (as the only thing I could barely upgrade besides the psu/gpu/ram could probably be a SSD in a near future. I guess Id take adv of the 6Gb/s sata port.

I found these ones in a country dealer, any advice wld be appreciated.

http://www.pccomponentes.com/gigabyte_ga_g41m_combo.htm...
http://www.pccomponentes.com/gigabyte_ga_g41mt_s2pt.htm...
http://www.pccomponentes.com/asus_p5g41t_m_lx3.html
http://www.pccomponentes.com/asus_p5g41t_m_lx.html

Theres some Asrock aswell but tbh I dnt feel them any trustworth, recently got a friend to get a 775 one and he had to deal with jumper-crap for every little bios opt.

I could get one of these mb and 2x2Gb or even 2x4Gb ddr3-800 for abt the same price as 2x2Gb ddr2.

PD: wouldnt an exhaust fan under the psu conflict in any way with the 212+ push/pull airflow? My psu is located right over my cpu socket.

thx for responses

how is an exhaust fan going to conflict as the 212 should be facing that way already so all the air gets blown out the back of your case to keep the ambient temp as low as possible. that mobo isnt a terrible one being gigabyte its just about the 2nd cheapest one you can get from gigabyte on that chipset so voltage regulation,chipset cooling etc will be very average. i definately wouldnt waste money buying a new mobo though if your gonna do that you might as well get an 1155 and a 2500k while your at it, same goes for ram too unless you get it for a steal dont buy it!! all the decent 775 boards seem to be holding there value 2nd hand too i sold my q9400 and gigabyte p45a-ud3p on ebay about 6 months ago and it only cost me 50 bucks extra to go to a p67a-ud3p-b3 and a 2500k, so before you go buying stuff maybe consider putting your stuff on ebay and see how you go with a reserve, the q6600 was a desirable chip in its day u may get lucky like me!
!