Sign in with
Your question

New build, but freezes or reboots during Windows installation

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
November 21, 2009 7:46:31 AM

I recently built a new computer using completely new parts. The computer turns on and successfuly POSTs. However, when I try to install an OS it will always freeze or reboot while starting the setup, or in the very early stages of setup.

The BIOS correctly detects all of the components. The CPU temperature hovers around 35-40 C, and system temperature around 30 C, so I don't think it's overheating. I thought maybe my Windows 7 installation cd was broken, so I tried installing Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Ubuntu, but all these attempts were met with the same freezing/rebooting problem. One or two attempts at an OS installation ended when the installation froze and the motherboard emitted a continous beep.

Specs:
Processor: Intel Core i5-750 2.6 ghz
CPU Cooler: Stock
Motherboard: MSI P55-CD53
Memory: Corsair XMS3 4 GB (2 x 2 GB) DDR3 Dual Channel 1333 mhz
Power Supply: Ultra LSP650 650W
Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon HD5750 1GB
Hard Drive: WD Caviar 500GB 7200/16MB/SATA
Case: Rosewill R5605-BK

I ran some tests from Ultimate Boot CD on the RAM (Memtest86+) and Hard Drive, but both came back with no errors. I also tried running on only one stick of RAM and swapping out the sticks to see if one was defective, but in both cases the installations still failed. While building the computer I used an anti-static wristband and I added each component one at a time to make sure they all worked.

Could this problem be pinpointed onto a particular hardware component failure? Maybe the memory since the system keeps randomly rebooting and freezing?

Anyone know what is wrong, or have any suggestions on what to do?
Thanks!

More about : build freezes reboots windows installation

November 21, 2009 9:07:02 AM

First thing i would do is to go into the BIOS and manually set the RAM timings and also the rated voltage, I would also manually set the CPU Vcore volatge.

If the above doesnt work then I would try swapping out components one at a time with a friends components. Its pretty hard to pin point the problem because its a completely new build.
m
l
Anonymous
November 21, 2009 2:02:37 PM

Are you sure you hooked up the power supply correctly? It sounds like a power problem. Try booting it without the video card (power hog) and see if it makes a difference, could be a bad power supply or a defective motherboard.

Otherwise, swapping components as previously posted will be your best bet.
m
l
Related resources
November 21, 2009 2:08:45 PM

Quote:
Are you sure you hooked up the power supply correctly? It sounds like a power problem. Try booting it without the video card (power hog) and see if it makes a difference, could be a bad power supply or a defective motherboard.

Otherwise, swapping components as previously posted will be your best bet.

OP says it POSTs fine. Not sure how you'll start the install process without video.

My first thought is RAM. Have you checked your manual to see what the beep code means?

It may be worth a shot to try a different hard drive.
m
l
Anonymous
November 22, 2009 12:57:39 AM

MB should have onboard video. I'm thinking that, as the OS installs, it's initializing a component that's pulling more power than is available, leading to an unstable environment. HD failure makes sense too, but I'm guessing that the checks that he's run rule that out, but you never know...

m
l
November 22, 2009 1:00:12 AM

That board doesn't have onboard video.

I'm not thinking the hard drive failed, because it starts, then freezes. I'm thinking there could be a bad sector on the platter.
m
l
November 22, 2009 2:13:19 AM

Thanks for the answers everyone. I took the hard drive that I'm using and stuck it in an external case and it works fine. I also tried to stick a known working hard drive into this build to install windows, and I still got the same freezing/rebooting problems.

Yes, this board doesn't have an onboard video, so I can't really boot without the card... but I don't think it's an insufficient power issue. The computer runs fine without freezing or randomly rebooting if I'm just playing around in BIOS or running memtests, cputests, or hard drive tests.

I'm starting to think that this problem might be caused by defective memory. My hard drive seems to be working, and I always thought random freezes/rebooting were problems caused by bad memory. I'm just puzzled since the Memtest86+ came back with no errors and using just one stick and swapping between the two doesn't fix the problem either.

Another question, could the mobo being defective cause this problem of allowing everything to boot correctly and show up in bios correctly, but prevent the installation of windows with freezing and crashing or is this strictly a memory thing?

m
l
November 22, 2009 2:23:27 AM

How long did you let memtest run? To get good results, it should be left running for several hours. I usually suggest overnight.
m
l
November 22, 2009 6:54:08 PM

So I took your advice and ran memtest for close to 17 hours but it still detected no errors. So should I rule out my memory being defective or should I still try returning it and trying a new set?

Could it be a bad motherboard?
m
l
November 23, 2009 10:04:54 AM

I wouldnt send the memory back yet. Try someone elses powersupply, Ypur powersupply is more than enough, but you might have got a slighty defective one.

Also try someone elses graphics card, If none of that works then I'd say its your motherboard
m
l
!